The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Making a top mount intercooler and have a plumbing question.

rdomeck

I am making a top mounted intercooler and am trying to figure out if the outlet pipe of the turbo (big16G) should stay at the 1 3/8" id. all the way to the inter cooler or should I step it up to the 2 1/2" that I plan to use for the exit into the manifold. Total length between the turbo and intercooler will be about 8" and the length between the intercooler and the manifold will be about 4"

I will get some photo's uploaded tomorrow of the intercooler sitting in the car. I plan to do an inlet in the hood that will look similar to the 4th gen Evo's.

Terry Posten

If it was my setup and I had room, I would flair it up to 2" as smooth as possible. Then you can do 2.5" from the core to the TB.

rdomeck

Terry, Thanks for the input. Do you think I could use a hose adapter or should I take the time to machine a funnel to the correct taper?

Terry Posten

I would use a silicone reducer but that is only because I have no machine skills or tools.

But a cone would be best.

curtis

I had a 3 to 2.5 on mine at one time. One Sunday evening I decided to cut and taper the cone and do it properly. After I got it all done, the car lost 2 to 3 psi so a reducer is a big restriction. But yes go to 2 or 2.250 on the hot and then up to 2.5 on the cold side.

But why a top mount are you going to box it in later and make a water to air. water has a 4 times greater latient heat of evaporation than air to air. So it is worth it especially on a core as large as what you have you could get close to ambient with no problem.

Barnes

I'm really confused why you would do a top mount setup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

GSX_TC

I'm sure it'll be cool. Very unique

ktmrider

Not the greatest way to do an IC.

Scoobaru originally used the TM option to prevent damage on WRC cars if/when front-end impacts happened. Later they found it heat-soaked too much unless using special coatings or plastics.

Requires using a well sealing hoodscoop plus an undertray setup to generate a low pressure condition in the engine bay. Otherwise air will not flow thru the TM which could even impact the radiator.

GL with the project tho!

mistaVR4

Quoting GSX_TC:
I'm sure it'll be cool. Very unique

Ok man, you have contributed, but when people call you a troll, they are correct...Try making more contributions to the site, rather than just posting your opinion on every post you can find?

EDIT: also, please work on your grammer, that seems to be very important on this site, you missed a period on the quote listed above....

Last edited:

broxma

I don't mean to be causing a ruckus, but that looks like a radiator core. Besides that, how do you plan on getting enough airflow across the core to actually cool the charge? Even with a larger style STI hood scoop, the math barely supports cooling of the standard STI TMIC, which looks to be about half the size of the core you are using. I am down for being creative and trying new things, but this seems like a step backwards, especially given the space constraints of the 4G63 under the hood. Where do you plan on mounting this thing? I assume it will be sitting somewhere in the area to the passenger side of the motor which means a custom offset hoodscoop yes?

/brox

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting ktmrider:
Not the greatest way to do an IC.

Scoobaru originally used the TM option to prevent damage on WRC cars if/when front-end impacts happened. Later they found it heat-soaked too much unless using special coatings or plastics.

Requires using a well sealing hoodscoop plus an undertray setup to generate a low pressure condition in the engine bay. Otherwise air will not flow thru the TM which could even impact the radiator.

GL with the project tho!

Good post, Mike, (especially the part in bold)!

beaner

SteveW, if he is a troll, you are a shitty grammar cop.

Quoting mistaVR4:
also, please work on your grammer, that seems to be very important on this site, you missed a period on the quote listed above....

Grammar is spelled with an A.
You incorrectly use 2 comma splices.
Your run-on sentence was ended with an incorrect ellipsis.

I won't even bother with the top half of your equally contributing post.

CutlassJim

I want to troll!

PM sent!

HAHA!

I agree with all the tech associated with this thread included the fact that topmounts suck. Yes I said fact. They are very hard to get to work properly and work meh when they do. I'm also curious as to how you set this thing up.

Oh and that isn't a radiator core just a super cheap intercooler core. They are on Ebay all the time. Would be better as a water to air core.

rdomeck

Opinions......Wow there are lots of opinions! The cooler is not a cheap one off of Ebay. It is one that I used to put on the 3.3 turbo Porsche's back when I was a Porsche mechanic. They actually work very well.

I like the idea of a top mounted intercooler and they can be made to work well with a little duct work. I have put two of these into use on a GT-1 Porsche. I would use one for the street cars pushing well into the 450 H.P. range!

If I don't end up being able to make it work I'll flip it around and use it at the front. Safety is a big concern of mine as this will be my daily driver that I put my 3 year old twins in and I don't like the idea of cutting up the front bumper to gain performance!

Thanks for the input and the helpful input. If you guys are interested I'll post some pictures of my plan soon.

belize1334

I appreciate that you're going a different route with your setup. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Lonewolf64

If you don't want to cut into your bumper but still want performance you should look into a water to air IC.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting broxma:
I don't mean to be causing a ruckus, but that looks like a radiator core. Besides that, how do you plan on getting enough airflow across the core to actually cool the charge? Even with a larger style STI hood scoop, the math barely supports cooling of the standard STI TMIC, which looks to be about half the size of the core you are using. I am down for being creative and trying new things, but this seems like a step backwards, especially given the space constraints of the 4G63 under the hood. Where do you plan on mounting this thing? I assume it will be sitting somewhere in the area to the passenger side of the motor which means a custom offset hoodscoop yes?

/brox

It's a tube/fin core.

belize1334

C'mon people. He came in here asking for simple advice on pipe tapering and diameter and you all start spouting off about how his underlying design is flawed. Stay on topic and stop nay-saying just because somebody is going against the conventional wisdom. If nobody ever stepped outside the box we'd all be driving Ford 5.0 Mustangs.

turbowop

Quoting rdomeck:
Safety is a big concern of mine as this will be my daily driver that I put my 3 year old twins in and I don't like the idea of cutting up the front bumper to gain performance!

In a wreck bad enough to hurt occupants, I really don't think the USDM front bumper will help to protect you any more than one that is hacked or even a JDM unit.

Interesting project, I like that you've thought outside the box. People are mentioning the downsides to a top mount but forgetting to mention the plus sides, one is the very short tract from turbo to throttle body. The Mitsubishi RVR (Sportwagon or something like that in the US) has a factory top mount on the 4g63. I've seen a few top mount set-ups on porches, NSXs as well as some cars that weren't produced as turbos (maybe due to frontal space). The race cars I've seen have often been enclosed with polycarbonate sheet with a couple of 3" ducts forcing air in.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts