Last time I was at the track, one of the fan blades on my SPAL fan snapped off. So, threw on a replacement. Now rocking Dual 13" SPAL fans. They work awesome.
Last month at East Coast MOD, I got to meet up again with Sal desant78
at his shop following the meet. He and his friend Phil run Side Street Motorsports
, a custom car and fabrication shop. 1837 has been in need of a legit intercooler piping setup for some time now, and the guys at Side Street Motorsports agreed to take on the job. So, last Sunday I drove to car 2 hours to Sal's shop in NJ, and spent the day hanging out while he and Phil custom made a boss ass short route aluminum piping setup for 1837.
So, rolled in and found Sal's 995/1000 JSB in typical GVR-4 fashion. Sal's currently in the process of some major overhauls on the car.
After a few sausage & egg McMuffin's, we got down to business, and started tearing stuff apart.
I'm currently on an aftermarket Evo 8 core. In order to configure the core for a short route piping setup, I needed to have the driver side end tank modified to relocate the outlet. The fabricator, Phil, made short work of modifications by welding up the old outlet and replacing it with a new one.
Next, they mocked up the cold side pipes, starting with the lower intercooler outlet pipe.
Then, they fabbed up the upper intercooler pipe and BOV flange.
Here's the entire cold side.
Next came the hot side. My biggest concern was the J-pipe. On nearly every J-pipe I've seen, they are always built like shit. The ones that aren't necked down ridiculously small always compromise clearance near the exhaust manifold. I needed plenty of clearance with my FP manifold, and additionally, I'm running a manifold blanket which required even more clearance. I also always hated how most J-pipes have a coupler positioned right over the manifold. I expressed my concerns/desires of the J-pipe design to Sal and Phil, and they delivered a piece that far exceeded my expectations.
They started mocking up the hot side on my car.
Then Sal mocked it up after it was welded together on his long block, which shows the routing and clearance.
And here are a few shots off the car.
Here's the entire setup: 3 pipes, 4 couplers (90* TB coupler not pictured), and the intercooler. This truly turned out awesome!
Lastly, the final product.
The best part of the whole process was I got to be in the shop the entire time Sal and Phil were working on the car to give them my input (not that they even needed it). They were open to my ideas, and were willing to hear me out and do the job like I
wanted it done. I'd highly recommend the services at Side Street Motorsports, and I couldn't be happier with how everything turned out.
I was in awe of how much of a performance increase I saw with the new piping setup. I'm seeing significantly reduced spool times, and the car feels much quicker. I will do some logging and make some comparisons against old logs. Suffice it to say, this was a long needed, and an extremely beneficial upgrade.
Lastly, BIG thanks to Sal and Phil! I had a blast hanging out, and enjoyed checking out some of the other cool projects they were working on around the shop. They had stuff ranging from a turbo H6 swapped STI to a LS2 swapped 350Z; all of which can be found on their FB page.