The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ECMlink boost control with stock BCS? (RESOLVED)

prove_it

I could upload my file, but I'm too lazy. Sorry. It wouldn;t help you anyway. Every set-up will be vastly different. Unlike the DA tables, there really is no standard table. I have different exhaust, turbine housing, manifold, compression, intake, IC size/piping, different head flow all at a different altitude. All these things make the table numbers change. It's truly custom to the car. Think of the boost control like this: The base table is your actual target boost levels. Adjust the numbers to get what you want in each gear at the rpm you want. The target table is what the ECM will shoot for with error correction. All the ecm really does is tweak the duty cycle to compensate for atmospheric conditions and road grade. It's the very fine adjusting, if it has to make gross adjustments then you'll get the surging/spiking boost levels. Believe me, those suck. As long as you dont overboost past your tune and engines ability, you cant mess up.

Your goal is to set the base table to the boost curve you want.

GSTwithPSI

I'm not worried about being able to dial it in. I'm confident with a little trial and error I'll get it corrected. It would just be nice to take a look at another table, and compare results. Thanks for the guidance, I'll update this when I have some feedback about how the system works out.

prove_it

I'm not even sure how to upload the file....

prove_it

You must be using the 1g solenoid for a 1g, I believe. Also I'm running the most current firmware, I check and update every month. You will need to be current also. If your not getting control, make sure your vent line and bleed line are not backwards. It does matter. Follow the Ecmlink diagram.

GSTwithPSI

I'm having a few issues. Long story short, I've verified everything is working and correct, ECMlink just isn't doing anything with the solenoid. I realized my firmware version is out of date (I'm currently running 3.26.73), which I'm almost positive is the problem. I pulled a firmware request from the ECU, but am getting an error when I try to upload it to ECMlink's firmware update page. I sent the guys at ECMlink and email asking about the error, so hopefully I hear back from them tomorrow. I just wanted to see what firmware version you were running so I could compare, and also verify you got the 1G solenoid to work for you. Can you verify what firmware version you are using? ECMlink's how-to only outlines the use of the 2G solenoid, which is the reason I questioned the use of the 1G BCS. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:

prove_it

Are you sure your solenoid is functioning? You can check using the BCS check box and see if it clicks.

GSTwithPSI

I didn't get a chance to screw with the car today. It was late when I got home from work, and it's fuckin freezing outside. I did get a reply back from ECMlink though, who said I already am running the latest firmware update, so it's clear that isn't the problem.

Yesterday, I did double check the solenoid was working. When I activate the BCS manually via ECMlink, I hear it click audibly. I also made sure it passed air when on, and blocked flow when off. It seems to be working fine.

Next, I double checked everything was hooked up correctly, and is just like the diagram I posted. Everything seems fine there as well.

In the ECMlink application on the Boost (WGS) tab, I checked the Enable boost control checkbox, then checked the Disable error correction checkbox. I filled every cell in the base duty cycle table starting with 50, and worked all the way up to 100. There was absolutely no change in my boost level, which stayed around 10-13 PSI.

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe my restrictor isn't working like it is supposed to. Or maybe, my solenoid isn't working like it should, even though it clicks on and off fine manually. Mainly, I think I just need some more time to play with it, and figure out WTF is going on. I was doing some more reading, and will be sure to log WGSDuty next time I test the system. At least then I can see if ECMlink is even trying to do anything with the BCS. It's times like these that looking at another log would really help out. To answer your question about posting a log file, to my knowledge, you can't upload the log file here on the org. You would have to upload it somewhere else, and link to it. Or email it.

prove_it

What's you email? This sounds like you got one simple thing out of place. I'm suspecting a simple checkbox.

Send me your tune files so I can look at those also, let's trade.

Email me at [email protected]

transparentdsm

so crazy how 1 little check box changes everything. i had this issue when i first installed the IR and i was reading everything i could on-line and trying to cross it over to my system and i forgot to uncheck the correction box or something silly like that and i did it and everything started to work the way it should.

prove_it

Yep, one box will effect everything, such as the enable boost control box...

Make sure you check that box.

GSTwithPSI

I can't figure out WTF I'm doing wrong. I have included 2 logs of 1-2 gear pulls. The first is with all the Base Duty Cycle cells at 70. The second is with all the Base Duty Cycle cells at 90. No change in boost at either value. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? Am I missing a checkbox or something? From everything I can tell from the log, ECMlink just doesn't look like it is doing anything with the solenoid. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BCS 1-2 gear pull with cells @ 70

BCS 1-2 gear pull with cells @ 90

GSTwithPSI

Someone on Tooners suggested I need a MAP sensor for this to work. Is there any truth to that? I'm betting most of you guys running this are probably on SD correct?

transparentdsm

im not sure as im running speed density, but im pretty sure you need a MAP sensor for the ECU to know how much boost your creating.

strokin4dr

I don't think you NEED a map sensor for it to work, but it's very useful when reviewing logs to be able to see exactly what was going on at any given time. Without logging a linear wideband and map, you are just going off what the ecu thinks is going on.

transparentdsm

Without logging a linear wideband and map, you are just going off what the ecu thinks is going on.

right and that is why it isn't working. when your in link on the boost control tab at the bottom it asks what your assigned MAP pin is. there is no base pressure for the ecu to start at so it wont create any boost at all. one other thing i noticed was you had your boost set to 3.1 psi, well the stock turbo doesn't go the low. you need to start at 10psi if your looking for a 3psi increase from stock.

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

I'm not convinced I need a MAP sensor. I was under the impression that the whole point of using the Base Duty Cycle table alone, and disabling error correction, was because the ECU doesn't use feedback in this configuration. Not to mention, ECMlink's how-to never mentions a MAP sensor is required, which is strange.

I'm confused as to where you are talking about I have boost set to 3.1 PSI? I never set boost anywhere in the config, as it's not an option I'm even aware of.

I need a log from someone with this setup, who isn't running SD...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned