The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

difference between big 16g?

Yao

I THINK the evo16g has ported turbine housing and bigger waste gate hole to boot.

fuel

01420 (Galant VR-4 Evolution) 16G is the same as the Lancer Evo1/2 16G. Lancer Evo3 16G has a different compressor wheel (still the same 16G dimensions just different design of blades) and a better turbine housing.

vtecds1

Check on RoadRace site...iirc, they have some pics up comparing the turbos.

ktmrider

Quoting fuel:
01420 (Galant VR-4 Evolution) 16G is the same as the Lancer Evo1/2 16G. Lancer Evo3 16G has a different compressor wheel (still the same 16G dimensions just different design of blades) and a better turbine housing.

This plus material type.

Rotating assembly is about 2-lbs lighter on the REAL, not knock-off, E3 turbos. Faster spool basically due to lower rotational mass. IIRC the exhaust wheel is Inconnel and the center shaft is titanium or the like.

fuel

a whole 2 pounds less weight on the rotating assembly? The rotating assembly itself doesn't even weigh ONE pound. Maybe you mean 2 GRAMS?

According to CAPS the turbine wheel/shaft are the same between Galant VR-4 Evolution 16G right through to Lancer Evolution III 16G.

TomN

I'm pretty sure the differences are the compressor wheel, turbine housing and watstegate actuator.
I'm possative the rotating assembly is not 2lbs lighter. That's not at all possible.

ktmrider

Quoting fuel:
a whole 2 pounds less weight on the rotating assembly? The rotating assembly itself doesn't even weigh ONE pound. Maybe you mean 2 GRAMS?

According to CAPS the turbine wheel/shaft are the same between Galant VR-4 Evolution 16G right through to Lancer Evolution III 16G.

Doh you are correct on the weight, I regurgitated the wrong value: click

I'm almost positive the hot side wheel was made of Inconnel, combined with other mods the rotating assembly is lighter.

fuel

am pretty sure all TD05H turbos are inconel, same as the older TC05/TC06 turbos etc.

ktmrider

Quoting fuel:
am pretty sure all TD05H turbos are inconel, same as the older TC05/TC06 turbos etc.

Ok, more of my regurgitation mistakes.

The material comparison came between MHI and fake/FleaBay copies of the E3 and other variants. Chinabay stuff does not have the "exotic" metals nor quality castings of the MHI products.

JoeDaddy0

I am running big 16G and I would say they didn't name a 17g but that is what it is. I am running 22 lb of boost ith 660 and chip. Wider vains hence more induction at same rpm but not as big as 18g ...almost though

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned