The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Shift linkage end help ASAP

SmoothCustomer

I went to install a metal shifter bearing kit, and as I was trying to press in the new bearing, it went crooked on me and is now jammed pretty good. It looks like my only option is to put a screwdriver on the bearing and tap it with a hammer until it pops out, the problem is that I don't really have enough room to get the screwdriver and hammer in there, so I was wondering if anyone knows an easy way to remove the end of the linkage (if it is even possible) or just get this bearing out. Thanks

Which end of the linkage? There are "metal bushings/bearings" at each end that can be installed. I would suggest using a socket to press it out to avoid tearing the bearing seals.

SmoothCustomer

It actually doesnt matter if I break the bearing (it is the tranny side by the way) because I tried to get it out with a screwdriver and destroyed it. It isnt a big deal because I have extras, but I might try the socket to get the surface area

SmoothCustomer

Yeah I was tryin the clamp, but somehow it started going in sideways and just jammed up on me. The company I bought them from actually just uses rollerblade/skateboard bushings, and you need to sand the end a little bit to get it to fit, but apparently I didnt sand it enough...I think I can get it out I just dont have room to work

edit: or time

Last edited:

SmoothCustomer

Alright, got it out...now I don't want to make the same mistake again so I'm hoping someone who has done this can help me, I know I need to sand the linkage end, but I don't know how much I need to do it. The problem before was that I hadn't sanded it enough, but I thought "well, I know I need to press it in so it must just be difficult" So my question is how much force should I have to use on the c clamp to put in the new bearing?
Thanks

ktmrider

Did mine 6 months ago, one of them "walked" the same way.
I moved the c-clamp center to the high point on the insert and cranked it til the bearing popped into place. No apparent damage as the inner race still rotated smoothly.
BTW they made a HUGE difference on my shifter, eliminated the sloppy and notchy feeling. The original rubber bushings were both worn thru the metal inserts and ovaled.

pachood_1953

Arent they just rollerblade bearings? If so, I have dozens and dozens of them laying around from my younger days..

I havent ever had one in my hand, but I think they are just that..Thats what they look like anyways, and they are about the right size, just from eyeballing it.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arent they just rollerblade bearings?

Yup they are,that's what I used on my car.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmoothCustomer

Quoting pachood_1953:
Arent they just rollerblade bearings? If so, I have dozens and dozens of them laying around from my younger days..

I havent ever had one in my hand, but I think they are just that..Thats what they look like anyways, and they are about the right size, just from eyeballing it.

yeah, but they are just the tiniest bit to big so you have to sand the inside a bit

GVR4_1057

Anyone else that have done the cable bearing "upgrade" and have your front/back stroke bind and actually return to the center position as soon as you let go of the shifter?I adjusted my lever a bit (It was probably bent somewhat)and it works better but still feels tight on the back stroke.I think it is b/c the shift cable and the rotation of the shift lever on the trans are not exactly on the same plane binding it up at the extremes of travel. I did however find a spherical bearing in the proper dimensions Mcmaster part 2995K32(22x8x12 wide)that looks like it will be perfect. I have a couple coming in. I will post my results.

GVR4_1057

I got my spherical shift bearings in today. It made a huge improvement over the 608 skateboard bearing upgrade. It is only necessary on the forward and backward cable as this one was prone to bind from my experience. This is the solution to binding shifter bearings.

+1 those are nice!

after searching i found this site click

is com-m8 the same as m8t?

Last edited by a moderator:

GVR4_1057

Quoting GVR4_1057:
I did however find a spherical bearing in the proper dimensions Mcmaster part # 2995K32 that looks like it will be perfect.

This is where I got them. They are like $22.00 each. You really only need one per car.
McMaster

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned