The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2g dp and 1g catback

cyhm

Hey guys, I've had a hell of a time finding any info out about the typical 2g downpipe and 1g catback setup for the GVR4. I was wondering if any modification needs to be done to the exhaust for this setup to work. I am aware that the downpipe may have clearance issues with the tcase or swaybar and that the typical 1g muffler angle can be a little too sharp for a GVR4 bumper, but can't find anything about further modification required. I don't care what it looks like as long as it functions properly and doesn't drag on the ground. Thanks in advance for any advice.

frank1

I think the 1g exhaust is short her than the galant

cyhm

Yes it is. That is the purpose for running the 2g downpipe, which deletes the cat section, making it several inches longer than a 1g downpipe. I have been led to believe that this is a typical setup by several sources, but noone seems to know what exactly is entailed in making it work lol.

tektic

I used a press bent 3" awd tel cat back I had lying around. All hangers were cut off and the pipe was lined up to where it cleared the rear drive and suspension. Then I weld on new hangers.

Its going to be hard to find two piece from different cars that line up perfectly.

cyhm

I'm surprised that being so widely spoken as being a typical setup, there isn't more info about it. Maybe I was just led to believe this by other people's speculations. I think I will attempt putting it all on and I'll run the dp open if I have to for a while if it doesn't fit well. Since there is relatively no solid info about this (just rumors I suppose), I will share my findings later on.

ktmrider

^^ Good God, reason for so few responses is that this is asked a couple times per year.

Search first then open your wallet for a CMPE system that actually fits the GVR4.

dsmless

Truthfully bro, just dont even bother with this and if you can just have someplace or a friend weld you a exhaust for your car, its much easier. Now if you already have the 2g downpipe and the 1g dsm exhaust you can cut and reclock/add a section of piping to the system to get it were you want, you can use exhaust clamps/couplers to secure the peices together until you can weld them. Either way you have to take it on/off a couple times to adjust and weld it.

KiNgMaRtY

I installed a Megan 3" 2g GSX downpipe on 611 back when I owned it and it did not align perfectly to the 2.5 cabtback that was there which was mated to the stock downpipe. I went to a muffler shop and just had the resonator removed from the catback and had it flanged with a longer piece of 3" piping to replace some of the 2.5 piping.

When I had the 1G GSX, former HKS promo car, I removed the small HKS DP and replaced it with a Punishment 3" 2G GSX DP. I did the same thing as they did not mate, when to the muffler shop and had a piece of 3" piping flanged and fitted to the HKS exhaust to mate to my downpipe.

I prefer getting the 2g DP's because you get more pipe for your money and it deletes the cat. All the hangers fit in the stock locations.

For 802 I just had RRE build me a full no restrictions Stealth Turbo back exhaust because I had a Evo 3 o2 and didn't want to go through the hassle of cutting a flange and then rewelding it and so on

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned