The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cold start fuel flooding/plug fouling

Problem: The car has trouble starting up on a cold start. she will crank and crank. it seems to help get her started when i do short starter bursts. once she shows interest i feather the air peddle. hot starts are not a problem. huge puff of white smoke seen on start up and clears up after minutes.

the car:
1991 vr4 bone stock.
450cc stock injectors
16g (havent confirmed if its big yet)
ECU is rebuilt by i believe ebay user: motoguys_garage. which i have tired it with my talon and this rebuild does a much better job(i was seeing rich conditions with the talon ecu). the talon stock ecu floods it even more =\ which doesnt make sense to me unless my talon ecu needs a rebuild but i dont have cold start issues on the talon...
not much to say, its stock.

items recently fixed/replaced:
fix idle surge (big win for me) used: terry's talon trouble shooting which worked out very, very well. (do everything /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif then fixed!)
replaced valve cover gasket (i didnt know some people use rocks or as hard as, to seal the valve cover)

chit i checked:
vacuum lines, cleaned and changed all TB sensors (checked and calibrated as needed) and gaskets, ECU is good.
i have changed to a whole other known working set of plugs and wires, same result.
coolant temp sensor has been checked with MMCD to confirm it isnt -59c. which i tested with a known bad sensor - it passed as expected bad of -59c while the other temp sensor reads 10-15c (it is currently 59c where i live at this time of day), cold and in sothern cal 92335. its not very hot here.
CAS has been changed to a "thought" to be good. MMCD reports warmed up advance of 0-1% @ 840-990RPM (this is after a CAS change and i didnt time it)

my thoughts on the problem:
the gas in the car is ~1 year old. before you start screaming like banishes, the fuel does burn without issue while running. however, i will refuel in a few days but i really doubt the problem will go away.

i hope i didnt miss anything, im off to bed. thanks galantvr4.com!

Hertz

Staff member
What does MMCd say your fuel trims are?

Age of fuel filter?

Any check engine codes?

EDIT: i am still trying to export the mmcd file... its taking awhile to export. i kinda kicked it across the driveway while getting out of the car while i was logging. however, i have the start-up data and it can be found here i will update the rest should the export from the palm complete, or i will retest once the car get cold again. only changes made at this point was i dumped in 5.6gal of 91octain into the gas tank. i am not sure if the car has eaten up all the old gas in the lines yet.

no engine codes, the fuel filter >35k so it probably should be changed soon. i will get some fuel trim logs up soon. i am also going to change the injectors to some gray tops for testing.

i know the injectors are: blue = 450cc, yellow = 550cc but i am not sure what these gray tops are. i pulled them from a automatic motor with a very small TD03/04 turbo? i do know they are low ohm's and should give me a good test to see if my injectors are in fact a problem.

i am also going to drain the gas tank.

thanks again everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

spent some free time on the galant today. i pulled the fuel rail, adjustable FPR and the RC 550cc's off my talon and dropped it into the galant. it started right up (after fuel priming, few extra cranks).

so it could be 1 or 2 of 2 things...? the injectors are bad and/or the FPR was bad. i am siding with the injectors. what are your thoughts?

i am off to bed and will try another cold start before i leave for work to confirm. thank you guys for the help and information.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned