The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

8.5" wheel at +30 offset

mitsuturbo

I think the first order of business would be making sure they have tires on them that are of proper fit. Those are a bit stretched, and it looks absolutely awful. I don't imagine that tire/wheel combo looking remotely good on one of our cars.

Now, that stack in the background... those wheels have tires on them that fit proper.

Turbo99

Those are just the junk tires that came on them when I bought them. They'll be getting a meaty tire, don't you worry.

IncorpoRatedX

damn i love those wheels, mount up! I wanna see that sh*t.

Turbo99

I've made a lot of wheel and tire combos fit various cars.

I just have to decide on what the best tire for this application is going to be without running into issues.

Looks like it'll either end up being a 235/40 or a 245/40

Turbo99

Have run into a few hiccups along the way.

Rear fitment is exactly where I thought it would be with a 5mm spacer, but the front pokes more than I thought it would. I have not purchased tires yet but it has me concerned to say the least.

I'll keep you updated on what happens. Looking at other pictures of 17x9 setups on here I'm surprised it comes out that far up front. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Last edited:

fuel

how much negative camber are you running up front? if you have adjustment left you could probably crank in a few degrees more. Otherwise pull the fenders out a bit.

Another thought is don't 'over-tire' it. I know how you Americans love putting 265/45s on 8" wide rims, you'll probably be able to get away with 225 or 235 with a lower 40 profile sidewall and it still wont look extreme hella flush/omg stance y0!

Last edited:

Turbo99

I am almost 100% positive the camber is the issue (just popped the wheel on the hub to see how it sits). In fact, it looks like it has a little positive camber up front /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif (yuck).

I'll crank the BC camber plate all the way in and see how it looks. If people can successfully cram 235 Star Specs on 17x8+35 I don't see why it wouldn't fit to be honest - those tires run wide and people are pretty low on that setup. Just looks scary to start /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rear spaced 5mm (17x9 +30)

NXGXHe9.jpg

rahtmWy.jpg

Trailing arm clearance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

0xbzVlg.jpg

And what I have to work with up front.

Keep in mind, this was also spaced 5mm, so it will come in a little, but seeing that much barrel makes me cringe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
I have faith that I can make this work. The car will not be super low and between the BC's and Whiteline goodies I should be able to keep things in check.

Nsr33U3.jpg

It looks scary because the bottom of the fronts of the doors is the narrowest part, but it's not that far out from the bumper.

My guess is a 235/40 and 2.5 degrees of negative camber will leave me with enough room for the tires to just tuck in the guards for suspension travel.

I have made a lot of wheels fit a lot of cars successfully. I have faith!

89Patches

The only way to tell how the front will fit is to get some tires and put her on the ground.
When I fitted my rims it look the same as yours! And don't be afraid of doing a little roll and pull
as most vr4 guys seem to be..

GSTwithPSI

Quoting Turbo99:
I am almost 100% positive the camber is the issue (just popped the wheel on the hub to see how it sits). In fact, it looks like it has a little positive camber up front /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif (yuck).

When you are test fitting the wheels, are you supporting the weight of the car by the suspension? I only ask because it doesn't look like it from the pics you posted. The camber will always look positive with the suspension hanging limp in the air. Support the car with stands under each control arm, and then see where your fitment stands.

Last edited:

EMX5636

Just for reference, this is 18x9.5" 22mm offset with 225's on it. I'm running 2-2.5* negative camber.

And this is 18x9" 30mm offset with a 245.

Fenders are both rolled and pulled the "flat" vertical section out of them.

bmxr152

Im running a 16x8 with 15mm offset and negative 2 degrees camber and it still tucks in pretty well, and quite a bit of clearance from strut and trailing arm.
BTW im running a 222/40-16 in rear and a 205/55-16 up front also with no issues.

Turbo99

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Quoting Turbo99:

When you are test fitting the wheels, are you supporting the weight of the car by the suspension? I only ask because it doesn't look like it from the pics you posted. The camber will always look positive with the suspension hanging limp in the air. Support the car with stands under each control arm, and then see where your fitment stands.

Yes it was on blocks with pads. I'm sure it will come in more though. I'd love to not roll the front fenders if I can get away without doing it. Just curious, what do you guys do with the tabs that hold the fender liner in place? They seem like they'd be more of the issue than the fenders themselves which are pretty flat already.

Turbo99

Moved the camber plates in, I think we have a winner.

Will sit 5mm closer to the hub than this.

cuVblB5.jpg

And so you can see how they'll look on the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1d6at5X.jpg

I'm beyond excited to get this finished. Currently have the wheels split. Replacing 2 lips, polishing the other two and having the centers resprayed since there a few scratches.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Looks gorgeous, can't wait to see how they'll look with tires and on the ground.

Lancer99

New form of JSB? Nice rims but cant afford the rubber. Those do really look sweet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

bazeng

Just a quick few questions,

1. did the rears fit without the spacer?
2. Do the fronts clear the suspension?

I've just purchased some 15x8" 30 offset rims also and hope that I don't need any spacers for the drag slicks...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned