The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

got stuck for a little bit with the galant today.

gtluke

I went mountain biking thismorning up in ringwood NJ, picked up my friend, dropped him off and on my way back to my house (about 100 miles total) I stopped for some gas, got on the highway and boom, no power. sh*t. roll to a stop. I'm not even joking in the slightest that I'm on the shoulder minimally 50 feet from where I got stuck with the broken MSD in my mustang last year, which was 500feet from where the mustang puked the oil pump 5 years prior.
Jump out, check under the hood. No fuel pressure, great. I previously had had problems with the connector in the truck for the fuel pump. Problem being the Supra pump and stock wiring and it draws too many amps and the connector melts over I dunno, the decade this car has had a huge fuel pump. I eventually bypassed the factory connector but I checked anyway and everything was still in tact.
Unscrewed the fuel pump relay under the glove box and I can feel it click on and off with the ignition. unplug the relay and that connector is all melty too from all the years. About 3 years ago I got a new connector and carefully replaced it and now it's poop too. So I figure it was this connector and I use a vampire tap and jump the wires. Still no fuel pressure. WTF
I can't find my test light anywhere, I must have left it in my garage. I have a JDM rear bumper so the side marker lights in the rear do nothing, so I unscrewed it from inside the trunk and cut the bulb and pigtail out to make a test light. Get back under the dash, power going TO the relay, power leaving the relay. god dammit wtf is causing no fuel pressure? It's about this time where I can hear a thud when I turn the key on. I can't possibly for the life of me figure out what would make a knock noise when I turn the key on. Figure it's something on the highway so I ignore it. I leave the relay jumpaed and FINALLY the cars stop coming so fast that I can hear the fuel pump running. OKAY WTF? go to the front of the car, I can't feel any movement in the fuel line, gauge shows 0. Plugged filter? nah, no way could it do that so fast.
Get under the back of the car and I can hear the pump running, and I can hear the gas flowing around in the tank.
WTF?
Then, it clicks. I KNOW! and it explains the knock noise!
I figure the hose between the fuel pump and sender ruptured. I take the sender out and now I remember that this car doesn't have that hose, but the pump had fallen out of the sender. When I turned the key on it would wind up the motor and it would smack into the tank. haha
Supra pumps fit like crap and I guess however I mounted this thing years and years ago wasn't so great. I probably used a wire tie or something that has cracked off from being in gas. I remount the pump, use a hose clamp to hold the pump in better, and wire tie the sock on teh pump because I can't find the little metal thingy that is supposed to hold it on.
At about this time I hear some beeping from the highway and look around and then continue on with what I'm doing. Then my phone starts ringing, it's Rene (aka Toothy aka DrSmile). I'm like oh man he probably wants to go on a bike ride it's nice out and he's getting out of work about now..... oh sh*t he works off this highway. sh*t... I answer.
"Is that you on the side of the road?"
...."yeah"
"I'll be right there"
hahahhaha
I'm in a really odd spot inbetween highway merges and ramps so it takes a while for him to get to me but I have most of it bolted back up. I get the wires sorted out again that I messed with and clean up.
Vrooom, it starts. f***ing sweet. Rene follows me to my exit to make sure I'm good. All good.

Picture of said fix:
click

So, I guess it's time for a fuel pump rewire so I stop melting connectors. I mean that wasn't the problem but it looks like it will be eventually. I'll have to stop by the junkyard for some more DSM Horn relays. They make for awesome high amp weatherproof relays. I have a whole pile of them that drive my fog lights and head lights. Haven't had a single problem yet.

Seriously, how long can I continue to daily drive this car? 262k miles on it now. Been running 12's for over 100k of it too.

When I got home I had to clean up and go out for dinner, for my parents to meet my girlfriend's parents for the first time. We are getting married this year and have been together for about 8 years. heh, talk about awkward. :p

fivestardsm

This is the reason my "Mitsubishi Tool Kit" weighs 50+ pound's

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good catch on all that. What was the total elapsed time?, did you break in to the 12's again? (minutes that is)

I worked on an Eclipse that had the same problem with a Walboro because it was just ziptied on. It took a few minutes to find out the problem, but only a couple to fix it. Of course, I was in a quite garage and could hear the pump dancing easily. The dude got jacked on a $100 tow bill for a 20 minute fix. Thats why you don't own Mitsubishi's if you can't work on them.

Myles

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif
Luke you're truly an MMC guy.
HIPPIE!

steve

Nice!

BTW, I spent by birfday money today at WALMART buying some Mobil 1. BTW, why the hell does the Clinton Walmart have NO camo? Mamasita needs camo for paintball next weekend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

prove_it

I love stories like this. I don't feel so alone now. ha ha
That's what separates us from the DSM crowd. They break down like we do, but for some reason with our cars we still love them. Must be some kind of magic.

3rdstrikedsm

Or sickness^^^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

91GSR

ive spent time on the side of the road with DSM guys. the def have a different mindset. one guy his alternator came undone somehow cuz the bolt sheared off. he was like...f*** it ill just have to drive on striaght battery to get it home..im like...are u effing serious lemme see those tools. i got it back together and not only did he go out racing that night he made it home fine. of course he got it "really" fixed the next day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned