The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

big 16g spool time

im not building any boost untill 3500 rpms i still hit 15 psi but is the lag normal??

stealthtt24

You don't start building boost till 3500? Have you check for exhaust leaks and boost leaks?

think i found he problem missing 2 studs on the far right side of the manifold u no where i can get replacements??

stealthtt24

You can go to extremepsi.com, jnztuning.com, or streettunedmotorsports.com (my favorite). You might wanna try the seafoam trick first. I have a few exhaust studs missing on my manifold but I am not leaking from them. Read a little bit in this thread.

click

gvr4ever

Do you have the stock intake? Stock the car actually had some lag due to restrictive intake, IC and exhaust. Are you getting 16psi at 3500RPMs or does it take till 3500RPMs for the boost to really start to build up? I think the GVR4 first gear actually adds a little lag too.

yes stock intake pipe but all the rest is aftermarket into my fmic but it did the same with all the stock piping and it does it in every gear i see no boost untill 3500 rpm then she takes off like a rocket

gvr4ever

What exhaust manifold? Boost should build smoothly, not an on off switch.

Could be your boost controller.

Does boost fall off near reline? Big 16G should be able to hold boost up top better then the stock turbo. If it's falling off, you could have a boost leak.

SouthCaliVR4

what type of exhaust do you have? When I first put in the evo3 16g I couldn't build sh*t for boost. dropped the cat & still barely stock levels. When I put on the 3" exhaust man what a difference.

gvr4ever

I think you just answered your own question. Fix the exhaust leak...

Replace the missing exhaust manifold bolts too. If it's a stocker, they are known to crack and leak too.

Last edited:

turbofonz

Quoting gvr4ever:
Do you have the stock intake? Stock the car actually had some lag due to restrictive intake, IC and exhaust. Are you getting 16psi at 3500RPMs or does it take till 3500RPMs for the boost to really start to build up? I think the GVR4 first gear actually adds a little lag too.

Is this true about the stock intake? I assumed so but haven't tested it yet. my vr4 is on speed density but still has he factory rubber intake with no MAS and the car is way laggier than my 1g.

New intake is the plan once I relocate my battery; but I've never read that the intake is a restriction. just thought it was.

on an evo3 I'm getting 18ish psi ~ 3300 depending onthe gear

gvr4ever

It wasn't just the stock rubber intake. It was a combination of the stock intake, stock MAS, stock IC, stock exhaust that caused a slow spool up time. The rubber pipe doesn't really slow down spool up.

I guess I could have worded that better. Sorry for the confusion.

I've gone from stock to fun on my current Galant and a old Talon. On both cars, exhaust and IC upgrades really helped with spool up time. The talon was FWD and had a much shorter gear. With a almost useless 1st gear, IC and exhaust upgrades, the 14b had almost zero lag.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned