The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

448/2000 norcal; Update; ON THE ROAD!!!

Sr71sss

I know that car, the guy was some short filipino guy in the east bay area right, that dude complained when I sold him a stock vr4 exhaust system and called me to complain that it did not bolt up, that retard didnt realize that he didnt have a stock downpipe to begin with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

That car was owned by 2 lesbian girls that dropped it off at east bay mitsubishi because it had not started so the shop looked at it and told them to bend over and give us $1100 for a new ecu /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Then the guy you bought that car from offered them $1100 for the car as is and got it for that- I sold him a 1g ecu and he got it running for another $75 and he still complained to me about the exhaust system after he had his guy weld it on - damn Flips I swear complain complain and think everyone is discriminating against him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

That cars interior was mint and the sunroof was working at the time too, boy that car sounds like it went to Sh@$% when that flip got ahold of it

I like the very rare factory tow hitch you got on that car too

WOW, good to hear some real history on this car. For 2,000$ for a running vr4 with no big dents or dings, it was worth the gamble. Yes the 20k or so the car does not have records for i can tell not much if anything was really done to it.

Add to the list; Tires worn on the insides on the front obviously needs an alignment but we shall get to that, progress is all stop until i get the trans out and rebuilt.

oh and if you want the tow hitch you can have it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif well trade me something useful.

Its been neglected for a while clearly. It is taking EVERYTHING i have to keep me from spending my savings on it. I really want the aem ems II. I have the sct and pro racer, only using it on my NA explorer, but it was so much fun getting it tuned up, i cant imagine how much fun the vr4 would be to play with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

also odd the ecu would fail twice in the same vehicle? i have a spare on the floorboard just in case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Sr71sss

forgot to add congrats on saving this car as the PO you got it from did not care for it, it was just a cheap mode of transport, he hads kids and from what it sounds like now he did not care for the car which is sad because I remember seeing it when that car "WAS" mint but let the wrong guy own it and it all goes to S#$%

tow hitch is cool but I think I will let my 1993 Dodge CTD to do REAL towing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

might post a thread on this if i dont get any help, TRE has a special on the 90 DSM trans with 22 splines. Comes with a welded center and double syncro second. I could have it at my door for 1000$ that is a steal and exactly what im looking for.

Question; I have read many a thread about what the gvr4 91 shoulda woulda coulda had for splines, im asking what would i need to run a 90 dsm trans with 22 splines.

I understand also the intermediate shaft is smaller (42mm vs 47mm) and has a shorter first gear, but just to get this car rolling i dont see why that would be too much of an issue.

Thoughts? Whomever i spoke to at TRE said it would "bolt right in" but further research is showing that the trans might be significantly different and the chances of having a 22 spline is slim.

To do the exchange on a trans with evo 1st gear welded diff and double second gear synchro im looking at damn near 1600$ after shipping. Havent even got to the new clutch, flywheel and pp yet.

To rebuild myself the parts run in the 600$ range.

link to the sale trans
click
1990 AWD STAGE 1.0 TRANSMISSION $800

double synchro 2nd gear

welded center diff

Torrington bearing upgrade

shot peened gears

22 spline output shaft

no core required

fits 89-90

Got a bit of intrest locally on some transmissions might take one up, not sure yet. Still waiting for a dry day to pull the trans and count my splines.

now that the site is fast i can update /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

trans is out pulled it apart and it looks like just 1st 2nd and 3rd synchros need to be replaced, i went ahead and got an oem kit from mitsubishi through our shop (still cost out the @SS) and it should all be together tuesday. I just need a clutch and pp, id like to do a light flywheel but we get oem parts so cheap i figure brand new oem will be fine.

also doing the carrier bearing, valve cover, and DP gasket, front rotors and pads, and front axles. Have intrest to trade for a modded talon (what i really want) so ill get the car together and drive it up north see how it goes.

Well more stuff going on, transmission is 23 spline, had to send it out to get built due to the differential at one point ate its own washer and chewed everything to hell, also had some unusual wear on the gearset ends probably due to the failed bearings...

950$ later and i got the trans back fully rebuilt with a used differential, also got the RRE flywheel, ACT 2100 and unsprung street disk, new axles, and front brakes all slapped back together today.

She goes for her maiden voyage friday ill be sure to get some pictures up.

Just keeping this updated for the record;

Runs and drives GREAT! the rear carrier bushing or bearing is causing a slight vibration on deceleration.

Also had a scare with the front brakes, brand new Smoking. Someone overfilled the brake fluid resovoir /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Easy fix, Motor has no noise aside from some from the injectors! Sounds and runs great even the sunroof works one out of three times!

With the open air filter, bcs plug removed, and some mods to the MAF, she hauls butt!

The maf restrictor screw i unscrewed all the way im sure this leans it out a touch, but i think its also causing my low/rough idle issue.

Now time for some regirstration and ill have a fun lil beater car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

sunroof works 100% as of today and some lithium grease /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

transmission is still a rebuilt warrantied, giant piece of crap.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned