The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

666/1000

1dvsdsm

Hey, some of you know I bought 666 about 2 weeks ago not running. I received it head disassembled and parts in the trunk. I would like to say that after only 24 hours at Bond Speedworks in San Tan Valley, AZ the motor was rebuilt and is now running. The amount that was wrong was extensive including lowering springs that look like they were for a dsm, a downpipe connected with only 1 home depot bolt and nut, a valve in the motor when some one was attempting a head on valve seal replacement and dropped it, broken ring lands, dirt in the motor from sitting with out a valve cover on, missing spark plugs, many blown or non existent gaskets, stuck injector, boost leaks, missing bolts and nuts, a few cut wires, and general grime all over the bottom. Kristen and I rebuilt most of the block and thanks to his Warehouse amount of spare parts we were able to replace almost everything needed to make her run.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif A SPECIAL THANKS TO ALAMO AUTOSPORTS FOR PROVIDING All AFTERMARKET PARTS FOR THIS REBUILD! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

She is now on dsmlink v3 full, has a refreshed block, new oem pistons, new mls head gasket, H&R springs, ACL race bearings, OEM gaskets, EVO9 timing belt, arp hardware and tomorrow a bath. I will be heading back to texas tomorrow in my first gvr4...LIKE A BOSS! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

p.s. I didn't take as many pics as I would have liked but they will be coming later.

tombaman

Glad to hear another one made it back on the road. Enjoy and congrats. Can't wait to see some pics

Congrats on the restore and lucky enough to have an awesome number I'm jealous

BluFalcon

Yikes! Triple 6 is here in Arlington? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif Good job on rescuing this one. Where did you pick the car up?

92_talon_awd

Awesome job bringing it back! Jelly of your # /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

JamesFoster

Same. I still want one of the two #666 cars.

ktmrider

Quoting 1dvsdsm:
I would like to say that after only 24 hours at Bond Speedworks in San Tan Valley, AZ the motor was rebuilt and is now running.

Kristen is the man for sure!

GL, hope the rest of the restoration goes well.

1dvsdsm

Quoting ktmrider:
Quoting 1dvsdsm:
I would like to say that after only 24 hours at Bond Speedworks in San Tan Valley, AZ the motor was rebuilt and is now running.

Whats up Mike! Hows Shaunts gvr4 running? Btw this is Tom, the guy who came out to ablq and did that overnighter engine swap with Kristen.

Donnie, I met you like 2 years ago when you had that black 3kgt at Richards. And glad I beat ya to the punch on this one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

1dvsdsm

Some more bad news. This morning we went to take it out to get some miles on the engine and found significant difficulties getting it in gear. Inspecting the clutch fork I found when Kristen let off the clutch the fork was bouncing around... that's never a good sign. Well we took off in the hx40 turbo colt for Tucson to visit Archie at PSI and get some intercooler pipes fabed up and powder coated. This gave me plenty of time to think about what could be the causes. Deep in thought (passed out) in the plush over stuffed furniture in the front office, I decided just to drop the trans when we got back.

Heres what we found. Improperly installed clutch, pressure plate bolts hand tight, dowel pins cut off presumably before it was installed, no dowel pin in crank, shaft collar broke off, and Lots of dirt. we can only guess based on the quality of install that due to improper installation of pressure plate that the un even surface caused enough pressure against the clutch fork to crack and eventually break the collar. But its just a best guess. (keep your clutch nice and tight)

Ill update ya'll tomorrow after we figure out this bell housing thing.

1dvsdsm

Also thanks and nice to meet you all. I am sure some of you I have talked with in the past or on dsmtuners or ecmtuning or dsmtrader or... its a big list. I now reside at Alamo Autosports in Arlington, TX. But for tonight I got to crash so I can get this done and head home, I got a lot of peeps interested in seeing this clean little lady.

ktmrider

Quoting 1dvsdsm:
Quoting ktmrider:
Quoting 1dvsdsm:

Whats up Mike! Hows Shaunts gvr4 running? Btw this is Tom, the guy who came out to ablq and did that overnighter engine swap with Kristen.

Hey Tom, good to hear from ya!

Shant and #86 are doing well today, had some bad luck last year when a foreign object passed thru #4 cylinder otherwise she's performing DD duties admirably. BTW he got the 'Vette supercharger installed, put down 650+ whp.

Bummer on the clutch stuff, at least you'll do it right this time....

G

Staff member
Dam, I thought 666 was going to be red /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned