The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

cowl induction

VR_IV_MR

is there a reason why muscle cars seem to use cowl induction hoods and cars like ours use vents and such?

i think a 3" cowl on our cars would look pretty tough lol can anyone photoshop that?

Its mainly a drag-car thing;. I belive it has to do with airflow cooling. The air coming from the ground through the engine bay is caught up in the over-hood turbulence and pulled out. Thats the half-assed explenation I got. Wrong or right, I dont know.

I thought it was to help the under hood temps stay cooler, By allowing the air to pass through the engine bay.Instead of just keeping the hot air in there like a HOT BOX.. LOL

prove_it

Pretty much like that. Imports have vents and such because there is more design and technoolgy under the hood. Cowls are an older technology that was made before electronics were big. Even newer muscle cars don't need cowls. Having a cowl on our cars wouldn't do very much and would mostly be for looks.

Also in muscle cars isn't the air filter and carb up at the top of the engine? So the cowl would keep intake temps a bit cooler. But doesn't induction mean it's funneling the air into the intake like a ram air or something? The cowl I'm thinking of is like a reverse vent up by the windshield.

Rausch

Cowl indiction is just what it sounds like. The idea is to draw the intake charge from a high pressure area, where the hood meets the glass. The idea is that the high pressure zone created by the glass/hood/shape of the car (One of the highest drag points on a car, next to the frontal area) feeds the intake with higher pressure air. Not positive pressure mind you, but since the air is trying to go somewhere, drawing it into the engine is a bit easier.

Crappy explaination, but hopefully you get the idea.

Real popular with the late 80's early 90's mustang guys, among others. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fivestardsm

Here, now you can look fast.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

click

chucklesas

There was a girl on here that everyone used to leg-hump that was into 3000GT VR4s, I think her or her boyfriend had a Galant VR4 that they were building a cowl style hood for. There might be pictures of it somewhere on here.

steve

Yep, GirlyVR4 (Emily) was doing that. I thought it looked pretty good, strictly from an aesthetics standpoint.

boostedinaz

Quoting Rausch:
Cowl indiction is just what it sounds like. The idea is to draw the intake charge from a high pressure area, where the hood meets the glass. The idea is that the high pressure zone created by the glass/hood/shape of the car (One of the highest drag points on a car, next to the frontal area) feeds the intake with higher pressure air. Not positive pressure mind you, but since the air is trying to go somewhere, drawing it into the engine is a bit easier.

Crappy explaination, but hopefully you get the idea.

Real popular with the late 80's early 90's mustang guys, among others. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Correct. One big missconception is that a cowl hood is to get air out of the engien bay. It isn't, it is to feed cool air to the engine because it is in a high pressure area. An easy way to see this is to tape a small piece of string to the cowl and see what it does while you are cruising. Spoiler... it will get pushed under the hood not toward the windsheild.

The vents in the EVO hoods and our JDM hoods are to exract heat from the engien bay. They are in a low pressure are and thus let heat our instead of force air in.

As for why new cars don't have them it because new cars don't come with carb on top of the motor. Most new cars have intakes at the front of the engine bay or have tube going to the frotn of an engine bay. Vents are there to allow cold air in because the front is also a high pressure zone, just like the lower windshield is. In reality it isn't just a muscle car thing, or have anythign to do with electronics, or an other wives tales, the engineers just moved the source of cool high pressure air from one place to another.

JNR

fwiw, "cowl induction" is a chevy term, much like "ram air" is a pontiac term. But, like coke, it's become a generic word(s)...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned