The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo X turbos...

cheekychimp

Quoting sargeek1975:
Help me out here (cause I'm not the brightest bulb when it comes to memorizing cfm's for turbo's, sizes, yadda yadda); but how much more/better does an Evo VIII/IX/X flow over an Evo III 16G? I know they each are a little different from one another; but I 'assumed' they were all fairly close. Unless you're going to meth or something outrageous; I would think that each of these turbo's can do 400whp all day long with the proper mods. Want more than that? Prepare to spend some money. (yes; I've seen cars push more with these turbo's, but 400 is a good spot to say anyone can make it there with those turbos without getting ridiculous)

So why go through the hassle of of getting something that's not a bolt on, will cost you MORE money to mount; but still 'stock'? When your end result will be fairly close to the Evo III 16G?

'Cool' factor?

Am I missing something?

I think to really evaluate this mod you need to look at the wider picture. Both turbos are clearly 400 hp capable but we are talking about more than peak power output here. Mitsubishi clearly has (or had) a huge R&D budget and I don't think they made changes in their turbo design without good reason. The fact that they continue to use the newer twin scroll design should be evidence in itself before you even look at dyno graphs and the increased performance of each model they produce.

Secondly although people have produced 400 hp on an EVO III turbo proving it can be done, 400 hp is not the norm and is usually associated with a significant number of supporting mods. Now obviously for either turbo if you are increasing boost pressure and power you will need supporting fuel mods BUT you still have to consider the cost of everything else most guys use to get 400 hp out of an EVO III like cams, exhaust manifold and O2 housing, higher compression pistons, rods as well in some cases. This issue comes down to how many similar mods would be required to get 400 hp out of an EVO X turbo on our cars.

The last thing that still makes me want to consider this setup is that parts for our cars are becoming increasingly rare and whilst I am not sure we are in any real danger yet I think availability of the EVO III 16G will eventually diminish but that at that time the later EVO stuff being much newer will still be in circulation.

Alan also made a small, but I believe very relevant point above in that running this setup would move the downpipe away from the alternator which we all know could significantly help extend the alternators life. That revshift manifold is $800. I reckon you could get a downpipe done for maybe $300 and pick up a used low mileage IX/VIII stock turbo for $250-$300 and an O2 housing for $100. So about $1500 all in. It's not cheap but not that extravagant either given what we spend on our cars.

At the drag strip it may not give much of an advantage but on the street in terms of spool, increased response and low end power and torque I think it would be worth it. I've never had a 16G setup so I've decided to go that route first to cut my teeth but on the daily driver I am convinced that in the future if EVO III turbos get too expensive or too difficult to find, this is the obvious affordable progression for a 350-400 hp street car.

Nabeel

Regarding the alternator problem. just make shield for it. I just make one using toilet tissue holder. this looks funny. Bot it is doing the job & it looks nice. I just drill it and use the oil gauge bolt to hold it.

click

Or just get an alternator from a Saturn.

I get; I do. I see the point being made.......but 'all' those supporting mods are now becoming a norm. I don't expect to see a 1G, 2G or Evo be 'fast' unless it has cams, injectors, plugs, exhaust, intake, wideband, fuel pump and a tune. Without those now 'basic' mods you're holding yourself back. And on anything other than an Evo (usdm) you better be getting an fmic.

But.........it's because of all those supporting mods and what they are, who manufactured them, who installed them, what they're doing.......that makes the minor differences in the turbos themselves be almost meaningless.

Sure. Take ONE single car with all those mods and tune it on each of the different turbos and I'll completely agree you'll see differences in spooling, max hp and where the power is.

But three different gvr4's with three different turbos (of those I listed); but one with FP2's, small front mount, stock exhaust mani and down pipe.....the other with BC101's with a huge front mount, FP mani........ third with HKS cams 264/272........you my point here.

Those differences in the builds will be the ultimate determining factor; you can't lay it all on the turbo. That's all I'm trying to say.

belize1334

It should be noted that our manifolds place the collector to the passenger side of center while the viii/ix manifolds place it to the drivers side of center. So, to avoid interference with the alternator / ps pump we'd need to offset the turbo collector from the manifold flange. Another issue is the design of the twin-scroll passages. A little google-image search shows that the viii design places the drivers-side passage farther forward. The X has the opposite offset. So, there's no way around an adapter flange. It would probably have to be at least 2" of tube length and would need to map the twin outlet from the viii manifold to the twin inlet on the X turbo and would also have to offset the turbo by about 3" to the passenger side - at least.

Last edited:

Whoodoo

I agree. It isn't all about what turbo you have, but who really knows the best way to modify a car? My goal eventually is to have as much area underneath my torque curve as possible. This means I will need to have a turbo that will spool fast and flow up top. The kinds of technology that make a turbo do that don't come on any old turbo, so if I want that goal, then an evo3 16g just wont cut the mustard.

There is a guy on the dsmlink forums who has an evo 8 turbo on his 1g. He got a megan tubular mani, cut the flange off, had it rewelded 180* to get the turbo in the right direction. He then retained the evo o2 housing and used an evo 8 downpipe that was modifed.

click
click
click

Last edited by a moderator:

cheekychimp

Quoting sargeek1975:
Or just get an alternator from a Saturn.

I get; I do. I see the point being made.......but 'all' those supporting mods are now becoming a norm. I don't expect to see a 1G, 2G or Evo be 'fast' unless it has cams, injectors, plugs, exhaust, intake, wideband, fuel pump and a tune. Without those now 'basic' mods you're holding yourself back. And on anything other than an Evo (usdm) you better be getting an fmic.

But.........it's because of all those supporting mods and what they are, who manufactured them, who installed them, what they're doing.......that makes the minor differences in the turbos themselves be almost meaningless.

Sure. Take ONE single car with all those mods and tune it on each of the different turbos and I'll completely agree you'll see differences in spooling, max hp and where the power is.

But three different gvr4's with three different turbos (of those I listed); but one with FP2's, small front mount, stock exhaust mani and down pipe.....the other with BC101's with a huge front mount, FP mani........ third with HKS cams 264/272........you my point here.

Those differences in the builds will be the ultimate determining factor; you can't lay it all on the turbo. That's all I'm trying to say.

No you are right, and if you go over to EvoM.net you'll see that getting 400 hp out of an EVO IX or EVO X turbo isn't going to happen without all those supporting mods that have become the norm. You will need all of those mods on either car to make 400 hp.

To my knowledge only two people on VR4.org have made 400 hp on an EVO III 16G and they didn't have budget setups or cheap $50 second hand turbos with excessive shaft play.

The point I was trying to make was that the revshift manifold at $800 is not particularly expensive compared to the cost of a similar DSM tubular manifold manufactured from the same materials. So in all honesty, if you are shooting for 400 hp on either turbo, I wouldn't expect an EVO III setup to be considerably cheaper!

RedTwo

I imagine the nozzle area of the exhaust housing (there is a rough correlation to A/R) is a great restriction on getting that high HP output from the essentially identical compressor wheels (Other than reversing direction of the fins, the 16G6 wheels are pretty much the same).

14b 6cm^2 ~ 0.41 A/R
Evo 3 7cm^2 ~ 0.49 A/R
Evo 4 9cm^2 ~ 0.65 A/R
Evo 5 10.5cm^2 ~ 0.77 A/R
Evo 10 12cm^2 ~ 0.89 A/R

A 7cm^2 orifice is less than 10mm dia, or 0.0000000001" (ok, I just guessed at that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Here's an Evo 8 fitted with a factory 16G6 and then an Evo 9 16G6C turbo. I don't know if it's a GSR, MR or RS turbo so the nozzle area could be 9.8 or 10.5 for the 8.

Somewhere between 326 and 340 wheel HP is around 400 crank HP. So pretty decent numbers there either way.

Figure 4 on page 4 of this pdf shows a comparison of the Evo X 152G6 and Evo IX MR 155G6C compressor wheels. Interesting to note they actually decreased the vertical profile which provides the 'optimally shaped turbocharger compressor wheel'

edit: my bad, exhaust not compressor housing you nong!

Last edited:

RedTwo

Apparently Mazda has been using twin scroll since the late 80's - the RX7 series 4 was single scroll and the series 5 twin scroll.
This is purportedly a Mazda test from around 1980 comparing a single vs twin scroll housing of the same turbo (unspecified) on the same engine (unspecified)

Figure 13, when it's actually road tested is pretty astounding.

Whoodoo

Where the heck did you find that little piece of history? If that really is a test performed by Mazda, then who can argue? The theory makes sense, and apparently there are significant (and real) results. Thanks for the links /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BrandonEchols

So looking at the thread with the TS 20G on that Evo...it doesn't look like he's using the Evo X compressor housing.
Anyone know what housing that is?
Did he replace the entire CHRA, or just the compressor and turbine wheels with 20G units?
I'm thinking we might be able to use something like this to hook it up?
Just get a stock VIII or IX Manifold, and have an adaptor made that has the 8/9 flange on the mani side, and the reverse flange on the turbo side.
Thoughts?

dsmless

yes something like that would work if you had the evo 9 exhaust manifold and wanted to run a twinscroll t3 turbo which is a good way to save some money but you still would have to buy two wastegates and do plumbin =g for them as the exo 10 turbo you can have a twinscroll and use the internal wastegate to control it which is were you would savew some money on just having the dsm flange welded to the manifold and customize the evo 10 o2 housing like the dude sis on the thread

BrandonEchols

I wasn't suggesting using that *EXACT* piece, that was just a good visual example of the concept I'm envisioning.
The one I'm thinking would be Evo 8/9-to-X, not Evo-to-T3.

I imagine if you had an internally gated twin scroll T3, you could use it with that adaptor without external wastegates, and just cap the flanges for the wastegates with something.

BrandonEchols

Well, just bought an Evo X turbo and an Evo VIII exhaust manifold.
Once they get here I'll be looking further into the setup.
I was just reading and found out the stock 15G on the X has hit over 400hp.
So I might just get it set up that way and then switch to the 20G setup later.
Who knows. I just think this has potential for making really good power and keeping the lag down.
I also have the Holset though, so it depends on how things go with the controller for that thing, but I imagine the Holset is quite a bit heavier than Evo X unit.

curtis

Take care when comparing data from rotaries to piston motors.

They do things totally different. I had a crash course in this a few weeks ago with a local buddy. I've known how they work for years but had no idea to the level these guys can take them. He's building a 71 corolla with a 13b, yes he's Puerto Rican its in there culture I guess maybe just in there genetic make up but he's on the way to having one of the fastest import within 1000 miles of here, his buddy set the track record back last summer with a .8 60ft.

video one
click me video 2

As you can see there's injector holes everywhere and there all going to be huge including the primaries on the engine itself. I think when all 10 are added together along with the large meth nozzles he'll be spraying around 16K cc/minute with a mechanical pump. I still have to weld on the peripheral port covers and the runners are already cut open for them but not in the pictures below.

My buddies did his 25.2 chassis if this crazy stuff interests you
click on the orange 71 in the 2nd picture

Oh and he's a GI so this is what your tax dollars can do when properly applied. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RedTwo

Yeah I kinda forgot, rotaries do tend to spool big turbos very quickly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I don't think a Evo 8 TD05HR manifold with Evo X turbo is really going to fix things, it will push the downpipe closer to the alternator due to the turbo flange being closer to #2 cylinder.
Just need to find someone to make a run of mirrored cast TD05HR manifolds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BrandonEchols

Quoting RedTwo:
I don't think a Evo 8 TD05HR manifold with Evo X turbo is really going to fix things, it will push the downpipe closer to the alternator due to the turbo flange being closer to #2 cylinder.
Just need to find someone to make a run of mirrored cast TD05HR manifolds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I realize that, but if nothing else I've got a divided manifold to work from.
My alt is getting relocated with the Jay Racing kit anyway, hopefully that'll help me out.
But I definitely agree on getting someone (FP, ERL, etc.) to do some divided, cast manifolds for us with the Evo X flange.
That would be ideal.

tsitalon1

Quoting BrandonEchols:
Well, just bought an Evo X turbo and an Evo VIII exhaust manifold.
Once they get here I'll be looking further into the setup.
I was just reading and found out the stock 15G on the X has hit over 400hp.
So I might just get it set up that way and then switch to the 20G setup later.
Who knows. I just think this has potential for making really good power and keeping the lag down.
I also have the Holset though, so it depends on how things go with the controller for that thing, but I imagine the Holset is quite a bit heavier than Evo X unit.

I'm reviving this old thread as I have just sold my Evo X and still have the original turbo in GREAT shape. Any resonable way to use this on the GVR4? Output/spool similiar to Evo316g? Any manifolds out there to bolt it up?

Plan was to sell the Evo X turbo and buy a Evo316g? but would use the X turbo just the same if output/spool is similiar.....

I still have my Evo X turbo and O2 housing, would be great to utilize these and get the benefits of twin scroll.

Please keep i nmind I have no cost in obtaining turbo/o2 housing, so this might be more feasible than most could do....I assume I would just need a manifold solution.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

click

Cheaper than it used to be. Get a cheap EVO down pipe off eBay and you would have probably the least work to do to make this work.

tsitalon1

Cheeky, I am not sure that would be worth it. For the cost of the manifold you linked to I could buy a Evo316g.

Is there no other manifold solution?

Would an Evo9 manifold work?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts