The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Electric exhaust cutout ... or convert to full 3"

ApexHunter

Quoting JDM_DSM:
Was the wastegate just what you had lying around, or was there another reason you used that over a cut-out?

Bought it specifically for this application.

What EHmotorsports said was spot on, but vs. a conventional cut out i also really like how it's activated by your right foot. The operation is seamless and consistent, and the 14psi spring gives you enough headroom for plenty of gate-closed acceleration. If you want more control, get a low rated spring and hook up a boost controller, as was mentioned above.

raptorWagon

Quoting FlyingEagle:
I remember that pic!

Well played ....

Greatest Ebay ad ever! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

4thStroke

Quoting JDM_DSM:
Was the wastegate just what you had lying around, or was there another reason you used that over a cut-out?

They will cost less money as well, as you don't need to buy a high dollar gate since it sees a lot less heat than its built for and really. A small leak will not cause any sort of issue. Its nice that you can retain a quiet exhaust system and not have to worry about waiting for your cutout to open up in the event you get bullied on the freeway. It'll open instantly for whatever pressure its set to and closes immediately. It's a win/win over a cutout in my book any day.

Leon_R

I have now used this cutout for over 2 years and around 10-12k miles, with great results:

7033C62A-C1FE-49EC-9C67-CDBA023270DD-21382-0000145AA017CFD4_zpse5c106e1.jpg

They used to be sold exclusively by Raceland USA, but now you can get them from other sources, for about the same price as before:

These guys ($159)

click

Or, if you do not want the fancy remote control, these guys ($95)

click

This cutout does have a slight leak, which is noticeable because of extra quite (and restrictive) Summit exhaust. I expect it to be less noticeable on an EVO or DSM, which come with less restrictive exhausts from the factory. But, most importantly, the leak wasn’t loud enough to fail inspection from a “normal station”! So I can live with it!!!

bradrs

I was recently shown some of these cutouts:

click

I will try to get more info on them, but supposedly they eliminate the leak found in many of the butterfly valve units.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned