The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

565 I love you

Terrance362

Well this morning I went start my carand I drove it for like under 5 min....and I then I went back home, after I backed it in. I then poped the hood and I went to go check on somthing and the motor just cut off. Then I went to go restart it and it would not turn over. The motor will not turn, the battery is strong and the starter is working fine. The motor just won't turn. I think that it is locked up. Please if you have any suggestions...

And the car has 214,000 miles on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Barnes

Take the spark plugs out(might not even need to do this really), put it in neutral, and try rotating the crank with a ratchet on the crank pulley. Oh, and cross your fingers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

slugsgomoo

either the starter isn't as good as you think, or something bad has happened.

as Jon said, put it in neutral, and rotate it by hand. It's not necessary to take the plugs out but it does make it easier and only takes like 2 minutes on these cars.

rgeier11

Take off the timing cover. Odds are your balance belt or timing belt has bit the dust. Your pistons are hitting your valves. I've had this happen twice and it sucks.

Terrance362

yeah I am hoping to, what if it dose rotate maybe starter I hope. damn man I just got my car and I hate for this to happen.

When my timing belt broke, it still cranked over...the valves were bent and it had no compression but it still turned over /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

possibly siezed...was the motor healthy before this? compression test recently? try cranking it by hand like these guys say...

Diego

same thing happened to me.. still have yet to figure what is the culprit

Terrance362

well she is locked I am jst so happy...Now I need a block and some pistons and a oil pump.....and suggestions on turbo and mani......I guess I am going to go for 450-500 since I already have some stuff already built for my other project...maybe a 35r

Terrance362

Well I guess I am going for what ever... I am going to take my block out probley next week and take it to the shope....I am going 0.20 over with a built head and manley pistons and eagle rods and acl tri metal bearing....bc 272's and maybe a gutted cyclone mani.....If anyone see's any flaws please help and give your feedback....

Diego

why a gutted cyclone.. i mean ya they flow what like 5% better then a usdm mani..
if your building for 400-500+ why not a SMIM? my .02.

Diego

cOmpressor

Or just stick with the stock intake mani, or if your cool get one extrude honed.

Terrance362

well i called my self trying to get more out of one by cleaning one and taking the butterflys out and the reinstaling them....I even had a guy that was going to use a water jet to make me some thin sheet metal gaskets...But then some stuff came up and I just put it in the box with the rest of stuff..Maybe I will give him a call and finish.

Terrance362

okay question this is my first gvr4...I am going to do all my own work...What is the easist way to take the motor out without a lift....Transfer case first then drive shaft and then axles then motor help...I want to be right...

rgeier11

Downpipe
Crossmembers and transfer case.
Transmission from the bottom.
Engine from the top.

That's how I do it.

Terrance362

wow I just got off work and I tried to turn my car over and it did after a couple tries.....wow I don't know I am going to put the plugs and stuff back in and see if it cranks up.....I have never herd of a motor that was locked unlock it self..I guess I will find out sometime this week..It spins fast, I don't know??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I mean was the starter bad or going bad....When I was tryin to start it I have smelled somthing burning( I think the starter) I am racking my brain /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I guess I will see soon and I will post the results /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

streetmasters

Bette get that hood latch checked out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

1990ggsxnj

Did you check the timing before doing that?

GVR-4

How about you set aside your goal of 500 hp and read and learn what to do to prepare the car for your goals. Too many people hastily start throwing high performance parts at these cars without addressing the fundamentals first. That's my suggestion. You're not even sure what's wrong.

Terrance362

wow.....well i have another thread on tech and the title is big power 565 so check that out umkay......i cranked my car after putting some oil in then i reved it up and then lock so i am sure she us done....

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned