The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

92 gvr4 #554/1000 checking in!

Dopeem1

Hey guys, new to the board, but i know my way around a fourm lol.

Here's the deal. I got a great deal on my new galant and its got issues.

I will post a video tomorrow of exactly whats going on but ill post it to see if anyone has any ideas.

1. It has 95 eprom ecu which i think is most t problems from what i have read. It misses heavy before boost. All wiring is stock otherwise.
2. It has a vafc2. Never used one, just hondata. Is this decent for a tune?
3. Idel surging pretty bad.

Now i literally picked this car up an hour before this post so i have not had time to dig in.
Please let me know whatcha think!

turbowop

Are you sure it's a '95 ecu? I mean, I've heard of guys converting over to Evo ecu's and such, but haven't really heard of anybody using a 2g ecu. And do you mean 'S'AFC? Depending on the rest of the setup, it can work, but certainly not ideal. If you use injectors bigger than 550cc, it's pretty worthless. I would pretty much only use one if I had 550's and a 2gMaf. Even then, there are better options.

Dopeem1

It says its a 95 eprom on the case im assuming its that ecu. It has stock injectors and a stock maf. And yes its a "s"afc lol. Sorry

turbowop

At worst, stalling. At best, makes your turbo work harder to maintain set boost levels, which heats up the compressed air more and reduces power. And a bunch of other stuff you don't really want in between.

Dopeem1

Ok so boost leaks are fixed. Switched the setting to a karman mas and now the car runs like absolute crap.

Just leave your email for the video of the car as my phone is gay.

Also im confident it has 272 cams now as when it not surging it idles exactly like it has 272s

Also the maff wiring is shot i think. Anyone have a spare connector and about 6-8" of the wires lol!

Last edited:

89Patches

I just did some searching on your car from previous post about it. Stock rebuild from what I found, so no cams.
trust me you would know right away if you had 272's

Dopeem1

Im am confident it does have 272s, the idle sure is intermittent and when its not surging and at about 8-900 its 272s it almost wants to fall on its face then cathces back up.

Did alot of work to it today got the afc fixed. Soldered in the mas wires that were not even connected. Got the afc all setup buy the vfaq link of the gvr4 install. I do have a question though, the sensor 2 option for o2 voltage, it says to connect the blue afc wire to the white/orange strip wire. That wire seems tied into 2 other green wires at the ecu. Im assuming this is all o2 wiring? If i need to take a pic i can

Plans from now are new knock sensor, new stock o2, new idle speed control.

The check engine lite is on and im haveinh difficulties finding my tiny leads, i purchased the buzzer also suggested from vfaq.

Also on the rebuild part. Car has a jdm 7bolt swap no longer the 6 bolt. Ill have the valve cover off soon when i do plugs, is there a way to distinguish the 272s for sure when i do?

Dopeem1

Also sorted out some other wiring issues, car runs MUCH MUCH better but is still missing up top due to what i think is my knock sensor pulling timing(as it doesnt work). Spent most the day toying with the afc also to get familair with it. Simple lil thing now that ive tried it.

Soon as the wideband get here, i should have most the issues sloved.

Also going to be installing a much more efficent front mount setup.

Last edited:

Brunoboy

Don't even use a safc..... Better check your ecu, only way to use a 2g ecu is by having a patch harness or rerunning your wiring harness. Not a good sign if you ask me. If you can find a build thread here about you car, it'll help you figure out what's true and not. Cams? Pull the valve cover to check. Don't assume based on idle and what you've heard.

Brunoboy

You may have to check your timing also, timing can be off and cause you to think you have cams. This isn't a Honda, don't treat it like one.

Dopeem1

Timing was set profesionally before i purchased it.

It needs a knock sensor as the is not one even plugged in. Ill be getting under it tomorrow to take a look and replacing the knock sensor and the isc.

I checked the codes with my fancy homeade code checker:
8B8A5C31-3FA5-42C7-A9E7-F3565FA4BFF1-4434-0000040D678993C2_zps0f31ec92.jpg

And it came back with. 12, 13,14,21,25,31

Mas is new. All coolant sensors are new and where is a barometric pressure sensor on there?

Also the afc is showing the mas reading and throttle reading perfect so why would thoes codes be on? The afc will just have to get my buy untill i can afford dsmlink.

Last edited:

Dopeem1

Also ran the part number on the ecu and its either the stock gvr4 or a 1g ecu so thats solved. The junkyard wrote the wrong year on the case!

Brunoboy

Stock galant vr4 ecu is an EPROM ecu, look it up. Baro is inside the MAS. You may have a bad MAS. Get rid of the safc. You don't have any mods and no way of logging anything so be done with it. Get yourself a 2g maf, Evo 560cc injectors and a chip for an EPROM ecu and it'll be fine for awhile.

Dopeem1

Ok got a new knock sensor on the car, zero codes after the reset. Still has a idle surge but i played with the biss and its sort-of idles now. I do believe i need a isc.

Now that i am work(lots of free time) here is some pics!!!

42EBDC2B-51D0-43C2-AFBD-5FB499F78669-4434-000004D14AD0D4E5_zpsadb34a13.jpg

AD553EA0-E714-4920-8B2F-B7AAAEBB8DB2-4434-000004D17A3A5047_zps91788c5a.jpg

331B9D48-9BE1-43D6-8412-BDF8571E829B-4434-000004D16E531F75_zpsdc377f52.jpg

74B6203F-3ABE-4829-B082-DD8CB5D37AB9-4434-000004D137D818FD_zpsb757a2f1.jpg

F55D4E9F-0938-4FCC-B154-1774F55D4D03-4434-000004D1814B2B15_zpsb2fdd9e5.jpg

Is this color the kensington grey? Obviously lots of work is ahead of me but im in love woth this car for some reason. Any positive input is appreciated!!!

Dopeem1

Oh ok, just figured the black would have been more... Well, black haha! I do love that gumetal color to it though!

JCorbo25

Idle could be coming from a couple things on your throttle body:
BOOST LEAK TEST
check your ISC (voltometer test) from VFAQ
Remove those hoses on the top of the throttle body and use plugs instead
If you are having cold idle issues, but they go away when warm, you can check your FIAV or get a partial block off (check ebay).
If your EGR was disconnected, get a block off plate (check ebay).

I'd recommend getting a pocket logger/blu-tooth logger or just dropping the money on DSMLink/ECMLink (~$500 used, including ECU).

Last edited:

Dopeem1

Will be replacing the isc tomorrow. I did a search and it has a md166262 ecu wich is the stock eprom from the car, so that nice. Passed a boost leak test even with the billion couplers and intercooler pipes. Will post updates as we go!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned