The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ESC Pods, Who has them?

dsm10o0

Just got mine and looking for advice on how you installed them. Post pics if you like. lol

Gonna be putting a boost gauge and plx m300 wideband in there.

Lets see yours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

spooling92vr4

there is a plate that mounts on the bottom, you would have to hack up your dash.. I would suggest velcro, I refuse to cut my dash up though.

curtis

To tired to take pictures but you can remove the dash plaque then drill one small home offset of dead center then open it up larger and install a nutplate. Like that holds the inter fender shield in. Then beside it you can drill a hole for the wires. Now the reason for the nutplate use a adel clamp there and if you notice the side of the pod has two tabs that have holes or are tapped (can't remember which) you can use a die on a short piece of heavy steel wire. (cloths hanger) and attach the wire that has been bent twice to the tabs on the pod then with the adel clamp tighten it down. This will pull the pod down and keep it secure with no glue/3m tape or buggers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheekychimp

Quoting dsm10o0:
Just got mine and looking for advice on how you installed them. Post pics if you like. lol

Gonna be putting a boost gauge and plx m300 wideband in there.

Lets see yours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you do this properly, use the correct type of gauge and make a plate to recess the gauge properly, it can come out fairly slick. You have to be committed to using it though because as stated it is a non reversible process. if you want to make it fit this well you are going to need to cut up the dash. There are a number of reasons why this is necessary.

First of all look at the third picture. If you recess the gauges properly, because of the angle that they sit at the area under the gauges (that little dash pocket in your USDM dash) is not deep enough. You have to cut out the bottom of that area or two pieces of it to recess the gauges into it so that the pod sits flush.

Secondly, if you cut away the vinyl at the edges of that recess you will uncover small holes that the bottom frame of the ECS pod can clip into. In the pictures above I did not use the frame because the pod I bought didn't have it (only the top cover). I will do another pod for my daily VR4 and I will endeavour to use the bottom frame to clip that one in. Either way works but both require cutting of the dash. The method I used for attaching my pod above was easy BUT my dash was out at the time. It would be difficult to use that method with the dash in the car. if you don't want to remove your dash, the clip in frame is the way to go.

Thirdly you will need to cut holes to route the wiring to the sensors.

I had no issues doing this because both my JDM cars had flip up pockets at that location in the dash and both were FUBAR. Removing the broken lids left a pocket/recess similar to yours but with exposed foam and holes etc (generally unattractive). The pod in comparison looked much better so hacking up that area under the pod was not an issue for me. You might be less willing to start doing the same to a virgin dash. That said if you do it properly once the pod is installed you won't see any of that and it will look factory. You just won't be able to remove it.

If you want it to be reversible you would have to attach the pod with velcro. In this case it won't sit flush, you would need to run the wires over the dash and it would in my opinion look crap.

Bottom line, think hard about if you want to do this and if you do, cut the dash, do it properly and don't look back.

Paul.

boostx

I was going to get these made a little bigger to hold 3 gauges from fiberglass. I am still playing with the idea.

dsm10o0

nicely done man. I got the esc pod to cover the crack on my dash. Its time to hack it up some more to make it look good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kama1

heres what im probably going to use.made of fiberglass
molded from a modified ecs sus pod,holds 2 60mm guages(tight fit)
hadnt actually put holes,but my mold held 2 60mm hks guages with no issues
might wrap it with oem dash vinyl if i can find any and make brackets so i dont need to hack up the dash too much

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned