The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Speedometer problem

galantrevolution

I have a problem with my speedometer it reads 5mph more than actual speed , already replace the gear at the trans, what could be the problem ?

clevr4

Running stock wheels?

fuel

Couldn't help but notice you have an 'RS swap' - does that mean you're running the 3.909 rear diff and matching transmission?

fuel

what's your trans code? if it's from an October 1989 RS with the W5M33 transmission, it's going to be expecting a 3.909 rear diff ratio.. if you have a KM225/C50/C51 trans then you have the earlier 3.545 trans.

holeshotmoe

It will wear your VC out pronto if it turns out the rear ratio is incompatible with the trans. 89Patches has the 3.909 gears if you need them... LINK

galantrevolution

Here the transmission code Kw5m332npxv
Rb7291 so is this a JDM trans and what differential to I need to match that transmission

fuel

That's not a JDM RS transmission - that's a 1G DSM AWD trans which would match your stock 3.545 rear end. I think the DSM runs taller tyres stock than the GVR-4 so maybe that's where your inaccuracy comes from.

thomcasey

A DSM transmission is set to run with tires that are just over 1/2" taller than the stock GVR4 ratio. So, you will have speedo issues unless you run a ratio that equals the 1g DSM standard of 205/55r16, or a 631.5mm tall tire.

fuel

Or you could swap in the GVR-4 speedo drive unit

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned