The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

431 has a little brother 584/1000

Gizmovr4

Meet 431 s little brother – 584/1000 !! 584 arrived at our door step on February 23rd of this year, however it wasn’t until the end of March beginning of May that the work on the car began.

The decision to build another VR4 was made toward the end of last year when our local ¼ mile track closed. Initially there was a plan to build either a rear wheel drive car with a 4g63 or perhaps even a full on rail race car- over the winter. Plans changed once word got out that the local track closed. Another factor that contributed to building another VR4 was the amount of parts we had left over from 431’s build and the affordability of VR4 shells.

When 584 was advertised here in the for sale section – Kensington Gray shell with Zero rust!! I knew I had found the perfect platform.The car arrived and had minimal dings and absolutly no rust. So the build began – keep in mind that 90% of the parts were off 431’s initial build and from used parts bought from members here. Basically the car is put together with left over unwanted parts.

The thought behind the build was to utilize leftover parts to create an awesome street car that we can perhaps take to auto X or road coarse events and the occasional car show.

The Motor:
It’s a 2.0 liter 9:1 compression Ross piston, eagle rod, stock crank with a mildly ported head - HKS 272/264 combo. The short block was bought from Cory (member here) with two broken transmission mounting ears at a very cheap price. We welded the ears back on and replaced the crank bearings and checked all clearances. The head was something Nate had laying around from one of his part outs.
Driveline:
The Transmission, Transfer case, 4 bolt rear, axles and driveshaft were all from 431 – the parts were just lying around since 431 went auto. Clutch is a used act 2600 also donated by Nate .

Turbo:
The turbo is an FP3052 which was in the initial setup that 431 had . With this turbo 431 ran an 11.3@121 on stock internal motor and keydiver chip. In my opinion this is one of the best street / spool turbos for the 4g63 platform.

Suspension/brakes:
Ceramic pads installed with cross-drilled/slotted rotors all around and flexible stainless brake lines
The suspension is leftover parts from 431 - ground control coilovers with KYB GR2 struts all around.
Rims were bought from guy on ECM link they are Drag brand – and we wrapped them in 235/40zr17 rubber.
Fuel System/ Engine management :
Mainly left over parts from 431 – 1650cc injectors – fuel lab stainless fuel filter, -8 lines, aeromotive fuel pressure regulator. Fuel pump is a wally 4xx bought from Jordan (member here) . Car is setup to run on E85. Computer has ECM link V3 installed (bought used from member on ECM link board)

Other mods:
ABS Delete, AWS Delete. Power Steering Delete using a short ratio manual rack from a base model eclipse. The shell did not come with A/C components – so we installed all the A/C parts that were taken off 431 (Ice cold A/C). Interior was removed cleaned and reinstalled. Windows were re-tinted as well.

Body:
Where to begin!!!! – I love the Kensington gray body color, however dislike that the color lacks the metallic luster of todays gray colors. Where is the metal flake?? So we hit the mixing system and added metallic to the Kensington Gray color. The new color code is Kensington gray metallic pearl. Even though the cars base color is still Kensington gray – this now turned into a “color change “!!

First, all the body panels and stationary glass were removed. The lower body panels, mirrors, bumpers, spoiler were painted off the car. I can’t believe how many panels this car has !! Then we removed the hood,doors,trunk did all bodywork on the car and painted all the jambs, underside of trunk, hood and lower half of the doors. During the priming process we laid down a guide coat and flat wet sanded the primer by hand to remove all imperfections. Because this is a highly metallic color we reinstalled all the body panels and foam masked all the jambs. This allows for even metallic distribution from panel to panel during painting. Had we opted to pain the doors off the car the metallic may not have flowed correctly from panel to panel. The car was painted with the Dupont Croma system and carries 5 coats of clear. The paint was wet sanded and buffed. Then we reassembled the car… I will just let the pictures tell the story.

The body work turned into a labor of love !!

The JDM body panels were originally bought for 431 – However I like the look of the usdm parts on 431 - so the parts went onto 584!!

This is the second VR4 we repainted/restored in the last few years 431 being the first - After working on this car for 4 months – I’m tired and need a new hobby !!!
I need to thank a few people that helped me get this car built !! Nate Crisman, Henry Estremera, Pat Mione, and my wife and my two little boys for putting up with my crazy car hobby!!

img.php

Last edited:

Gizmovr4

I will post some better pictures of the car now that its completed - the last picture was when it rolled out of the bodyshop... still had no mirrors installed in that picture - since then interior has been installed, suspension modified, new rims and tires.

Nate and I also took the car to VTR dyno yesterday - Drove car to and from Dyno - car made 556AWHP at 30PSI - not bad for a street car !! Nate will post video and recap on dyno night ... Stay tuned for Photo shoot with both 431 and 584 !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

dustyduff

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif Glad to see these nice cars popping up in NJ. You definitely took care of business getting that thing back on the road. Looks nice, can't wait to see better pictures.

You and Nate should come down to Mitsubishi Owners Day this year. You drive the white beast and have Nate drive this one down. We had like 6 or 7 VR4s last year and it would be awesome to have our own section this year.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Nice color.

Garage_Defeat

Great work, Nelson! It is so awesome to see that you saved another Galant instead of just parting it out and sending it to the scrapyard. Apparently, you have the sickness too and have a supportive family whom enables your addiction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Mike V, you and myself ought to organize a Galant VR-4 paddock at the Shootout. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

-Dan

Last edited:

Gizmovr4

Quoting dustyduff:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif Glad to see these nice cars popping up in NJ. You definitely took care of business getting that thing back on the road. Looks nice, can't wait to see better pictures.

You and Nate should come down to Mitsubishi Owners Day this year. You drive the white beast and have Nate drive this one down. We had like 6 or 7 VR4s last year and it would be awesome to have our own section this year.

When and where is the event held? Would be fun to meet some more GVR4 owners!

DynastyLCD

Way to go Nelson! those are some awesome numbers on the 3052! the car looks great!

needs more engine bay shots /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EMX5636

I think those 70 series tires are going to be a little tall for the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Car looks great man, awesome HP numbers too! I'm a little jealous because there aren't any convenient places to get E85 here.

Last edited:

JSchleim18

Beautiful car Nelson /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

I call dibs when it goes up for sale lol

MellowVR4

UGH i cant wait to paint my vr4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif Nice job man she's a beaut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gizmovr4

Quoting JSchleim18:
Beautiful car Nelson /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

I call dibs when it goes up for sale lol

Nate and I went to the Mcdonalds you like tuesday - we were both wondering if you still came on here lol ...

Car will be on Long Island till Friday - Give me a call if you want to check it out !!
You know everything has a price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GSX_TC

Quoting Garage_Defeat:

Mike V, you and myself ought to organize a Galant VR-4 paddock at the Shootout. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

-Dan

Dan,
I Already had that planned /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm bringing cones and signs that say parking reserved for Galant VR4's. There should be a slew of GVR4's this year and I can't wait. I had this planned for that saturday though so it would be hard to do this on Friday at buschur's due to limited space but your welcome to help me that day if you want? Also at some point at the end of the day the idea of all of us taking a cruise and eating dinner was thrown around as well.

Last edited:

Gizmovr4

Quoting EMX5636:
I think those 70 series tires are going to be a little tall for the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Car looks great man, awesome HP numbers too! I'm a little jealous because there aren't any convenient places to get E85 here.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif car has 235/40zr17's on it now - those rims/tires were only on the car during bodywork. E85 isnt as easy to find as one would think on Long Island - Nate and I drove around for nearly 45 min yesterday to find a gas station that wasnt out of the stuff and actually carried it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

dustyduff

Quoting gizmovr4:
When and where is the event held? Would be fun to meet some more GVR4 owners!

October 5, 2013
9AM - 1PM
Campbell's Field
401 N. Deleware Ave
Camden, NJ 08102

Here's a shot of all of us from last year:

8098768658_1d3d40c612_c.jpg

I know its a bit of a drive since you're located in North Jersey, but hopefully Phil (DynastyLCD) will be making the trip this year too.

DynastyLCD

I'm only going if I can park where out of eyesight... My gvr4 is a hoopty and a half bahahah

Nelson, do you have logs of the dyno session?

Last edited:

Gizmovr4

^^ very Nice !! I will check with my wife see what if anything we have going on October 5th - would love to attend though ! and Phil owes me a drink anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Gizmovr4

Few more pictures of the almost completed car - still want to put a cop on it and clean up a few things - cell phone pictures don't do this paint job justice ... I will have Nate take some hi resolution pictures in the sunlight where the metallics can stand out in the paint !!

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Car is freakin gorgeous in that color man, is that an R32 Skyline wing on it?

MellowVR4

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Gizmovr4

Mike, yes thats an R32 rear wing. I wanted to de-crome as much of the car as I could - just go with the black and gray look, thus black intercooler and dual tip black vibrant muffler (sleeper look)I still have a few things to do on it - however I think it came out great. I have to give 431 some love now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts