The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Making a top mount intercooler and have a plumbing question.

rdomeck

I did this on a Supra about 10 or 12 years ago and did not see any better times. It wasn't put onto a dyno so I can't say for sure, but I suspect it was the loss in horsepower from the A/C compressor being on!

KT

You could put a WOT A/C cut out on it, so at anything less than WOT, you'd be cooling the IC.

I like the simplicity of it; short routing and just a couple fittings. It also retains a more stock appearance, FWIW.

Hope your hand heals quickly!

KT

a2vr4

Although there is a lot of factual information in all of this, it saddens me that a group of odd rare car enthusiasts would have so much negativity for someone trying something different. I understand that y'all may be trying to help him make more power, or not do something "that has been proven" to be less effective etc, but really why not focus on answering the questions he asked? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I have tried a few different odd ic set-ups myself, starting with a turbo probe ic as a front mount with the intention of minimizing the length of charge piping... did I gain power? Probably not, but I was happy to be different and making something work on the non-existent budget I was working with at the time. Regardless, kudos for trying something different, and thanks for reminding me of one of my very first favorite cars LINK which has a similar ic set-up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif With that said, I wish I had more to add to the real topic, but maybe the diamante set-up (running just under 500hp...) can help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif **steps down from soapbox**
~Brian A. Moreno

rdomeck

Brian, Thanks for the positive input. I will be pursuing the top mount in a 3-4 of weeks. I have had a hard time working with one hand so I will be catching up on work and then going on vacation at the end of the month and will get back on this towards the end of september. I will provide some REAL data on temperature difference in and out as well as pressure differences when I get this set-up running. I find it interesting that no one has chimed in with there temperature and pressure reading's......

rdomeck

So....I'm back on this project. I even heard it make a few noises Friday and have some checking to do to make the thing idle correctly, but I'm close. I have installed temp. sensor's before and after so I can see if I have done any good or not. I'm running speed density so I had to install one anyway and I plan on using the one after the core all the time, but my lead is long enough to plug it in before the core to log what temps I have before the cooler.

If this works I'm thinking of doing a bump in the hood and ducting air out the top and back of the hood.

Anyone running SD that can share what temps they are running after the intercooler?

rdomeck

I have been driving the car, but I'm having a ring seal problem......Back apart to install a better set of rings. Then tuning and lots and lots of driving!

FlyingEagle

Staff member
C50 series CSM
Right angle crash, 50 KMH, met a 95 Buick Regal.
Full US/CAN bumper support intact unlike my current car with bumper mods for the Starion intercooler.
No windshield damage or any twisting past the firewall, doors opened fine.
This is a side angle front corner impact, maybe somebody has pics of another front end collision, but straight line? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
The C50 is not that much different from the Galant in terms of engineering, frame rails being a bit weaker on the Colt of course.
I must say that I am a big fan of front bumper support/frame rail connectors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hope you get those rings solved, and permanently.

Last edited:

gramkrakr89

Quoting rdomeck:
I have been driving the car, but I'm having a ring seal problem......Back apart to install a better set of rings. Then tuning and lots and lots of driving!

very clean! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned