The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Project Super Sleeper just got an exhaust cut out! (VIDEO)

blackvr4

Hey Guys been working on this car since November, just trying to build the ultimate sleeper galant lol.

Really wanted to have a quiet stock appearing exhaust but not sacrifice power. So I installed an Electric cut out. The Downpipe is an ebay 3" going to a 3" electric cut out reducing down to a 2.5 inch Magnaflow catback. I wish it was quieter with the dump closed but it seems to serve its purpose lol.

click

GSX_TC

Haha nice

alansupra94

I was thinking about this until my friends that saw my car said it was really quiet at idle. Apparently my 3" Bushur exhaust with twin magnaflow mufflers really quiet everything down.

matt92vr4

Is the cutout controlled by your keychain?

sy1100

AWWW!! You beat me to it. I have this planned for my car, but I plan to keep it with a stock exhaust and cut out. Are you getting any back pressure from the reduction??

Last edited:

blackvr4

Quoting matt92vr4:

Lol I thought the beginning of the video was pretty clear! Yes it comes with a remote/receiver. I got the whole thing on Ebay that I can post a link to. I just cant comment on the longevity of it because its literally been on the car for 1 day, I think I paid like 150 for it. My only complaint thus far is, opening and closing it makes no sense. The "lock" button on the keyfob opens the exhaust and the "unlock" button on the keyfob closes it, kind of should be the reverse way IMO. But its not even worth mentioning if this thing lasts me 4-5years without problems I can get over the reversed button function lol

Quoting sy1100:
AWWW!! You beat me to it. I have this planned for my car, but I plan to keep it with a stock exhaust and cut out. Are you getting any back pressure from the reduction??

I honestly don't know how to check for back pressure, it seems that the exhaust comes out of the muffler with a lot of force. But I think if there is a lot of back pressure it would be good because the exhaust would take the path of least resistance once the dump is opened. I still want to make a turndown for the dump so Im not cooking the undercarriage of the car.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

That FMIC looks familiar. Looks like the same thing i got from Turbotrix, with a spearco 2-120 core.

citymunky

^ Yea I have the same core.

blackvr4

I bought it used on forums a few years ago, the condition looked like its never been used, I am not sure of what brand it was tho, I know it was for a DSM.

quato

Quoting blackvr4:
Quoting matt92vr4:

My only complaint thus far is, opening and closing it makes no sense. The "lock" button on the keyfob opens the exhaust and the "unlock" button on the keyfob closes it, kind of should be the reverse way IMO. But its not even worth mentioning if this thing lasts me 4-5years without problems I can get over the reversed button function lol

You could probably take the remote apart and just switch over the little rubber buttons so that they actually make sense. Shouldn't be too hard to do if they are basically the same shape. I couldn't tell from the video.

mitsuturbo

Quoting blackvr4:
I bought it used on forums a few years ago, the condition looked like its never been used, I am not sure of what brand it was tho, I know it was for a DSM.

Yeah, judging by the piping and couplers, that looks like the same kit. Spearco 2-120. I had to get the tab rewelded on top to center the fmic on my car right, and i cut one of the pipes and had it welded at a different angle to suit my needs. Seems like a great unit and is well constructed.

I see you went the smart route and just got an afco scirocco radiator too. Where are you going to put the thermoswitch for your fan on that?

blackvr4

By thermoswitch do you mean the sensor thats on the bottom of the rad? Or that box/resistor looking thing that mounts on the fan?

Because what ever i did i messed up on because now the fan comes on full blast as soon as you put the key in the on position.

That box/resistor thing i removed and connected both of the wires running to it to each other.

The sensor that is on the bottom of the rad i relocated to the top of the thermostat housing and extended the wires, since i dont have AC it really wasnt a big deal to get rid of the sensor.

Last edited:

ronnycordova

I had one of these on my skittle but it never would seal right or stop when it fully closed. I ended up just driving it around with the block off plate unbolted sounding like a diesel truck. I'm half tempted to try another one on my Galant but considering I'm going with an all aluminum exhaust I don't think it is going to make much of a difference sound wise. Mechanically does the cut-out you got work decent?

blackvr4

Got the front bumper on today! Barely had to cut anything! Love how sleeper it looks

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned