The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TUNING AFC??

well i have been working on ma galant trying to get it to run well and it has but now i just have questions on ma tuning wen i bought the car the guy told me he had tuned it at ams and made 298 whp and 301tq but it was all before he installed injectors fuel rails fuel pump.... he gave me an ecu with the car and i decided to go ahead and put it on but not sure wat that would do to the tuning the tuning was done on an afc neo by the way... he gave me a sheet of paper with like i guess the mods on the new ecu they are as follows...
keydriver
7500/6000 selectable stutterbox
default is 4500
a/c cut out
rescaled mas
640cc injectors/264us deadtime
knocksum gauge
fed/awd
2x karman
anti-stall code
44psi base fuel pressure
uppper image has 11:1 a/f and extended pumpgas maps
lower image has 11.5:1 a/f and race gas timing maps
e943 gr-4 no fuel cut
4250/4500/4750/5000/5250/5500/7800
stock 2g mas
enhanced closed-loop maps
shift ce light at 7000rpms
800 rpm idle
no airflow cap
rescaled trims
fixwd 2g iat mappk+ code
dual image

i have an idea wat all that means but if anyone could explain further wat i got that would great and do u think this would create problems with the afc since it was already tuned without the injectors and stuff?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Barnes

So you just listed the specs on your Keydiver ECU. What actual mods have you done to the car since the previous owner tuned it?

NOTHING THE CAR HAD SOME MODS ALREADY WEN I BOUGHT I JUST DO BASIC MAINTANANCE U KNOW HE TUNED THE CAR BEFORE HE PUT SOME OF THE MODS ON MOSTLY FUEL RELATED MY MODS ARE AS FOLLOWS THOUGH..
Rebuilt 10k miles ago
Bored .020
Nippon pistons
stock rings
stock rods
head fully cleaned out
new oil pump
new water pump
new radiator
new alternator
2gas mas / with custom cold/air ram intake
new EVO 3 manifold (with a pre-tap EGT)
2.25 intercooler piping all around
spearco front mount
Big 16g turbo
Walbro 255 high flow
rewired fuel pump
Earl's high flow fuel filter - 35 micron
6an fuel line feed
6an fuel line return
680cc PTE injectors
polished fuel rail
Apexi NEO AFC 3rd gen
Aeromotive fuel regulator w/fuel psi guage
AND THOSE ARE THE MODS THAT IT HAS NOW

Barnes

If he tuned it previously with the AFC, you should zero out the AFC with the new ECU installed. It looks like the keydiver ECU is setup exactly for the mods you have. So it should be tuned pretty close. You can fine tune later with the AFC and a wideband. You don't *have* to use a wideband, but it is HIGHLY recommended.

ok so i dont have to do anything with the afc?
cause the throttle feels kind of heavy...
and also have a datta logger with a cd that came with it but i cant open any of the files on it and i dont know how to plugg it in to ma car i have seen some galants with the datta logger installed on the car u think i shoul??

Barnes

If you are putting in the new Keydiver ECU, you need to change all the fuel correction values in the AFC to ZERO. Otherwise you will probably melt a piston.

Yes, you should hook up the datalogging software. NO, I have no idea what kind it is, so I don't see how I can help you.

Rausch

Quoting kingpsycho:
ok so i dont have to do anything with the afc?
cause the throttle feels kind of heavy...
and also have a datta logger with a cd that came with it but i cant open any of the files on it and i dont know how to plugg it in to ma car i have seen some galants with the datta logger installed on the car u think i shoul??

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif What?

The only way to tune the AFC properly is to get your logger working. Are you trying to log with a PDA or a laptop? Do you have the matching logger cable?
Have you raised the base fuel pressure to 44psi?

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah ma bad ma i dont know much but trying to learn everything i can but yeah i got the connection cables and stuff that comes with the logger and the and a cd that just says its the dattalogger software...
and how would i go bout changing it to 44psi or check if it is at 44psi just to make sure im doing the work properly u know

Last edited:

Do you plan on logging with a PDA or a laptop? Which? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
Does your car have a fuel pressure gauge under the hood? If so, start the engine, disconnect the vacuum line from the AFPR, and see if the gauge reads 44psi.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned