The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Car Audio buffs

twonineseven

I need some advice, I'm looking to install a double din touch screen cd/mp3/dvd/ipod double din unit. I'm having a hard time picking out one and was wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions on the topic. Thanks

THEKID

I've been in the car audio industry for 11 years what it all comes down to is what's your budget. These units can range from $500 up to $5000. For example the unit I am using in my gvr4 at my dealer list was $2600 but I have a full windows based in car pc with mobile web. The options are limitless. But for a good unit I am partial to eclipse and alpine. Again I have been doing this for 11 years and now days I only deal in high end equiptment. But I highley recomend the alpine 900 unit it is top of the line best on the market rite now.

Last edited:

THEKID

Quoting alansupra94:
www.millionbuy.com

Had alot of good stuff at a cheap price.

Wait, you paid $2600 for what? A touchscreen and a carputer setup?

Intel Mobile CPU, 1GIG Ram, 160gb Hard Drive, GPS Receiver with Antenna, Low Level Audio Pre-Outs (5.1 Ready), HD Audio Codec, 10 USB Ports, AM/FM HD Tuner, External DVD Rom

it has XM, FM, AM, CD, MP3, DVD, VCD, Navigation (GPS), Car-Cam Ready, Picture Viewer, CD Burner, Mobile Office, Media Organizer, Vehicle Maintenance Screen, Email/Internet Ready, Windows XP and more.

when it comes to car audio i don't mess around it's a pricey unit but to me it's worth it's weight in gold I've installed it in about 40 clients cars and they all love it. I had one in my 1991 dodge stealth r/t tt and used it to run the aem ems it was amazing. not to mention the fact that i am a total music freak and have over 900 gigs of music so i can bring my external hard drive in the car with me and play my music off that so no more cd's or ipod.

alansupra94

Well you just overpaid ALOT of money for a carputer.

Why didn't you just run an inverter and a full desktop. At that 1/4 that price you could have gotten a pretty cheap dual core computer, decent video card, amazing audio card, possibly 5 1TB hard drives and a DVD-RW drive. The majority of power in a computer is used by the video card so if you step down the card, that leaves more power options for the rest of the setup. Not to mention when something breaks or blows up, its pretty cheap to replace since its not a proprietary system.

If you wanted to run an amazing video card, you simply could have gotten a bigger powersupply for the computer, a bigger inverter and a massive capacitor so the battery doesn't drain.

If you are worried about space, you can even gut a laptop or run a micro atx case. Not really that hard considering most laptop have an external video output and you can plug in a cable to. Also 5.1 audio cards that run in the PCMCIA slots are a dime a dozen.

Also you can run Linux and not have to worry about problems with shutting down the computer randomly.

As for navigation, I can just tether using my phone or I can pick up a Pioneer unit that has that function and then use an aux output for the computer setup.

Just doesn't seem logical to spend that much and get so little.

Last edited:

THEKID

actually bang for your bucks its the best way to go it is a 7" in dash head unit and is used by the feds in all government vehicles. if you know anything about my personal build you would know that money is no object. when i build my cars i go all out and do it once and do it rite.

to each his own but i personally like all in 1 units rather than having a comp then a radio then a portable pos pioneer gps. again i only deal in high end audio equipment. for the most part everything i do is f1 status. thus the reason i have such elite clients and top notch work out in the industry.

any avrage joe with two hands can install a radio. but to do work that is extreme, classy and in magazines is a whole other level.

twonineseven

ok so back to the main subject b4 this become a dick swinging competition lol how does that model i listed up there measure up?

THEKID

its an ok unit in my book but im not big on pioneer i would go alpine do you have an i pod?

alansupra94

Quoting THEKID:
actually bang for your bucks its the best way to go it is a 7" in dash head unit and is used by the feds in all government vehicles. if you know anything about my personal build you would know that money is no object. when i build my cars i go all out and do it once and do it rite.

to each his own but i personally like all in 1 units rather than having a comp then a radio then a portable pos pioneer gps. again i only deal in high end audio equipment. for the most part everything i do is f1 status. thus the reason i have such elite clients and top notch work out in the industry.

any avrage joe with two hands can install a radio. but to do work that is extreme, classy and in magazines is a whole other level.

...I never said a portable gps reciever....but I guess you must have mistaken what I said.

If you knew anything about computer than you know paying for $2600 is way too much for a sub par system with no graphics options. You essentially paid for a 6 year old computer.

Oh and how do you get internet? I have both a wireless card and can tether using my phones 3G internet anywhere wireless isn't. Does your system offer that ability?

For GPS, you can just get a GPS PCI card. They have been proven to be very, very accurate.

Also, if you system is so "grand" why don't you have a solid state drive?

I can run a HDTV monitor, 7.1 audio from a proven soundblaster card, dual monitor displaying 2 different desktops so I can watch movies on one and have a desktop on another, I can log from my motec ecu, play every game produced for the pc and emulators I choose. I have a blueray dvd drive that I can toss in to watch blue ray dvds anytime I want if I chose. I have enough open ports to run 4 1tb HDD drives if I want.

1GB of ram? Is that why you are running a 6 year old operating system? That's barely enough to run Windows 7. I got 4gbs with 2 slots left over. I have both my HDDs in RAID setup so if one crashes, the other can boot no problem. I also can run Linux and just turn off the computer at anytime and not have to worry about messed up registry files.

Also you can run a multitude of front end programs that are all for free.

My whole setup cost me about $600 not including monitors which wouldn't be that much for the best quality touch screen models.

There is a big difference between computer and audio. You may know a lot about audio but you know 0 about computers. For someone going all out and doing it right, you took some serious corners when doing research when it comes to carputers.

Last edited:

AnotherNewb

THEKID, what happens when you hit 88.8 mph? Now if you can only figure out how to fit a cappuccino machine in there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

alansupra94

Actually with my simple inverter, I could just plug one in.

But lord knows I would have to spend $50000 for a solid gold one instead of a normal one just so people know I wasted my money.

alansupra94

Quoting twonineseven:
ok so back to the main subject b4 this become a dick swinging competition lol how does that model i listed up there measure up?

click

I would get the 7in double din. Its only $50 more.

Unless you really want bluetooth.

alansupra94

You should go to Bestbuy and see if they have it on display.

Just measure it with a tape measure and check.

I haven't been in my VR4 long enough to make that judgement call for you. Sorry.

alansupra94

Let me see if I can get a spec sheet for you.

Have you tried the pioneer website for specs?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned