The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

exhaust choices

Brunoboy

So i have a 2.5"-3" straight pipe, one piece with one resonator and a ebay muffler, Well my mother(yes my mother) told me its to loud and im waking up neighbors and her, So I have to change it. I want the most out of my setup but I want to go quieter, any suggestions? I am planning to order a DP off ebay. a ALL Flow cat from siliconeintakes.com and a Vibrant 3" single tip flat black muffler. Vband everything and call it a day. OR I want to get a E-Cut out. What is everyone else running, and is it quiet or Partially loud? Pics would be nice as well. Thanks
-Shane

Sorry no pics, I fail at the internet. But my setup is essentially a 2.5" dp, 3" test pipe, 3" cat back to a magnaflow "box" muffler, with dual outlets to appear more stock. I have received no complaints from the neighbors, and it gets quieter if I put the cat in. The P/N for the muffler is M12198, or just 12198 as I believe the exhaust shop *might* have added the M for their own purposes. It is more like what you'd expect a muscle car guy to use rather than a tuner coffee can style muffler. I have received many compliments on the sound of my car, and even tricked a occifer into thinking that he must have confused the roar of my dump tube for a different car because the exhaust itself isn't nearly that loud.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this is a baffle free muffler, so flow is still top notch. Btw, I can email or text you pics so let me know if you want some that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunoboy

nice, yea i had a magnaflow 2.25 on my car when i bought it, it was nice and stock looking, but then i got my ebay dual and its loud. Im looking at keeping it straight pipe and i want a stockish looking muffler with a low rumble.Thanks
-Shane

Nartanian

You have a sound clip of how loud it is?

Brunoboy

my car? I dont, i already have a resonator and all that, but also im doing this because I want sections. I am looking toward these two mufflers,
1) Single tip

2)This is the muffler on my brothers WRX, and it sounds beasty: Dual tip

And this Resonator:
Resonator
And This Cat replacement:
All Flow Cat

SouthCaliVR4

I have a full 3" with a magnaflow 3'(straight, no baffle, oval body center in/side out) & tapered single magnaflow tip with a high flow cat. Is my car audible Yes but loud no. cops don't even give me a second glance & I think the single tip makes it look even more unassuming. It will get real loud when you're really on it but it's mellow the rest of time.

Last edited:

Brunoboy

thanks guys, i ordered everything already, ill get pics and vid of how it sounds and all.
-Shane

mitsuturbo

The venerable apex'i N1 catback for DSMs is actually pretty mellow and quiet at low RPM. IIRC it has a couple of inline mufflers and a large straight thru melon shooter on the end. Maybe you could build something similar, sans melon-shooter.

Last edited:

I'm running an old 3" Extreme Motorsports downpipe (the one with the nice jointed flex section) from Nate going to the 3" piping kit from Dejon Tool connected to one of the new Dynomax VT mufflers.

Everything you want to know about the Dynomax VT mufflers:
link

Basically, it has a spring-loaded valve in it that stays shut during low flow conditions such as idle or cruising but opens at high exhaust flow to allow for full performance.

Very quiet during normal driving.

Turboman_456

I like my ride quiet so I am runngs stock to a point.I have a vacuum operated exhaust dump were my cat was. Now at 14 psi the dump opens Automatically.So when I am tooling around town at low boost 12 psi my ride stays sleeper.No need to run full 3" exhaust and wear ear plugs.

Brunoboy

link to said device? I know they have them, but wasnt sure i really wanted it lol.
-Shane

Brunoboy

So this is what I went with, Installed and all was $155, welded the muffler on, rewelded a new resonator on and had to v-band the dp to the fake cat, and to the rest of the cat back. Not too bad, all in all it was about $550 with parts and labor, but im very happy with the way it sounds. nice and quiet at idle, and DD it doesnt drone. Conversations can be heard in the cabin aha.I will get a video clip later on.

Old Muffler:

New components, and on the car:

SouthCaliVR4

Only thing I would have done different would be to have the muffler tucked up under & ran a tip to get it out from under the bumper. Mainly cause that's how mine is & I still scrape the tip from time to time, I'm thinking you're gonna scrub that muffler pretty good. Looks good & if your happy with it that's what counts!

Brunoboy

there wasnt any room to push the muffler back, thats where i wanted it but we couldnt do it.

Brunoboy

Universal Applications

Inlet Diameter: 3.00"

Tip(s) Style: 3" Round Tip, Angle Cut (Single Wall)

Muffler Size: 5" x 9" Oval Muffler Body, 15" Long

Overall Length: 20" (including tip)

Tip Length: 5"

Is that a Vibrant muffler? If so, there should be plenty of room to tuck it under more. You'd have to weld a ~6" tip on it to get it to sit inline with the rear of the bumper.

SouthCaliVR4

Mine is that size & tucked right up there & yes, I do have a six inch tip ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif"six inch tip") in order to come just flush with the outermost part of the bumper. It actually looks pretty decent & no chance of staining or melting the bumper.

NickDromez

can i hear it when i pick up the COPS? (if you still have it)

raptorWagon

I have dual tip version on mine and left it tucked up underneath, everyone thinks it stock till they get up close /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.
IMG_2027.jpg

IMG_2024.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned