The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Montero Tie Rods

prove_it

I did try to search for this but came up short for answers. I've read about using the montero outer tie rods and was wondering which model Montero do I need to use to get the right parts? Also what makes these better than stock replacement?

prove_it

Come on, somebody has got to know something......

DR1665

What's the point of the Montero tie rods? Beefier? If so, I might be interested for the would-be rally car...

prove_it

That's what I want to know, but Im not sure what year montero to use.

IncorpoRatedX

go to autozone and ask them to bring up a couple, including the stock one. the 97 montero sport one looks a lot like a beefier version of the stock galant one.

curtis

Ok are we talking outer or inter or both. Suspension is the first thing on the agenda when I start putting the car together so now's the time for these

IncorpoRatedX

outer only, monteros use a steering box.

fuel

I have to ask, have there been any cases of the stock GVR-4 outer tie rod ends failing? (ie not just play in them, but failing to the extent they come apart and are dangerous)

cheekychimp

I've never heard of it but the point about this part is that it is a direct bolt on and requires no modification. I am not sure how cost compares. I do understand the "if it ain't broke then don't fix it!" approach but in my case it seemed inexpensive insurance given the fact that I was increasing power significantly over stock. There are however some very powerful cars on here using stock tie rods without issues so it would not seem to be a weak link in the chain. I personally think that it would be a more worthwhile upgrade on a rally car or one that sees very rough roads.

Terry Posten

The only front-end part that I find weak are the lower balljoints. I have gone through 3 sets in 7 years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned