The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Brake light turns on randomly (kinda)

SiennaLover69

So for the past week my brake light has been coming on somewhat randomly. I only say that because most of the time when it comes on is after I do a left turn lol. And sometimes it will turn off for no reason or when I do a hard right turn. Weird, im not too much of an expert but im guessing something is hitting something else to make the light turn on lol.
Any advice on where do proceed would be much appreciated.

mitsuturbo

Brake lights, at the rear of the vehicle, or the parking brake/low brake fluid indicator light?

mitsuturbo

Check your brake fluid. There's a low level indicator. If it's low, it can ONLY be one of 3 things.

Pads are worn down and the fluid is at rest in the calipers

You have a leak

The system was bled and not topped off afterward

FlyingEagle

Staff member
If the above (which covers anything else I could also think of related to these brake systems) does not yield any results, and the master cylinder does have a switch/contact to account for low fluid and or excessive pedal travel, you may have an alternator that needs a new set of brushes, assuming the regulator is still working properly.

Alternator brushes wearing out is only a matter of time with high mileage alternators. It is a wear item after all.

Check your voltage across the battery terminals when the light is out.
If the light comes on, leave the engine running and pop the hood.
Check the voltage across the terminals again.
If you have room and won't get burned, check the voltage at the positive/ouput post of the alternator, and the other lead to the battery neg.

I had the brake light coming on and off going back from work one summer. Turns out I was at 11.5V's or battery voltage only when the light was on. My brushes wore out and were on the fringe of not enough pressure to contact the stator properly.

Last edited:

fuel

^^ if that were the case you would have the battery light and the ABS lamp coming on too.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
This.

Quoting mitsuturbo:
Check your brake fluid. There's a low level indicator. If it's low, it can ONLY be one of 3 things.

Pads are worn down and the fluid is at rest in the calipers

You have a leak

The system was bled and not topped off afterward

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting fuel:
^^ if that were the case you would have the battery light and the ABS lamp coming on too.

Likely the difference between the C53a and E39a electrical setups. My case was with a C53a which never got ABS.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned