The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4WS removed- intact

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I spent too many hours the last two days removing the 4wS from my 92. There was nothing wrong with it, as the car is in great condition other than the engine. I managed to remove everything intact except for two clamps the body that I cut off (damn phillips screws). So if anyone needs any parts, I have everything available. Getting those two return lines out was a treat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. I will probably post a for sale later for the rack lines that people often need to replace due to rust. Mine were good.

I put in a LSD, which was the main impetus for this, and I will be using the original diff to put a 4ws capable LSD into my 91.

fun, fun.

BoostedAWD91

how did u plug the rack? Did u have to drop the rack and swaybar to get the lines out? I was gonna do it but i couldnt see anyway to get the lines out besides dropping the rack and the swaybar was in the way of the rack. I ended up buying fittings from earls to cap the lines off where they unscrew with a m14x1.5 female cap

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
If you undo the sway bar rubber mounts, you can drop it enough, then I did loosen the driver's side rack attaching bolts, and did remove the passenger side bolts completely. Then I could get a wrench on that line that goes in vertically. That is the only one that gave me real trouble.

i plugged them with drain plug bolts and washers for now. Car is not running, so I will test for leaks later and employ some other method if those do not work.

Terry Posten

Wow, you have a lot of patients. I could not bring myself to spend that much time on the removal. I just used tin snips and cut the lines at each tight spot and made the job easy on myself.

Good job.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The only real problem was getting the long low pressure lines out from the front of the car. I did have to lower the front crossmember on one side, then they worked right out.

Galantvr41062

You can swap the drive gear for the 4WS onto the 4 bolt diff, you just have to re-shim the rear end when installing the 4 bolt diff into the 3 bolt AWS housing.

~John

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Actually I have another LSD unit that I will be combining with the 4ws diff just taken out of the car. that will go into my 91 and retain the 4ws. I spent time and money fixing that two years ago, so I am keeping it for now.

blacksheep

Quoting Terry Posten:
Wow, you have a lot of patients.
Good job.

Time to change his username to Dr. Iceman! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned