The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1078/2000 - My Wifes Auto VR-4

transparentdsm

thanks brian. yeah i was trying to figure out how to make the car look stock in the sense of it being a 5 speed, yet still unique and different. im really happy with the suede and how it looks and that not many people have a suede shift boot except for 138... haha

transparentdsm

so i just did the timing on it. boy was that bad, the belt was floating on the gears and the cam gears were dead on, but the crank was off by 3 or 4 teeth. put a new belt, pullies and tensioner on it and he runs like Steve Prefontaine now. while i was on that side i saw a torn cv boot so i dug up an old driver side axle and changed that while i was in there. got a new boost gauge and freshly rebuilt 14b turbo and decided to clean up my intercooler piping and paint some of it. i was able to cut 9 inches of extra piping out of my intercooler pipe setup and it looks so much better and fits a lot better now as well. i also re-aligned the intercooler and now it sits straight.

DynastyLCD

good progress brother! it looks nicer every time you do more work and take more pics!

transparentdsm

thanks phil, im trying to make it look and run as good as i can before the wife starts driving it a lot. just need to change out all the fluids, do the rear end main seal, put the suspension and tires i have for it on it and then it can be driven regularly. and thank you for the valve cover and the turbo phil. helped make the car run better. it idles so much better now with the new belt.

Last edited:

matt92vr4

Did you make the 3-gauge pod thing? I tired to buy one with either 1 or 2 holes but couldn't find any. I ended up making one but I'm not 100% happy with it.

Where in the world did you find 9 extra inches to remove??!

transparentdsm

the pod was in the car when i bought it, it is a homemade one though. rather simple. its a piece of plastic with 3 holes cut out, then it was glued to the bezel and 3 autometer gauge holders were also glued to the back so they all sit in the same direction and cannot move.

as for the piping, the original piping on the hot side had 4 inches to much piping, the first pipe going back toward the engine was 2 inches to long and almost touching the alternator and then the pipe coming up from there was actually touching the power steering pump and started to bend after the pump, so i cut that down 2 inches. it also allowed for me to angle the pipe different and get better access to the dipstick and alternator. then the cold side piping was 5 inches to long, it was pushing the intercooler out real far. i cut 2 from the bottom and 3 from the top.

transparentdsm

i really am happy with this car. i swapped out the old suspension for a little higher and less stiff riding and while i was doing that i changed out the rims for 5 spoke 2g's. i drove it to the post office today and on the way home i found an awesome structure to take pictures by. so i guess this is 1078's first photo shoot or whatever.

a little family love.. i think this is unbelievable i have 3 VR4's and as of right now all 3 are running and driving and i couldn't be happier!

What are the rpm,s at 70 on the interstate I am in the middle of a auto swap just wont to see how interstate friendly it is going to be.

transparentdsm

so 3 days ago i added a boost controller, changed out the CAS gasket, tightened up some hose clamps, turned the boost up to 18 psi with no knock and its pulling really hard. im really happy with it. i need to change out the tranfercase fluid, the front seal on the transfer case and rebuild the driveshaft. plan on doing this in the next 2 weeks and ill change the oil out while im at it. then the car can be driven regularly and enjoyed for a while. we might just drive this across country and 138 depending on how things go with that and if we can find places to crash and check up on the cars along the way.

GSX_TC

Quoting transparentdsm:

a little family love.. i think this is unbelievable i have 3 VR4's and as of right now all 3 are running and driving and i couldn't be happier!

[

You are soo lucky! I can't wait to say that about my cars too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

transparentdsm

thanks guys, its really starting to come along. i cant wait till its every day drivable, also thinking of changing out the exhaust on it. its a little underpowered with the current exhaust and i feel like it could use some breathing room, plus i want to add a cat and res to try and get some of the drone noise out with a nice oval twin tip muffler on the end.

transparentdsm

well since my last post in may the car has driven across country, had 10k + miles put on it, had a bunch of fun beaten out of it and driven daily the timing belt tensioner exploded. we were out in town and everything was fine, we get out get some food and head back to the car. i turn the car on and hear what i thought was a squeaky power steering belt, so i figure NBD ill just check it when i get home, 5 miles away. well the car made it right to the driveway when the tensioner gave out. had to push it in the carport. i took everything apart, crossed my fingers and put a new tensioner on. pulled out the compression tester and started at cly.4 - results were 100-75-50-0. now i need to pull the head apart and do new valves, or just get a rebuild head that i know is 100% good. its going to cost a little over 500$ to have 1078 running again so the car might take the back burner for a month or so.

DynastyLCD

Sorry to hear buddy. I'm glad this didn't happen while going cross country though. If you need any parts you know I've got you. And if you need funds PM me I forgot about the cables that I need

transparentdsm

ok so after a long process of getting my sh*t together, 1078 is now back up and running. drives great, sounds great and idles perfect.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned