The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

89 center tailight section?

Quote:
Two different shape decklids. definately

Rich

This thread pisses me off.

Its in your head. I put 89 tails on my 91 with no problem. i now have 93 taillights in with no problem.

I have A PICTURE of my 91 with 89 tails IN THIS THREAD. This isnt science, they just screw in.

Last edited by a moderator:

^^^What the man said! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

rheckert

Quote:
Oh that's right, I pulled the bulbs out of my center section taillights. I thought it looked ghey with all that red back there. I was thinking about wiring up a really bright bulb on one side of the center section with a manual switch to be used as a rear foglight, ala Saab, Audi, Volvo.

I also misted some dark spray paint on my license plate bulbs so it doesn't have sun-like beacons illuminating it.

I loved that about my volvo till I got pulled over for faulty equiptment. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

89 tails fit. Hertz has them as well if I recall.

misterfixit

To substantiate-------
89 decklid:

89up decklid:

No it's definately not science.

Mouthy C*unts p*ss me off.

Rich

Quote:
Quote:

Rich

Its in your head. I put 89 tails on my 91 with no problem. i now have 93 taillights in with no problem.

I have A PICTURE of my 91 with 89 tails IN THIS THREAD. This isnt science, they just screw in.

atc250r

Staff member
Quote:

Ummmmmm. No. It's not in anyone's "head". I can't tell you a specific year break but there is a slight difference in the sheet metal of the trunk lid that is underneath the center section of the tail lights. If you'd like a picture of the modifications I needed to make in order to have the center part sit flush on the trunk/tail light combo I'm using then I'll be happy to take one for you so you can see it. Here is a break down of the different trunk lids straight from CAPS:

E33A:

8801.1 - 9005.3 = MB549999
9006.1 - 9302.3 = MB835143

(the break on the tail lights is the same dates /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif)

E39A:

ALL = MB835143

There was certainly a difference of some sort and the fact that the date breaks for the tails were the same as those for the different trunks I'd have to say that the reason the trunks were different was that the tails were different.

Oh, and yes I don't have anything better to do today since its my day off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John

atc250r

Staff member
Quote:

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Simultaneous posting 4TW! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Thanks for saving me the trouble of taking those pics Rich.

John

OK riddle me this. He asked do 89 lights fit on a 91/92 your pictures prove they DO. They have holes for lights that aren't there.

What YOU proved is that 91/92 lights wont fit on an 89 trunk without cutting holes for lights.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

To put in the 89 tails you simply dont plug in the lights. I said the lids werent different because if you have a 91 and up WHICH HE DOES, you can put in any taillight you want.

In this thread are pictures of my car with 89, 91, and 93 lights with no modification as well.

Edited for language /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quote:
To substantiate-------
89 decklid:

89up decklid:

No it's definately not science.

Rich

Quote:
Quote:

Rich

atc250r

Staff member
Here is what he asked:

Quote:
Will the 89 center taillight section fit on the 91, 92 trunks? I've heard they won't, just tryin to find out for sure. I think they also don't have lights in them or sunthin? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I simply stated that you may have to do some cutting to make them fit flush. You are insisting that it is not necessary to do anything but bolt them in. That is NOT true. The large holes present in the newer trunk have NOTHING to do with the fitment of 1989 tails. The reason cutting is needed is that there are two bulges where the holes are on the 1991 trunk and those bulges are flat on the earlier trunks. I'm not sure why you're so steadfast against it being a possibility that some trunks might need to be "massaged" a little to make the 1989 center fit properly. I was under the impression that it was a simple swap when I did mine and then I found out the hard way that the 10 minute job was a bit more involved since some cutting was required.

John

^Ok. Mine popped right in. Maybe he'll be lucky like me and have that universal fit trunk.

Hertz

Staff member
Mine fit 99%, there is something a little bit off and I figured it was my drunken installation. It's close enough that I haven't done anything with it to make it fit better, but for the most part '89s attach right up to the 91 deck lid.

So, I would confirm, you can install them without doing anything special, but a little light work is needed to make them fit perfectly flush.

I did buy an extra set of '91 center tails which I intend (some day) to fit into the 89 centers to give me brake lights there if I ever decide I want them.

CP

All this over a $40 section of lights? Maybe I'll look for some 89 tails and put them on my car instead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Anyone got any?

DR1665

Quote:
All this over a $40 section of lights? Maybe I'll look for some 89 tails and put them on my car instead Anyone got any?

I do. I'm thinking I don't want to use them. If you're interested, shoot me a PM, sir. They came off an AZ car with less than 60k on it. Pics if you like.

Quote:
All this over a $40 section of lights? Maybe I'll look for some 89 tails and put them on my car instead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Anyone got any?

I have a full set that was off my car.

CP

Well, this thread made up my mind. I installed the lights on my own car. Thanks for starting the thread!

Removing the stock lights:

I painted the chrome trim around the lights black, but upon looking at my stock lights, I think the black trim from those can be unscrewed and used with the 89 taillights.

The fit isn't perfect (small gap above tails and trunklid), but I didn't have to cut or tweak anything. The blinkers are MUCH more visible than the stock ones, which is great. I've only got brake blubs in the outer part, as one of them was super dim and I didn't feel like messing with the wiring to track it down.

CP

Just do it. It can't be much easier. I'd do it again just for the added visibility of the turn signals, and to be different /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OMG and those are my taillights on CPs car!

How did you do it without hacking up your trunk?!?! I read somewhere that it wouldnt work?!?!?

Oh noez!!!1!!eleven

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Looks awesome on the wingless car Cy. Glad you are putting some use on them.

CP

I don't see where you guys were talking about hacking anything. The center section fit just fine, albeit with a little twisting and banging to get the studs through all the bolt holes in my stock trunk.

I sealed the lights to the car with black silicone caulk from Home Depot Racing, as well as the top lip of the center section where it meets that rubber strip attached to the trunk.

I thought the tails were bunk until I opened them up and discovered you jacked all the bulbs before sending them to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif The left inner brake bulb connection is messed up, so I just left the inner sockets empty. I had disabled my stock inner lights too in the other center section, so it's no big deal. Thanks for PMing me so fast with the taillights!

Like I said, the blinkers are much more visible than the stock ones are, which is a great asset here in the Boston area, where the roads are filled with crazed Massholes always trying to run you down.

Yeah I had to use the lights bulbs for my 93 tails sorry. But yeah on the 89 lights compared to the 91s the turn signals are more yellow than dull amber.

I recently got a set of '89 tails and after running into some difficulty installing them, found this thread while searching. I can't speak to other people's experience but my '89 center section did NOT just bolt onto my '92 trunk; the tails bolted in perfectly. I couldn't even get the center section in no matter how much bending or tweaking I did, and after some really loud gut wrenching cracking noises I gave up for the night. Today I put the two center sections next to each other and did some measuring, and without a doubt the mounting points changed between the years. I think the pics are fairly self explanatory, but I'll try to answer any questions if there's any confusion regarding my less than scientific techniques. After I finish modding the trunk lid I'll post pics of that too.

In a nutshell, one of the mounting studs on the '92 center section is on the bulb housing, and is located slightly closer to the top of the center panel. I tried to show this both in relation to a 3rd point of reference (stereo pocket) and in relation to the lower mounting stud. Closer inspection revealed an even bigger difference, that being the depth of the mounting stud, which is shown in the bottom pic.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned