The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I can spin one wheel while it's off the ground???

mr.mitsu

Is this normal?

I jacked one corner up to remove the wheel. I noticed I was able to spin it freely. The other 3 were planted.

What does this mean?

I'm such an NOOB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

fuel

was the transmission in neutral? do you have an LSD both front and rear? Do you know how worn out your viscous center coupling is?

If you lifted one of the front corners to spin, seeing as you are unlikely to have a front LSD the drive would just get transferred back to the center diff in the gearbox which would have just directed the drive further upstream to the gearbox itself. There should have been some resistance as the other end is on the ground but if you have a worn out or non-existent viscous center diff coupling then it will act like an open diff.

The thing with our cars is that if you don't have a front or rear LSD diff all it takes is one wheel from each end to spin freely and then you lose all traction. If your center diff viscous coupling is worn out or non-existent then all it takes is ONE wheel to spin free and then you have no traction to the rest.

mr.mitsu

The car is in neutral /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't think I have a front LSD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I don't know the condition of the viscous /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

How do I check it?

There wasn't much resistance when turning

What should happen if I put it in gear and try the same "test"?

turbowop

Normal with open diffs. Put it in gear and the center viscous coupling will keep you from spinning it or make it very difficult at least.

mr.mitsu

I'm not sure if this is related, but my output shaft connecting to the transfer case has in/out play.

Would this support any of the above mentioned symptoms?

Aswell, there seems to be a leak on the pass. side axle seal

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned