The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Inermintint total loss of power in car while driving help

RHDgalantVR4

so while I was driving down the freeway BAM car totally looses absolutely all power (while I was on a bridge leaving me nowhere to go) to everything like someone flipped a switch. When this happens its at really hot outside temps and the only thing that still works when this happens is the 4 ways. If I let the car sit for a few min with the key off bam car works again and only if the key is turned off after it happens. I have had it on scanners and to 3 top mechanics that come highly recommended for our cars and no one can find the problem. I just want to figure this out and it seems to be a unsolvable issue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

DynastyLCD

im curious if an MPI relay would do this?

just guessing here, but basically when this happens, the starter still works, the lights work, radio, etc. just wont fire up, no gauge movement, no nothing?

RHDgalantVR4

like dead in the water dead no starter no stereo no windows nothing except the 4 ways.

unistylef

I've seen this happen before when a friend of mine was driving fast, took it from 3rd to reverse on accident and the car seized.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Check the battery terminals and especially the fuses on the positive terminal.

The bolts holding the fuses can loosen up and/or corrode, leading to exactly the condition you are describing.

RHDgalantVR4

It has a brand new batt fuses all good. Alt is good. the car started and ran today but im scared its gonna let me down again. need to figure this out

mitsuturbo

Does it have a turbo timer?
Whether it does or not, check the connection to the ignition switch behind the driver's kick panel.

James

Check for grounds. Make sure they are all tight.

RHDgalantVR4

Look what I found. The turbo timer harness /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif melted. looks like it was not making a good connection after the 7 years in the car it had wiggled apart just enough to cause a bad connection.

mitsuturbo

This happened to me, and i've seen and heard of it happening to others. The hks turbo timer harness that is so popular which DOES NOT HAVE A RETAINING TAB likes to vibrate loose over time and cause precisely this issue. This is exactly why i told you to look there.

I'm now using an Apexi harness, which has the proper retaining tab, and clips in like factory wiring.

mitsuturbo

Quoting DynastyLCD:
im curious if an MPI relay would do this?

just guessing here, but basically when this happens, the starter still works, the lights work, radio, etc. just wont fire up, no gauge movement, no nothing?

I once bought a "quick flip" car that had an MPI relay connection that someone had broken the retaining tab off of for $800 (they also had the WP pulley on backward, and it was eating alt. belts). The same issue the OP found resulted. I had to get a new connector, and remove the female spades from all the holes in the original, and put the new plastic housing/plug in so it would stay proper and snug in the relay.

The factory stuff ALL has clips that hold sh*t together for a good reason.

edit: BTW, i replaced that connector and flipped the WP pulley around, replaced the alt belt, and sold the car for $2300 in less than a week.

Last edited:

RHDgalantVR4

Quoting mitsuturbo:
This happened to me, and i've seen and heard of it happening to others. The hks turbo timer harness that is so popular which DOES NOT HAVE A RETAINING TAB likes to vibrate loose over time and cause precisely this issue. This is exactly why i told you to look there.

I'm now using an Apexi harness, which has the proper retaining tab, and clips in like factory wiring.

Thanks for your help!!!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned