Meet 431 s little brother – 584/1000 !! 584 arrived at our door step on February 23rd of this year, however it wasn’t until the end of March beginning of May that the work on the car began.
The decision to build another VR4 was made toward the end of last year when our local ¼ mile track closed. Initially there was a plan to build either a rear wheel drive car with a 4g63 or perhaps even a full on rail race car- over the winter. Plans changed once word got out that the local track closed. Another factor that contributed to building another VR4 was the amount of parts we had left over from 431’s build and the affordability of VR4 shells.
When 584 was advertised here in the for sale section – Kensington Gray shell with Zero rust!! I knew I had found the perfect platform.The car arrived and had minimal dings and absolutly no rust. So the build began – keep in mind that 90% of the parts were off 431’s initial build and from used parts bought from members here. Basically the car is put together with left over unwanted parts.
The thought behind the build was to utilize leftover parts to create an awesome street car that we can perhaps take to auto X or road coarse events and the occasional car show.
It’s a 2.0 liter 9:1 compression Ross piston, eagle rod, stock crank with a mildly ported head - HKS 272/264 combo. The short block was bought from Cory (member here) with two broken transmission mounting ears at a very cheap price. We welded the ears back on and replaced the crank bearings and checked all clearances. The head was something Nate had laying around from one of his part outs.
The Transmission, Transfer case, 4 bolt rear, axles and driveshaft were all from 431 – the parts were just lying around since 431 went auto. Clutch is a used act 2600 also donated by Nate .
The turbo is an FP3052 which was in the initial setup that 431 had . With this turbo 431 ran an [email protected] on stock internal motor and keydiver chip. In my opinion this is one of the best street / spool turbos for the 4g63 platform.
Ceramic pads installed with cross-drilled/slotted rotors all around and flexible stainless brake lines
The suspension is leftover parts from 431 - ground control coilovers with KYB GR2 struts all around.
Rims were bought from guy on ECM link they are Drag brand – and we wrapped them in 235/40zr17 rubber.
Fuel System/ Engine management :
Mainly left over parts from 431 – 1650cc injectors – fuel lab stainless fuel filter, -8 lines, aeromotive fuel pressure regulator. Fuel pump is a wally 4xx bought from Jordan (member here) . Car is setup to run on E85. Computer has ECM link V3 installed (bought used from member on ECM link board)
ABS Delete, AWS Delete. Power Steering Delete using a short ratio manual rack from a base model eclipse. The shell did not come with A/C components – so we installed all the A/C parts that were taken off 431 (Ice cold A/C). Interior was removed cleaned and reinstalled. Windows were re-tinted as well.
Where to begin!!!! – I love the Kensington gray body color, however dislike that the color lacks the metallic luster of todays gray colors. Where is the metal flake?? So we hit the mixing system and added metallic to the Kensington Gray color. The new color code is Kensington gray metallic pearl. Even though the cars base color is still Kensington gray – this now turned into a “color change “!!
First, all the body panels and stationary glass were removed. The lower body panels, mirrors, bumpers, spoiler were painted off the car. I can’t believe how many panels this car has !! Then we removed the hood,doors,trunk did all bodywork on the car and painted all the jambs, underside of trunk, hood and lower half of the doors. During the priming process we laid down a guide coat and flat wet sanded the primer by hand to remove all imperfections. Because this is a highly metallic color we reinstalled all the body panels and foam masked all the jambs. This allows for even metallic distribution from panel to panel during painting. Had we opted to pain the doors off the car the metallic may not have flowed correctly from panel to panel. The car was painted with the Dupont Croma system and carries 5 coats of clear. The paint was wet sanded and buffed. Then we reassembled the car… I will just let the pictures tell the story.
The body work turned into a labor of love !!
The JDM body panels were originally bought for 431 – However I like the look of the usdm parts on 431 - so the parts went onto 584!!
This is the second VR4 we repainted/restored in the last few years 431 being the first - After working on this car for 4 months – I’m tired and need a new hobby !!!
I need to thank a few people that helped me get this car built !! Nate Crisman, Henry Estremera, Pat Mione, and my wife and my two little boys for putting up with my crazy car hobby!!