The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Dumb Question

...please don't treat me like I am at tuners! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It is now my understanding that I need a pre-throttle body source for my MBC and External Wastegate and that teeing into my BOV can cause problems.

Is the J-Pipe a source of a "pre-throttle" body boost?

I have been looking at turbo piping for months and without doing any reading (I hate reading) I have concluded that turbo/boost output goes into the J-Pipe and then into the intercooler, from the intercooler it bascially just goes into the throttle body.

Do I have it more or less? Is the J-Pipe a source of pre-throttle body boost?

Thanks!

turbowop

Yes, the J-pipe will work. I have nipples on my upper intercooler pipe (after the intercooler, before the throttle body) for my MBC and wastegate.

Since the BOV gets its source from the intake manifold, teeing into it would essentially be using the same source. With a bleeder type MBC, this can create a small vacuum leak. MBC's don't need to see vacuum anyway, so sourcing boost before the throttle body is a better idea for them, IMO.

Last edited:

Well I messed up (I think). I drilled a hole for a 1/4 NPT to 1/4 barb fitting in the j-pipe about 8 inches from the turbo. I drilled it a little bit too big. I should have been more patient. So now it is sitting in JB-Weld.

I think that JB Weld can handle the pressure, but I am not so sure about the heat coming off of the turbo like that.

Any ideas? I don't like taking my car to get things welded. I always get ripped off for some reason!

Thanks

Was thinking about that...I hate pulling that crappy J-Pipe off though...difficult to get at that bottom bolt.

I guess I'll just wait to see if it flies off lol! I'll carry some muffler mender with me in case.

Thanks

SouthCaliVR4

probably not the best thing to drill in place, where did all the filings end up? turbo & intake tract, just waiting to damage some stuff.

I didn't drill it in place. I drilled it off the car. I just don't want to have to take it off to drill it again. I figure I will just take the risk of losing the fitting. I am betting that JB weld won't be able to handle the heat. I am sure it can handle the boost.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned