The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo 8 cams?

stealthtt24

what if i wanted to get these evo8 cams and already had fidanza cam gears, id be set then wouldnt I?

atc250r

Staff member
Only if the Fidanza gears are drilled for both the Evo and the GVR4. If not, I don't think they provide for 90* of adjustment.

John

Yeah. Apparently the difference is the alignment dowel between the cams and the gears. On the EVO the dowel is like 90 degrees different from the DSM. Aftermarket gears work with both cams, and should have two sets of alignment marks. I guess really you wouldn't even need the EVO gears and could just reuse your original gears and make some new timing marks on them.

It will work with no modifications, The intake and exhaust cans are identical profiles just switch their position for a dsm application. Plus with the hollow cams you will be shaving at least 1 pound of rotating mass. They are 260 cams and would be great for someone looking for less topend power taper for cheap.

Quote:
Only if the Fidanza gears are drilled for both the Evo and the GVR4. If not, I don't think they provide for 90* of adjustment.

John

you will need to use the evo position for the cams to work.

Quote:
It will work with no modifications, The intake and exhaust cans are identical profiles just switch their position for a dsm application. Plus with the hollow cams you will be shaving at least 1 pound of rotating mass. They are 260 cams and would be great for someone looking for less topend power taper for cheap.

yea you can do that, but each cam was made for a specific reason. i dont recommend doing this, i would maching the intake on the evo if i would use these cams. i know ppl have done it before. but i would rather be safe than sorry.

speedyvr4

so let me get this straight. The easiest, most bolt on way to use these cams would be to use aftermarket cam gears + evo cams. and the evo( exhaust) cam has the same notch for CAS as our 4g63's right ? AND, in order to use the evo cam gear, a hole has to be drilled where our dowels would go on our cam gears ?

Quote:
The easiest, most bolt on way to use these cams would be to use aftermarket cam gears + evo cams. and the evo( exhaust) cam has the same notch for CAS as our 4g63's right ? AND, in order to use the evo cam gear, a hole has to be drilled where our dowels would go on our cam gears ?

As I understand it, yes and no. The only difference the cam gears should make is where the timing marks will be. You can either use aftermarket gears or the stock EVO gears and have the correct timing marks. I'm guessing you could even use the old DSM/Galant gears if you wanted to make new timing marks on them in the correct place. There is no need to drill any holes anywhere. And yes, the EVO exhaust cam has the notch for the CAS so you would use it as the intake cam on our cars. Again this is what I've been told and has been confirmed by a few other people, but I haven't yet recieved my cams so I can't say 100% from experience.

What don't you understand about the cams being identical? THEY ARE THE SAME. BOTH INTAKE AND EXHAUST ARE THE SAME . WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE STILL FIGTING THIS. The bottom line is that it works and I have done it many times over, please let this issue rest. If you have doubts don't try it and if you want a cheap performance upgrade do it. This discussion is really pissing me right the hell off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

speedyvr4

Quote:
What don't you understand about the cams being identical? THEY ARE THE SAME. BOTH INTAKE AND EXHAUST ARE THE SAME . WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE STILL FIGTING THIS. The bottom line is that it works and I have done it many times over, please let this issue rest. If you have doubts don't try it and if you want a cheap performance upgrade do it. This discussion is really pissing me right the hell off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

So I will not need to modify the camgears, just use the evo ones and I'm good to go?

PS, I'm not only trying to anoy you, I'm also trying to get it right.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

As I understand it, yes and no. The only difference the cam gears should make is where the timing marks will be. You can either use aftermarket gears or the stock EVO gears and have the correct timing marks. I'm guessing you could even use the old DSM/Galant gears if you wanted to make new timing marks on them in the correct place. There is no need to drill any holes anywhere. And yes, the EVO exhaust cam has the notch for the CAS so you would use it as the intake cam on our cars. Again this is what I've been told and has been confirmed by a few other people, but I haven't yet received my cams so I can't say 100% from experience.

This is exactly 100% correct there is no custom work involved, It is very simple but I will go over it one more time. Take the evo 8 cams and gears put the evo exhaust cam where the dsm intake cam is and take the evo intake and put it in the dsm exhaust spot, Bolt everything back up slide your cas back in, Line up your timing marks as you usually would. You can either use a set of fidenza cam gears that is doweled for both dsm and evo (use the evo dowel) or stock evo cam gears are fine as well. This is very simple, If you can change your own t-belt you can do this. I have a friend making 411 awhp on these cams that I personally installed in his dsm. Also contact me if you need cams and gears.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quote:
As I understand it, yes and no. The only difference the cam gears should make is where the timing marks will be. You can either use aftermarket gears or the stock EVO gears and have the correct timing marks. I'm guessing you could even use the old DSM/Galant gears if you wanted to make new timing marks on them in the correct place. There is no need to drill any holes anywhere. And yes, the EVO exhaust cam has the notch for the CAS so you would use it as the intake cam on our cars. Again this is what I've been told and has been confirmed by a few other people, but I haven't yet received my cams so I can't say 100% from experience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is exactly 100% correct there is no custom work involved, It is very simple but I will go over it one more time. Take the evo 8 cams and gears put the evo exhaust cam where the dsm intake cam is and take the evo intake and put it in the dsm exhaust spot, Bolt everything back up slide your cas back in, Line up your timing marks as you usually would. You can either use a set of fidenza cam gears that is doweled for both dsm and evo (use the evo dowel) or stock evo cam gears are fine as well. This is very simple, If you can change your own t-belt you can do this. I have a friend making 411 awhp on these cams that I personally installed in his dsm. Also contact me if you need cams and gears.

if you havent even done this yet, how are you going to tell ppl what needs to be done. what you should do is, get your cams install them in you vr4 then make a write up in the forum with pics how everything should be done and the end result you had. because those cams arent really going to make that much more power. honstly when you can buy a set of *used* evo cams for 150 (im guessing) why not buy cams made for your car that are *brand new* for 300 and their a 272/272 combo!!(shipped!) idk it doesnt make any since to me. and you will make more power than you ever would with the evo cams.

Polish

Because not everyone wants huge cams. I personally would pay 100 at the most for a set of used Evo cams. I am sure I could find a set at that price too or cheaper.

Not everyone needs a FP 3065 and not everyone needs BIG cams. The stock Evo 260 cams are an improvement over stock and will benefit a normal 300-350hp 16g powered street car plenty.

DR1665

Ol Stink Horn speaks the truth. I've got a set of $400 Crowers on my Talon. They shake and lope and I love them, but if I could pick up a couple horses and flatten the powerband on my Galant with a $50 set of used cams from a Volkswagen, I'd scoop 'em up.

PMs have been sent to all my friends with Evos on other boards just in case. >:)

Last edited:

Quote:
Quote:
(DSM Drew) As I understand it, yes and no. The only difference the cam gears should make is where the timing marks will be. You can either use aftermarket gears or the stock EVO gears and have the correct timing marks. I'm guessing you could even use the old DSM/Galant gears if you wanted to make new timing marks on them in the correct place. There is no need to drill any holes anywhere. And yes, the EVO exhaust cam has the notch for the CAS so you would use it as the intake cam on our cars. Again this is what I've been told and has been confirmed by a few other people, but I haven't yet received my cams so I can't say 100% from experience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you havent even done this yet, how are you going to tell ppl what needs to be done. what you should do is, get your cams install them in you vr4 then make a write up in the forum with pics how everything should be done and the end result you had. because those cams arent really going to make that much more power. honstly when you can buy a set of *used* evo cams for 150 (im guessing) why not buy cams made for your car that are *brand new* for 300 and their a 272/272 combo!!(shipped!) idk it doesnt make any since to me. and you will make more power than you ever would with the evo cams.

If you look deeper he was responding to what Drew had written.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually I think I've changed my mind. I'm going to spend the extra money for big cams. And then dump a huge chunk of change on the biggest turbo I can find. And a sheetmetal intake, 1600cc injectors, VPC, ACT 3200 clutch, and anything else I can find that makes a shitload of top end power. Then I'm going to complain about the lumpy idle, turbo lag, and lack of drivability in my street driven, canyon carving car. But bigger is always better, right? Sorry if I'm being too realistic about my goals, budget, and actual purpose of my car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

atc250r

Staff member
I think that those cams would be really good choice but I wouldn't fool around with putting the intake cam on the exhaust side or any of that nonsense. It'd be fairly cheap to have a machine shop cut a slice in the end of the intake cam so you can put them where they belong. You could probably to it yourself if you had access to a cut off wheel and were careful to cut in the center.

John

speedyvr4

If their identical duration and lift, why would you go thru the trouble of doing that? I agree with you guys, if I can pick up a set of evo cams for cheap from a buddy for a 16g powered DD, then why not do it. Can't wait for the write up.

atc250r

Staff member
Quote:
If their identical duration and lift, why would you go thru the trouble of doing that?

Identical duration and lift does not mean identical cams. Valve timing and possibly lob profiles are also factors in determining which cam goes where. I'm not say it will be a problem or even that you'd get more performance by doing what I said, but all cams with the same lift and duration are not necessarily the same.

John

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned