The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

plugged in ecu with ignition on.

yeti

So I was in a giant rush yesterday and hopped in my car without disconnecting the battery (I've kicked myself in the ass 1000 times trust me) and I had the key turned to the on position , (once again kick my own ass)

As I plug in the third smaller ecu plug it sparked , I'm guessing cause that's where the ignition and ecu power pins are.

My main thoughts were that I blew my ecu(which I may have 2 resistors have spark arcs to the board it looks like directly under the third plug) but I was thinking today I may have just blown a ecu fuse /fuses my reason being

When I turn the key to the on position most of my dash lights don't work and the check engine light didn't turn on. So......any help is greatly appreciated. My car is registered and insured I just parked it in the same place for ,over 72 hours and I got a parking ticket I was only with the car for 10 mins last night and will do more testing tonight.

So. Please any help is appreciated

tektic

no cel ecu no work...

Open her up and look for a brake in the ground trace on the board. Look for any obvious blackening or brakes.

Ive dis and re connected my ecu with the ignition on before.

yeti

There's definite blackening on two of the resistors, what was the spark caused from? Could my ecu fuse be blown?

Should I attempt to replace these resistors?

tektic

first clean the trace around the burn spots so its bare copper. Then test for continuity.

to fix a broken trace solder a small piece of wire over the broken spot.

You should have checked the mpi fuse and all the rest for that matter.

yeti

Clean as in with alcohol?

And by soldering wire onto the trace you mean physically a wire or just a piece of solder?

tektic

If the trace has a point where it is broken ... Fix it. If the resistor doesn't produce the resistance its suposed to... Replace it.

Edit: there's a lacquer or waxy coating over the whole board. It needs to be removed in the area in which your working, and or testing. Alcohol and somthing abrasive will make quick work of it.

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

I'd just buy/borrow a spare ECU and throw it in the car until you can figure out what's wrong with your original one. Replacing resistors and doing work on the ECU's board isn't something many people do themselves, much less do hastily with no real knowledge of what their doing. Not insulting your intelligence, but if the ECU took a hit, I think the chances are pretty slim that you are going to be able to diagnose or fix it with any advice you will get here. Especially since nobody here can actually see or test the ECU. When the clock is ticking, go with what you know works. Get another ECU.

ktmrider

Quoting yeti:
So I was in a giant rush yesterday and hopped in my car without disconnecting the battery (I've kicked myself in the ass 1000 times trust me) and I had the key turned to the on position , (once again kick my own ass)

I'm still trying to digest this sentence. Why you disconnect battery in the first place?!?

tektic

I just shut off ignition. Its not wired directly to the battery. Mpi relay is there.

Jesus_Negros

My boy Yeti!

James

Never a dull moment

ktmrider

Quoting yeti:
I thought you were supposed to disconnect battery before touching ecu?

OK I'll ask in another way, why were you disconnecting the battery to mess with the ECU? Your statements indicate a battery drain issue or do you have other issues?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned