The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Tuning after FMIC install

VR_IV_MR

Hey my car has a base tune that was done by a reputable shop over a year ago. I just bought a used ETS FMIC kit and a 63MM NT Throttle Body. Is it safe to install this stuff and drive the car without tuning it? What if I lower the boost?

Will it be easy to compensate for these parts myself with Link? I was a bit overwhelmed by the whole tuning thing but maybe since it already has a base tune and I only have to compensate for the extra air, it would be simple enough to not have to pay someone?

Thanks guys

4thStroke

If you have Link, take advantage of it. The volumetric efficiency will change, the air charge will be cooler and thus, more dense. Watch your wideband! There is no way you will have an issue with timing, in fact, you could probably run more timing. A retune would be ideal, something you should be able to do yourself with some studying on the ECMLink website and their forum.

Good luck!

VR_IV_MR

Im pretty sure the last time I had it tuned they told me that my LC2 was burnt and they just used their own wbo2. I would have to replace that right?

What if I just installed the rebuilt 63mm NT TB for now? I know ideally it should be tuned for it, but I have minor idle issues that I was hoping to resolve with this. Also regarding the TB, throttlebodys.com says that I need to "In order to run this 63mm NT TB you'll need to have a stand alone ECU that's able to set the idle speed. " Is this as easy as it sounds?

4thStroke

Yes, use a new wideband sensor if yours is dead.

Tossing on the NT TB shouldn't change much, airflow wise.

I'm not sure what it takes to get the NT TB to idle, but the swap is not uncommon, I'm sure there is away around the standalone.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned