The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Car Overheated

GSTwithPSI

Quoting turbowop:
For the record, I tuned the car myself up until I switched to ECMlink, at which point I felt like some help with the tune would make things easier. I tuned all the old setups including the methanol myself. SAFC's, Maftpro, etc. I even had to tweak the link tune myself after being on the dyno at English. I built this car and installed every setup on it myself, so don't play it down like I put on an intake and that's all the knowledge I have. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I never said you don't have any knowledge. In fact, I just said you have lots of good info, and have even helped me out on numerous occasions, and I'm not downplaying anything. I think you are a very knowledgeable guy, and a dick about it. I don't care about your resume, and giving me your experiences for "the record" seem futile. What I did say was your experience seems to be limited in the ares of building motors and such, which is where I'm having some of my issues. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have never pulled the motor out of your car, installed a crankshaft, or anything of the sort. Because of that, I don't really see how your snarky little comments about "my experience" hold any weight in your argument. If you have little to no experience in these areas, how can you pass judgment? You have yet to contribute anything technical here, so I'm not sure why you are still posting? Yes, Wop, you are awesome, and your car is equally as awesome. Contribute something technical or bust my balls via PM.

thecman02

I think the only thing I would add is that you should double check your head studs especially the one closest to the gasket failure and make sure it still specs out good. There's values for how much stretch for a given torque. Maybe the stud stretched a little more then it should. As soon as that happens composite give up the ghost pretty easy.

turbowop

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Quoting turbowop:
For the record, I tuned the car myself up until I switched to ECMlink, at which point I felt like some help with the tune would make things easier. I tuned all the old setups including the methanol myself. SAFC's, Maftpro, etc. I even had to tweak the link tune myself after being on the dyno at English. I built this car and installed every setup on it myself, so don't play it down like I put on an intake and that's all the knowledge I have. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I never said you don't have any knowledge. In fact, I just said you have lots of good info, and have even helped me out on numerous occasions, and I'm not downplaying anything. I think you are a very knowledgeable guy, and a dick about it. I don't care about your resume, and giving me your experiences for "the record" seem futile. What I did say was your experience seems to be limited in the ares of building motors and such, which is where I'm having some of my issues. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have never pulled the motor out of your car, installed a crankshaft, or anything of the sort. Because of that, I don't really see how your snarky little comments about "my experience" hold any weight in your argument. If you have little to no experience in these areas, how can you pass judgment? You have yet to contribute anything technical here, so I'm not sure why you are still posting? Yes, Wop, you are awesome, and your car is equally as awesome. Contribute something technical or bust my balls via PM.

I f***ing asked you if the car overheated due to losing coolant or if it lost coolant due to overheating for some other reason, which you still haven't answered. I haven't pulled the motor, but I have done everything else. For one, the headgasket and studs, which is pretty goddamn relevant to this thread, no? I never even brought up anything to do with my car until you made your own little snarky comment about how I've never pulled the motor.

You're just pissed about your car and act like a prick when somebody asks a question you feel is beneath you. How the f*** are we supposed to know? We're just gathering facts in an attempt to help your sorry ass. Jesus H. Good luck with your car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Last edited:

JNR

another day on the .org /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James

And when we come back from this commercial break we will have the results. Wop... ARE YOU THE FATHER?!?

JERRY!JERRY!JERRY!JERRY!

jnava

Staff member
James!!! That's not Jerry, it Maury! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

James

Where Steve wilkos when you need him.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting turbowop:

I f***ing asked you if the car overheated due to losing coolant or if it lost coolant due to overheating for some other reason, which you still haven't answered. I haven't pulled the motor, but I have done everything else. For one, the headgasket and studs, which is pretty goddamn relevant to this thread, no? I never even brought up anything to do with my car until you made your own little snarky comment about how I've never pulled the motor.

You're just pissed about your car and act like a prick when somebody asks a question you feel is beneath you. How the f*** are we supposed to know? We're just gathering facts in an attempt to help your sorry ass. Jesus H. Good luck with your car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

I did answer your question in depth. Why don't you click back a page and see how I answered your question specifically? If you weren't so worried about who I was being a prick to, maybe you could comprehend it.
Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Quoting turbowop:
Don't pay attention to the gauge on the dash, as it's horribly inaccurate. I'd be worried about ECMlink saying that the ECU temp sender was seeing 260+. Did it overheat due to the leak, or did it spring a leak due to overheating?

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Actually, worse than either. I tightened the suspected leaky hose, and refilled the system.......

You keep saying I'm pissed, but judging your posts it's you who are pissed. It's clear that, you mad bro, and that's cool. I know the mighty Wop isn't used to retaliation, since it seems like you and your car is some sort of GVR4 pinnacle here. I could care less, and your opinion of my abilities are even more worthless to me. I guess I could give you my resume and all the stuff I've done for "the record", but I really don't care what you or anyone else thinks. You are a prick on a consistent basis, and anyone who reads half of your posts could probably agree. Call it you being opinionated or whatever you want, but you aren't fooling anyone.

Last edited:

prove_it

This thread is good.

Anyway my two cents, get new head studs, new gasket. If you measured for warpage and are in spec there is no point in machining the head. All your doing is removing valuable material for future needs. I looks like the head lifted for a sec and pushed back the gasket from pressure. It's possible the stud stretched enough to do this.

BTW, I love this forum. Always something entertaining going on.

turbowop

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Quoting turbowop:

I did answer your question in depth. Why don't you click back a page and see how I answered your question specifically? If you weren't so worried about who I was being a prick to, maybe you could comprehend it.
Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Quoting turbowop:
Don't pay attention to the gauge on the dash, as it's horribly inaccurate. I'd be worried about ECMlink saying that the ECU temp sender was seeing 260+. Did it overheat due to the leak, or did it spring a leak due to overheating?

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Actually, worse than either. I tightened the suspected leaky hose, and refilled the system.......

You keep saying I'm pissed, but judging your posts it's you who are pissed. It's clear that, you mad bro, and that's cool. I know the mighty Wop isn't used to retaliation, since it seems like you and your car is some sort of GVR4 pinnacle here. I could care less, and your opinion of my abilities are even more worthless to me. I guess I could give you my resume and all the stuff I've done for "the record", but I really don't care what you or anyone else thinks. You are a prick on a consistent basis, and anyone who reads half of your posts could probably agree. Call it you being opinionated or whatever you want, but you aren't fooling anyone.

Oh, my bad. I guess after asking a relevant question I got sidetracked by your shitty attitude towards another member trying to help out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif *edit* I still don't think you fully know if a faulty gasket caused the overheating, or the overheating caused the faulty gasket, which was my actual question.

I don't really care about your resume, abilities, or record either. But you gotta admit that for all the troubles you've been having with your car lately, the only common denominator...is you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsdunno.gif

I'm actually a really nice guy. And I don't act like a prick unless somebody acts that way to me or another member first. And what the f*** is this sh*t about me or my car being a GVR4 pinnacle? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowrofl.gif I'm just a guy on the forum that's been here a long time. Some people like my car, some don't. I wouldn't be acting any different if my car was some hoopty piece of sh*t.

Last edited:

5OF2k

Can we move on now, or what?

Whats your plans now, PSI?

-Jake

GSTwithPSI

Quoting turbowop:
Oh, my bad. I guess after asking a relevant question I got sidetracked by your shitty attitude towards another member trying to help out.

Yeah, your bad. You seem to deviate from the subject to be a douche a lot though, so no biggie. Why don't you quit trying to be the forum police, and stick to contributions of technical nature. Although, I definitely say you are better a being a douche than giving technical advice.

Quoting turbowop:
I don't really care about your resume, abilities, or record either. But you gotta admit that for all the troubles you've been having with your car lately, the only common denominator...is you.

Yeah, yeah, we all get it. You think I'm the issue here due to my incompetence or whatever. Or, maybe the issue is I started with a sh*t box that didn't have a single unbroken bolt in the entire mess (not literally speaking in case you missed that)? I'm not worse off than a lot of the guys on here repairing rust and doing complete resto-mods, but I didn't exactly start with a mint car either.

You, on the other hand, started with a nice low mileage car that was pretty much in great shape. You didn't do any restoration, fix hack job repairs, or have to overcome half of the obstacles some of the other members here have. Like I said, You essentially took a stock shell, bolted on some parts, and had English tune it. Mitsubishi put your bottom end together, and made sure your head was true. English made sure your car won't blow up while you beat on it, and you made it all happen with time, work, and money. Everyone could have a 1051 if they had a decade to throw parts at a mint GVR4. No big accomplishment in my book.

As far as you saying my car's issue is me, I don't see where you are anywhere close to qualified to make that call. If you were doing work on your car at the level your ego seems to think you do, you would probably run into a few issues yourself. Since everything difficult (engine assembly) and technical (tuning) on your car was done by someone else, there's not a lot that can go wrong and be your fault is there? I don't see a build thread, or anything you've done that shows you have the knowledge to say what I'm doing is the problem. I'm not in any way saying what's happened to me isn't my fault. It could very well be. What I am saying is a douche like you who hasn't done sh*t but throw on a JDM bumper, bolt on a turbo, change a head gasket, then have some shop tune your car can't really say sh*t about someone building a bottom end can you, because you have never done it. When you do, then come tell me I'm all screwed up.

Quoting 5OF2k:
Can we move on now, or what?

Whats your plans now, PSI?

-Jake

I got most of the car back together today. I wanted to use a MLS head gasket like many of you guys suggested, but I couldn't source one locally, and I need to car back together since I'll be moving out of state soon. I went with another Fel-Pro permatorque composite gasket for the time being. I really think the problem I had was fluke, but we'll see. I made sure the mating surfaces on both the head and block were really clean, and also double checked them to make sure they were flat. I made sure my torque procedure was correct, and once again torqued the bolts in three steps 30-60-90 ft-lbs.
WP_000820.jpg

WP_000821.jpg

WP_000822.jpg

I also took care of a leaky oil pump seal, and replaced the balance shaft tensioner pulley while I had the car apart. All I really have left to do is install the intake piping, and drop the radiator back in. It is supposed to rain here tomorrow and Wednesday, so I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to button the car up. ASAP weather permitting.
WP_000818.jpg

WP_000819%2520%25282%2529.jpg

Last edited:

turbowop

Why do you keep implying that only English tuned my car? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif They tuned it last summer, then I trapped 122mph. I tuned it the previous decade, and trapped 121mph. And beat on it, and maintained it...for 14 years. I never built an engine because it's not necessary for my goals. Next thing you'll be saying is that somebody else installed all the parts on my car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

I also built, tuned, and daily drove 503 for five years. It certainly didn't start out as a cream puff. Hell, neither did 1051. But you know absolutely nothing about that since you've been on this forum a whopping year or so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goyou.gif

You started this shitfest by acting like a prick towards those trying to help you. I called you out on it. That's it.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting turbowop:
Why do you keep implying that only English tuned my car? They tuned it last summer, then I trapped 122mph. I tuned it the previous decade, and trapped 121mph. And beat on it, and maintained it...for 14 years. I never built an engine because it's not necessary for my goals. Next thing you'll be saying is that somebody else installed all the parts on my car.

Because English did tune your car, and before that you had a EPROM chip, which took care of most of the tuning for you, so don't sit here and act like you invented the wheel. I know how challenging it can be to dial in a MAF pro, or SAFC though. Gotta give you props there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif.

Quoting turbowop:
I also built, tuned, and daily drove 503 for five years. It certainly didn't start out as a cream puff. Hell, neither did 1051. But you know absolutely nothing about that since you've been on this forum a whopping year or so.

You started this shitfest by acting like a prick towards those trying to help you. I called you out on it. That's it.

Yeah you are right, I haven't been here long, but the short time I have been here has shown me how much of a tool you are. Why don't you go ahead and link the the threads where you did all that work on 1051 and 503? I'll wait...

You started this shitfest by not minding your own damn business. Don't stick your nose where it doesn't belong next time, and maybe you will avoid any shitfest recurrences. That, is it.

jnava

Staff member
Title change...lol

turbowop

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Quoting turbowop:
Why do you keep implying that only English tuned my car? They tuned it last summer, then I trapped 122mph. I tuned it the previous decade, and trapped 121mph. And beat on it, and maintained it...for 14 years. I never built an engine because it's not necessary for my goals. Next thing you'll be saying is that somebody else installed all the parts on my car.

Because English did tune your car, and before that you had a EPROM chip, which took care of most of the tuning for you, so don't sit here and act like you invented the wheel. I know how challenging it can be to dial in a MAF pro, or SAFC though. Gotta give you props there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif.

Quoting turbowop:
I also built, tuned, and daily drove 503 for five years. It certainly didn't start out as a cream puff. Hell, neither did 1051. But you know absolutely nothing about that since you've been on this forum a whopping year or so.

Yeah you are right, I haven't been here long, but the short time I have been here has shown me how much of a tool you are. Why don't you go ahead and link the the threads where you did all that work on 1051 and 503? I'll wait...

You started this shitfest by not minding your own damn business. Don't stick your nose where it doesn't belong next time, and maybe you will avoid any shitfest recurrences. That, is it.

Yeah, because eprom chips dial in methanol setups, especially ones that use large nozzles, no big deal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowrofl.gif

The point still stands, my car runs, yours doesn't. You bitch and moan about how you can't catch a break, but you just apparently suck at turning wrenches. Or measuring clearances. Or tuning. Or all of the above. Or you can just keep blaming your problems on your car or its previous owners.

I can keep doing this all night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Carry on...

GSTwithPSI

Quoting turbowop:
Yeah, because eprom chips dial in methanol setups, especially ones that use large nozzles, no big deal.

The point still stands, my car runs, yours doesn't. You bitch and moan about how you can't catch a break, but you just apparently suck at turning wrenches. Or measuring clearances. Or tuning. Or all of the above. Or you can just keep blaming your problems on your car or its previous owners.

I can keep doing this all night. Carry on...

You are using a static meth setup which is tuned to WOT. All you have to do is a little math, select a nozzle and make sure the solenoid and pump come on. It isn't nearly as hard as you are making it seem. But, coming from a guy who thinks it's rocket science to dial in an SAFC, I'm not surprised this is overwhelming to you. Why don't you post up the process of dialing in your meth setup, and awe us all.

And I may suck at turning wrenches, but at least I do it myself. I've pulled more 4G63s out of cars in the last month than you have in your life (0), and you don't see me here telling you how awesome I am for it do you? I'd actually prefer to be in your boat, and never have to pull my motor, but I guess if I were a better mechanic I'd get my wish, huh Wop? Either way, at least I have the experience, and aren't talking about sh*t I don't know anything about. I get frustrated, bitch, and moan about issue after issue just like the next guy, but I always learn from my mistakes and try again. You have had your car for over a decade and keep regurgitating the same 5 things you "accomplished" over and over. And, since I'm such a noob here on the Org, point me to where you "built" 503? I'm still waiting on the links to where you did all this supposed work to these cars, and a pic of 1051 where it started out looking like it just got pulled out of a barn? Hell, I bet you got the factory window sticker when you bought 1051. What a joke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif.

My point still stands, you have a car that's sporting bolt ons and a tune you didn't do, yet you think because it runs and puts down decent numbers on the dyno you have accomplished something? Classic. For 1051 being such a bad as beast, I thought for sure I'd see it on the DSM shootout video somewhere? Wonder why I didn't? If I didn't suck at turning wrenches, and my car wasn't broken at the time, I know mine would have been there. I bet you were probably just out driving 1051 too much, and couldn't make the shootout. I know how butt hurt you get when people tell you how much you don't drive your car, so please don't take this as me saying 1051 is just a garage queen.

Last edited:

turbowop

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
You are using a static meth setup which is tuned to WOT. All you have to do is a little math, select a nozzle and make sure the solenoid and pump come on. It isn't nearly as hard as you are making it seem. But, coming from a guy who thinks it's rocket science to dial in an SAFC, I'm not surprised this is overwhelming to you. Why don't you post up the process of dialing in your meth setup, and awe us all.

Fuel gets pulled as meth sprays. There is a lot more to it than just math. Timing also gets added and boost goes up as well. It's a separate fuel and timing map. I never said it was difficult, but a chip doesn't do the work. And the maps now look nothing like they did when I left English. I had to play with the tune all summer myself to get it right. Is it a crazy accomplishment? No. But then I never said it was. Sure beats a car on jackstands collecting dust though.

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
And I may suck at turning wrenches, but at least I do it myself. I've pulled more 4G63s out of cars in the last month than you have in your life (0), and you don't see me here telling you how awesome I am for it do you? I'd actually prefer to be in your boat, and never have to pull my motor, but I guess if I were a better mechanic I'd get my wish, huh Wop? Either way, at least I have the experience, and aren't talking about sh*t I don't know anything about. I get frustrated, bitch, and moan about issue after issue just like the next guy, but I always learn from my mistakes and try again. You have had your car for over a decade and keep regurgitating the same 5 things you "accomplished" over and over. And, since I'm such a noob here on the Org, point me to where you "built" 503? I'm still waiting on the links to where you did all this supposed work to these cars, and a pic of 1051 where it started out looking like it just got pulled out of a barn? Hell, I bet you got the factory window sticker when you bought 1051. What a joke .

I took it off a used car lot with 70k on it, bald tires, needing brakes, and smoking valve stem seals. Would I get moar rep points with you if it were rusty? I've gone through four turbo setups, a head rebuild, three transmissions, four clutches, a headgasket, three suspension setups, methanol, SAFC, Maftpro, and now ECMlink, a couple few timing belts, amongst other mods and maintenance. I wish I had the window sticker. I do it because it's fun. And I share my experience regarding all of the different things I've done to the car over the years. I only reply to threads that I actually have experience with.

I changed 503 from Maftranslator, to SAFC, and finally to ECMlink which I tuned myself. E3-16g, intercooler, suspension, brakes, fuel pump, injectors, timing belt, lifters, driveshaft rebuild, axles, maintenance, blah f***ing blah. The list goes on. So I didn't make a build thread. Big whoop.

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
My point still stands, you have a car that's sporting bolt ons and a tune you didn't do, yet you think because it runs and puts down decent numbers on the dyno you have accomplished something? Classic. For 1051 being such a bad as beast, I thought for sure I'd see it on the DSM shootout video somewhere? Wonder why I didn't? If I didn't suck at turning wrenches, and my car wasn't broken at the time, I know mine would have been there. I bet you were probably just out driving 1051 too much, and couldn't make the shootout. I know how butt hurt you get when people tell you how much you don't drive your car, so please don't take this as me saying 1051 is just a garage queen.

My car may be sporting bolt-ons and an English tune (partly), but it still runs and yours sits on jackstands. I have never once said I think my car is badass or that my accomplishments are groundbreaking. I only said that it runs and puts down numbers because YOU brought my car into this thread when you mentioned all it has was bolt-ons. Then YOU went off about how badass you think I think it is. I'm actually really modest about my car, because I know it's not that crazy in the power department. That's also why I don't need to build a motor. And are you really arguing about the shootout? This is a hobby to me. I'm not willing to spend the coin and time off work to drive from WA to OH.

You're really off your rocker. Is there anything else you'd like to know? Is this all info you need to get your car off jackstands? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Once again, just stop being a f***ing prick when somebody asks you a question. Barnes asked a legitimate question and you got all flustered for no reason. Then when I call you out you get all mad at me and start calling my car a bad beast. Your words, not mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowrofl.gif

Last edited:

JNR

One of you guys need to be the better man and let it go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

prove_it

But that's not what the internet is about.....

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned