The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Call me crazy: Thinking of running 19in wheels

If you're more concerned about how the car looks instead of how the car handles and drives then go with the 19s. It seems silly to upgrade to a larger wheel when a 15in wheel will fit over the brakes just fine. Why increase the rotating mass if you don't have to?

boostedinaz

Quoting GSX_TC:
Just wish they made AGX's for the fronts haha

As mentioned AGX are available and they are junk. Had them on my lowered Talon with Ground Controls and with only a slightly drop they bottomed out and rode horribly.

To many people automaticaly associate a stiff ride with great handeling. Just because a car is stiff doesn't means it handles worth a crap.

Last edited:

turbowop

Quoting KiNgMaRtY:
All in all 18's do feel better in terms of less roll for better handling

This depends a lot on the tire choice as well though. Get a 17" wheel and use a tire with a stiff sidewall, and you won't notice any sidewall mushyness. My car with 17's now easily outhandles the way it was with 18's.

turbowop

Quoting HiImBrian:
It seems silly to upgrade to a larger wheel when a 15in wheel will fit over the brakes just fine. Why increase the rotating mass if you don't have to?

Some of us have larger brakes. I can't fit anything smaller than a 17" on the front of my car.

^And that makes perfect sense to me, but I doubt anybody on here "needs" a 19 inch rim to clear their brakes haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

KiNgMaRtY

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting KiNgMaRtY:
All in all 18's do feel better in terms of less roll for better handling

This depends a lot on the tire choice as well though. Get a 17" wheel and use a tire with a stiff sidewall, and you won't notice any sidewall mushyness. My car with 17's now easily outhandles the way it was with 18's.

oooops, my bad. Didn't even realize I had stated 18's again. No way, I meant the 17's feel much better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

cheekychimp

Quoting HiImBrian:
^And that makes perfect sense to me, but I doubt anybody on here "needs" a 19 inch rim to clear their brakes haha.

No but some of us "need" an 18 inch rim to clear their brakes ... I hate to bring this pic up again but for those who doubt an 18" rim is necessary

img.php

And THAT one isn't a photoshop (numerous others do exist /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif) the rotors really are that big

img.php

img.php

And whilst I certainly won't dispute that ride quality on 17s is good I don't think 18s will necessarily give a bad ride, the key as Mark pointed out is getting the setup right so that you don't rub or live on the bump stops. The key to this for me was not dumping the car so low and going with the rally spec Hotbit struts which are going to lift things a little. Not as much as here on the lift though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

img.php

One final thing I would add here is that whilst for handling and comfort it should always be function over form, black wheels will always look smaller than white, bronze or silver. It's just a colour perception thing. Consequently although I don't have a picture here to show it, the car actually looks very good with these wheels in black!

alansupra94

Damn sh*t just got real in this thread.

I didn't buy them nor contacted him back. After finding out they were RH and not Racingharts, I didn't see the point. I will be keeping my eyes peeled for some 17 or 18 wheels that look nice.

Will be looking into building or maybe buying a set of coilovers. Always have been tempted to build a set but the required reading is a bit extensive for my shortage on time.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned