The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alternator Removal

sy1100

Is there an easy way to remove/replace the alternator?? I was looking at it and it seems there is a lot to remove to get to it. Also is there a "upgrade" to the stock alt aside from the saturn one?? If there is let me know would like a higher amp one than stock and is a direct replacement..

transparentdsm

they make 90 amp and 110 amp alts for these cars and no there is no easy way, you have to remove the intercooler pipe and the PS pump to get it out.

so how is the car treating you?

sy1100

So Im guessing to go from the bottom of the car to get to it?? Where can I source the 110amp at?? The car has been a rock, I put some love into the interior over the spring and have some parts piling up to replace/upgrade/update. Aside from an oil leack that I havent tracked down she's been great..

James

Move the PS pump out of the way (it moves plenty far enough) and move your IC piping. As long as you don't have Boulders for hands you should be able to get it out easily. Took me about 15mins.

Terry Posten

No, there is not enough room to drop it out the bottom.

Best way is to remove the upper IC pipe, unbolt the power steering pump and lay it over above the ABS pump, unbolt the two upper radiator brackets and pick up the rad about an inch and slide it over to the passenger side as far as it will go. Then unbolt the alt and lift it up and out.

You do not have to drain the radiator, just lift it up off the lower pins and slide it over.

Have fun, the first time take a few hours to do, the next time will be about 45 minutes start to finish. (and there will be a next time).

sy1100

Great!! I do have boulders for hands, I guess i have to stock up on band-aids and peroxide.. LOL! Should be fun..

raptorWagon

As well as if you remove Powersteering permanently, next time it will only take you 20 minutes to remove and replace lol. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mitsuturbo

Subaru as well, apparently. I'm not sure how much a "direct fit" it is, though. Or what model.

Curtis did it.

raptorWagon

I have one of Curtis' Subaru alternators, they come out of the 90s legacy. I think I used a generic GM alternator bolt, because it was the right length as the stock one was too short.

sy1100

Just went with a stock replacement, since I saw what was mostly likely the cause of the failure in the first place. Seems that the oil leak at the filter housing is leaking and spraying oil all over the alt and everything else in that area. So I bought a pressure washer and got it all clean up, and now to try and see where it is leaking exactly. I'm thinking it the oil filter housing gasket needs to be replaced..

mitsuturbo

The stud is probably loose, and it's likely leaking behind the pancake (aka piece of sh*t) oil cooler.

sy1100

Ok so I got the alternator back in and now I can get the belt to tighten back up. I got a new and compare it to the old everything matches up but I cnt get it to tighten. What am I doing wrong??

raptorWagon

Does the tensioner bolt tighten all the way down and have you slid the tensioner bolt to one side of the tensioner bracket before tightening the bolt?

GVR41380

push down on the alternator be for you tighten that tension-er bolt, witch i beleave is a 12mm, then when you have the alternator be pushed down tighten that bolt, and i dont know if you want to do this or not but i but a nut on the other side of the tension-er bolt and tighten that one down, so your alternator wont move after you do that.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Oh boy, is this fun. My alternator decided to be a superstar and pump 19V, so today I pulled it out to replace. After struggling with the removal, I started the reinstallation. Of course, the retaining clip broke off the aged and brittle connector, so now retention of the plug will be a problem. Have to see about getting one of those tomorrow (fingers crossed local alt shop has one...).

Also, with the replacement in, I had to basically use all the adjustment to get the belt tight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Measured the pulley, and it is 3mm in diameter (!) smaller than the original. Wow, not even noticeable to me at a glance, but now I have to decide if I take it back out again to exchange the pulleys. Probably will since I need to fix the harness anyway.

Waste of an afternoon, that's for sure... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

G

Staff member
You buy cheap, you buy twice.

BpuVR4

Quoting iceman69510:
Oh boy, is this fun. My alternator decided to be a superstar and pump 19V, so today I pulled it out to replace. After struggling with the removal, I started the reinstallation. Of course, the retaining clip broke off the aged and brittle connector, so now retention of the plug will be a problem. Have to see about getting one of those tomorrow (fingers crossed local alt shop has one...).

Also, with the replacement in, I had to basically use all the adjustment to get the belt tight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Measured the pulley, and it is 3mm in diameter (!) smaller than the original. Wow, not even noticeable to me at a glance, but now I have to decide if I take it back out again to exchange the pulleys. Probably will since I need to fix the harness anyway.

Waste of an afternoon, that's for sure... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

makes me feel better about taking my alternator off thinking it was buzzing (when it turned out to be the abs motor)...had it off in 8 minutes...took over an hour to get it back on cause I couldn't get that one pin to go all the way through for some reason....on a dark snowy night.....felt like a total moron esp when I put it in a few weeks ago, total remove and install took maybe 40min.

H05TYL

Keep the stock heatsheild around the turbo/dump pipe (or make a new one) and you'll not need to replace the alternator so frequently.

I did 4 in 8 years before I figured this out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned