The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bazeng Update - VR4 +T51R SPL. - start up and idle video with new cams.

bazeng

20-11-09

VR4 Block Weld

Not as scary as it sounds, I noticed a tiny little crack where the lower front engine mount bolts up to the block.

I used a flywheel bolt in there so we are guessing that the bolt may have hydro'd it during install on the new block.

The previous block didn't have an issue but it is quite possible that different tooling is used when making different blocks etc etc (2.0L vs 2.4L)

Anyway, Barry from BJP was arranged to weld the block @ Springy Motors using the Tig @ Springy.

Now everybody says that cast iron welding is difficult, but not with Barry. The welder @ Springy was a LICOLN welder which is about $12k worth. Barry was highly impressed with the welder and in all honesty, the job was done within the hour.

I supplied a dummy block (my old block with the cracked sleeve) for test welding. A few adjustments later we were ready to do the block in the car.

If anybody needs cast iron welding (manifolds / exhaust housings etc, organise it either with Springy Motors or BJP.

Hair-line crack
DSC03086800x600.jpg

Crack die ground out
DSC03089800x600.jpg

BJP in action
DSC03090800x600.jpg

All fixed
DSC03093.jpg

bazeng

20-11-09

VR4 Idle tuning

Ok, since the block was repaired Springy and myself were comfortable to start tuning.

We began with the basic IDLE tuning.
I had already set water pump speed / Motec SDL calibrations and basic SM4 settings.

Dan @ Springy began adjusting the o2 offsets / ignition idle map / fuel maps etc.

The SM4 is quite complicated to use (not user friendly) so you really need to know the unit to take full advantage of it.

Anyway, I hooked up the wideband into the exhaust and interfaced it to the SM4.

The VR4 doesn't have and idle valve so idle is all done via igntion maps on the SM4. The SM4 has a feature which uses igntion to control idle.

Some pics and vids.
It idles perfectly @ 900rpm without idle control. Under 5% tps, the idle map kicks in and basically it uses igntion advance to increase torque on the motor which then ups the rpm and on decel it cuts the injectors to drop the idle back down, and then turns them back on at a certain point and adds timing etc etc... (constantly doing this to maintain a smooth idle)... Amazing stuff.

Not too bad for a full 4" exhaust hey?

VR4 on the hoist (exhaust pics)
DSC03097.jpg

DSC03096.jpg

gmp

that vrfoe is prob one of the nicest that side of the equator or maybe the world anymore...

Ralli380Gvr4

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

bazeng

Quoting turbowop:
Epic.

So you do telecom wiring as well, Bazeng? What type of stuff?

I install / commission a bunch of different gear.
Mainly Nokia equipment (GSM / 3G) also a bunch of radio / mux / power systems...
I work on the mobile towers and have had some exchange experience.. Yourself???

Thanks for the comments on the VR4 guys.
I'm away from home at the moment (working interstate) so the car is in the hands of the workshop.
They just need to weld the screamer pipe (I didn't have time to do it) and then give it a run in tune on the dyno.

I want to see this beast with the front bumper back on. I am really interseted to see how it'll run. Always like your work!

turbowop

Quoting bazeng:
Quoting turbowop:
Epic.

So you do telecom wiring as well, Bazeng? What type of stuff?

I install / commission a bunch of different gear.
Mainly Nokia equipment (GSM / 3G) also a bunch of radio / mux / power systems...
I work on the mobile towers and have had some exchange experience.. Yourself???

I do mostly network infrastructure. Cat5/6, fiber, telco. Full installs, service work, campus wide fiber/copper backbone, etc. Also do service work on various phone systems like the Nortel Norstar key systems.

Last edited:

bazeng

If you are ever looking for work here! I'm sure I can get you a job.
It is majorly busy down here!

Anyway, update on my car:

3-12-09

VR4 Tuning

Ok guys.

I mounted my Sports Dash Logger which is removable via wing nuts.
Still to complete the my centre dash restoration. I still need some bits to complete. Hopefully I get them soon.

Springy Motors will be tuning the car today. I'll be about 3 hours away from the city for work.
We strapped it up and prepped it all last night. Run in tune here we come!

DSC03271.jpg

DSC03272.jpg

DSC03280.jpg

DSC03271.JPG
DSC03271.JPG

CarRacer

This car is crazy, the time and effort you've put into the car shows. Props on building a beast.

MMCVR4

Quoting bazeng:
evo8ya:
Genuine Mitsu badges. A friend of mine works in spares. I'm trying to get my hands on a new AMG spark plug cover. I've just got to give him my VIN number.

Very nice work! The TUNED BY AMG S/P cover is really nice. I was lucky to get my hands on a brand new cover from Japan. By any chance you have the part numbers for the badges?

bazeng

Ok guys,

It has been tuned on the dyno (run in tune)..

Final power figure will not be released as yet.

Here is the graph with the top end hidden!

I don't want to reveal it until we finish the run in / race it.

Curve looks good.
Everything went very well!

All the boys were shocked when it made the power.. it was effortless they claimed. No timing was advanced, boost is at minimum (gate spring pressure)..

In HP it is

350 kilowatt = 469.357 732 35 horsepower [international]
375 kilowatt = 502.883 284 67 horsepower [international]
400 kilowatt = 536.408 836 98 horsepower [international]
425 kilowatt = 569.934 389 29 horsepower [international]

All I can say is that it made between 350 - 425kw's at all four wheels.

What is the approx efficiency loss to the wheels?
What would the power be at the flywheel???

Regardless... I'm extrememly happy with the outcome.. Time to enjoy her for the Christmas break!

Last edited:

RedTwo

What's up with the jumps in the power curve? That was run on spring pressure only right?
Damn I hate dynos that measure road speed - 170 KPH is about the top of 3rd gear I think.

368-370 kW based on interpolation, 450kW based on this plot (clearly you broke the dyno and acutally have more power than this) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bloody good numbers there!

Adorsey

very impressed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

curtis

Boy broke the dyno. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

bazeng

LOL
That looks like turbo #2 kicking in!!

The waves in the graph are not experienced on the road.
It must be the way the dyno translates the power onto the graph.
It is a digital dyno and is very sensitive.. It even picks up boost curves with slow solenoid rates (instead of a straight line for boost, it has zigzags within .2 psi)

This is with the 3.909 ratio box so its 4th gear redlining currently at 7500rpm.
We will up the redline to 8000 if things hold up. Hopefully it will shift ok at 8000 rpm also!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts