The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

?Can I run 87/89 fuel

stealthtt24

I never get into boost or go wide open anymore cause I have yet to fix my boost leaks. Can I run 87/89 with no adverse affects? The car has a 50 trim and supporting mods including a chip.

mikus

Should be no adverse effects caused by the lower octane itself.

Bad fuel happens - the ECU retards timing to compensate against knock caused by sketchy fuel. It might not keep up with big boy turbos/mods, but if you're driving softly you'll be just fine.

Fix dem leaks

Let me get this straight. You bought a GVR4, put a 50 trim on it, plus supporting mods, yet won't fix boost leaks, and now you want to save a dollar or two per tankful by running sh*t gas?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

That equates to eating caviar as a mid day snack, but washing it down with RC cola because Coke is too expensive.

Just sayin...

stealthtt24

I did not put any mods on the car, I bought it that way. I am having a problem tracking down the boost leaks, as I did it a few months ago by myself and can hear it leaking but can't figure out from where. I don't beat on the car anyways as its my daily.

By the way I was just curious as I don't think I would actually do this.

Last edited:

Well in that case, yes you could. If you still have a mitsu air meter, with the boost leaks the car is going to have a tendency towards being rich anyway, which will assist in combating any knock related issues you may encounter with the lesser octane.

stealthtt24

Ok, its just frustrating as I have traced down boost leaks in my old 4g car and for some reason have a serious problem finding the ones on 1332. Trust me I want to fix them asap as the car idles from 1500 to 2000 daily.

Well put out a call to some local peeps, buy a 12 pack and have.a boost leak find 'n' fix party.

matt92vr4

same deal with mine except I beat the hell out of it all the time. We should get together and fix all the boost leaks sometime.

vtecds1

Detecting a boost leak is the most tedious thing about owning this car. Search around the net and make a list of the places were they are common and cross them out one by one when you perform the blt. Biggest leak i found was on the compressor housing. I never thought to look or spray soapy water there until i read somewhere on the net that some turbos dont have a seal.

IncorpoRatedX

I feel sorry for the next owner of your car.

MellowVR4

Really soapy water = BUBBLES = boost leaks detections. But yeah you do need atleast another person with u. it can be something very stupid lol.

MellowVR4

Well yeah lol, make a boost leak tester and soapy water. home depot performance lol.

stealthtt24

Sweet I love soup. I'm not even going to do this as the savings is just not worth it. My main problem is having a knowledgeable assistant with me. Hopefully I can find the stupid obvious leak.

The most common boost leaks that you will find are throttle shaft seals, the injector insulators (lower seals), pcv hose, and leaks at the piping couplers. But there are many other places too. Off of the top of my head:

Intake manifold gasket
throttle body gasket
throttle body elbow gasket
egr valve gasket
bad pcv valve
blow off valve
BOV gasket/seal
BISS o-ring
vacuum lines
cracked/broken I/C
compressor housing o-ring (or lack of)
J-pipe gasket

and I'm sure there is more.

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting stealthtt24:
Sweet I love soup. I'm not even going to do this as the savings is just not worth it. My main problem is having a knowledgeable assistant with me. Hopefully I can find the stupid obvious leak.

if you can't find a boost leak, you need to sell the car.

stealthtt24

Quoting galant1517:
The most common boost leaks that you will find are throttle shaft seals, the injector insulators (lower seals), pcv hose, and leaks at the piping couplers. But there are many other places too. Off of the top of my head:

Intake manifold gasket
throttle body gasket
throttle body elbow gasket
egr valve gasket
bad pcv valve
blow off valve
BOV gasket/seal
BISS o-ring
vacuum lines
cracked/broken I/C
compressor housing o-ring (or lack of)
J-pipe gasket

and I'm sure there is more.

Thanks for the list. I'm familiar with the obvious ones, which is why I am having a hard time tracking it down. While doing the test, the boost gauge doesn't move either. I can hear air escaping and when I have gone wide open it pulls nicely at 15 pounds.

I considered the compressor gasket as I had the same problem with my fp3065, I made a thread years ago and solved that problem with rtv. I'll try again this week and post up. Also unsure of the brand of 50 trim on the car.

stealthtt24

It's a slowboy g50, and I lied I started a thread on dsmtalk years ago.

click

And I just saw on that thread its a common problem with the g50s, yay.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned