The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GVR4_Milf

Many will remember the post about the 68k mile vr4 with badge number 247 from about a couple of days ago. I went down to see it on Sunday afternoon, and it drove alright. There were some points of concern for me like the rear diff makes a whirring noise (according to her husband, it's driveline slack; I think it needs new bearings). I also asked about the odometer, and they said it was original and it was 68k miles. That is the real reason why I went to look at the car, was the fact that it had low miles. Needless to say, I paid $5500 cash for it, and took the title home so I can register it and pick it up on Monday.

Here's the situation; I autocheck it, and it shows mile discrepancy from 1997. I get worried, I do some more research and found out that the car was sold on this forum 4 months prior. I email the previous owner.

crxgator Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 7:17 AM
To: @gmail.com
Just curious about your old car. I'm picking up the car, and in your ad it says 90k miles, but in the current owner's it says 68k miles. I ran a autocheck, and it says 68k miles too. Did your cluster say 90k when you sold it?

Matt Cavanaugh Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 7:51 AM
To: crxgator
Odometer was changed out at around 30k. Add that to the current odo reading. They received paperwork with the car stating this.

-matt

At this point, I'm freaking out about the whole ordeal. I call her a few hours later, tell her about the problem. She still lies stating that the car has 68k miles, and I nor the previous owner knows what we are talking about. It went into a conversation about how titles and actual miles correspond with each other and yadda yadda yadda.

Fast forward to today. I had to pick up the money from her husband's shop. When I get there, I get my refund minus $50. I ask where's the other $50. He states, "My wife told you, you weren't getting it due to the title." We had a heated argument over the fact that they lied about the mileage. He won't comment on it when I ask him about the miles; he sticks to whatever his wife says. I eventually, got the other $50 back after he realized I wasn't leaving without it.

Another thing that irked me after I thought about it was their selling story. They are selling the car now due to having twins. Well the twins were 4 months old when they purchased the car, so why all of a sudden the change?

Here is the ad that she put up; quoted in it's entirety.

Quoting Gvr4_milf:
1991 Galant VR4
68k original miles A/C works great
Four wheel steering works
16g, 95 manifold, 3" turbo back stainless exhaust, new 3" high flow cat
ACT street clutch, Fidanza Flywheel (low miles on both)
HKS 264 cams, large front mount intercooler (Spearco core), polished valve cover
Brakes have upgraded rotors and pads.
AGX/KYB struts, Ground Control Springs, strut tower brace
Apexi S-AFC, turbo timer, 550cc injectors, supra fuel pump, cold air intake (K&N filter), TMO Stage 3, 3g MAF, manual boost controller.
All done last month--Timing belt and water pump,4 wheel alignment, new battery, replaced gas tank, wiring harness cleaned up, strut tops changed, new end link, tune,new bushings, upgraded jbl speakers, replaced center diff and more I’m forgetting.
Two sets of rims. 17" rims pictured with brand new all season tires less than 400 miles on them. Stock white rims with Nokian all weather tires, only used during winters (85% plus tread left).

Hid set up for head and fogs. Good inspection. Power door locks power sunroof Everything works 100% Car is running 27lbs great power, a real pleasure to drive. Interior is like new, black leather is mint. Extremely clean, dependable great running car. Paint shines like new and rides like new.
Reason for sale- I have 8 month old twins. Not enough room for double stroller and high chairs. We are limited to 2 car parking in complex. We have an evo already and just purchased a Murano to replace the gvr4.
Email me at [email protected] or call 908 319 9666

Here is the ad by the previous seller.

click

In response to your comment and post to my ad,Your argument is that I lied about the miles plain in simple. The miles on the cluster say 68k. The title states actual mileage. The Title I received from previous owner states actual mileage. The carfax I had ran said nothing about true mile unknown. The speed sensor was replaced not the whole cluster. Yes I do have the paperwork from speed sensor replacement back from original owner 14 years ago. Matt did not buy from the original owner and his mom was on the title I communicated with her. She said he had not finished paying her for the car and the 4k was due to her. My father and husband picked the car up for me. I don't know why it is any of your business about why I want a larger vehicle for my twins and their ages and you seem as if you are making it out that there is something wrong with my car when it is 100% +. When and if you ever have 2 kids at once come back and tell me how much you can fit in it. As they get older the amount of items you need grow as well (2 pack and plays 2 highchairs 2 strollers and so on) I never had babies before I figured I would all fitI shouldn't have to explain my self. So to reply nicely to you- You said you loved the car and would stilI take it if i took off 500-750. I said absolutely not and told you to come get your money I believe that is why you are mad. You should have realize I had your money. You had a signed title.I even had you sign a printed sale paper AS-IS. You left the car in my garage because your friends ditched you and had no way to get car home, I could have told you to get lost. I was more than nice to you and said that is no problem if you do not want the car I will gladly give your money back. I returned and answered all your calls. I am not out to screw someone over. I love the car regardless if it has 68k or 91k.You will not find a nicer white vr4 under 8k. It was never in any accidents with all original paint and turn key car as a daily driver that will runs 12's with no breaking down or any issues. A tremendous amount of time and money has been put in to this car since i purchaed it to get it to where it is now also considering it has all been done correctly. There is nothing wrong with the rear in the car it needs NOTHING. If you are bothered by noise and louder cars these are not for you. It is not a civic like you are use to. I din't think It was right of you to go on here and post that I am A BAD guy nor bring my husband into it. Also you spelled all the names wrong and a new title is 60 dollars not 50.

Again, you lied about the mileage. You were made aware of it by the previous seller. I asked your husband about the mileage once again when I was at turbotrix and he wouldn't comment about it being truly 68k miles.

I'm not bothered by loud cars. However, the rear diff needs bearings. I don't only own civics. In fact, I've owned a fair share of wrxs with turbo upgrades and supporting mods, and an Integra Type R to name a few.

I really didn't want any money back to begin with, and am happy that you said no. It was a suggestion by my friends. I'm sorry that my friend couldn't come down with me because he was called into work (he's a police officer). In fact, it was good for me because I would have this car in my garage, and I would be pissed off that I got ripped off about a car with 30k more miles than advertised.

Again in regards to the title; every state is different. The person purchased the car in 2002 and his title may have said "odometer exempt" due to it being 10 years old (that's how it is in NY, any car 10 years or older will not have the mileage listed on the title). So in essence when you register the car in NJ, you can put whatever you want on your DMV registration form, and they will abide to what you tell them.

Once again you were made fully aware the car had 90k miles as seen in the previous owner's ad, which YOU COPIED AND PASTED the info into yours, but CHANGED the mileage in your ad. But, I guess that was your husband who mad the ad, just like who replied to this one because you dont use the computer.

You also told me you never talked to the previous owner before, it was your husband. Then our next conversation you said you emailed him and called him. You can't keep your story straight to begin with.

I do not want a car with a tainted history which includes odometer FRAUD that you are committing. Only reason why I looked at the car was due to it being low miles. Since the car had 100k, I could look at any number of them.

The whole title price, really isn't my problem. You can reuse the title by putting the other person's name on it and try it at DMV. If not, oh well, you signed the spot to begin with.

You obviously know nothing about bearings noises as it is not a rear diff bearing that is making noise but that is beside the point. You got your money back. I had the car and your money. I could have said just told you the car was yours and the deal was final. The title reads actual mileage, the title I got from the previous owner said acutal mileage. There is nothing on either title or carfax to state otherwise. Your basing this off some invoice for a replaced speed sensor(not the cluster) at 30k miles over 13 years ago. So pretty much what your saying is that any car over 10yrs old that has an out of state title does not have true mileage. That would mean that some of the sweet Hondas and Acuras that you have sold might not have had the real miles you thought....Maybe I should go register on Honda-tech and put up a post in the bad guy section.

steve

I think the facts have been presented from both sides, which is the point of this section. I don't want to see the back-and-forth continue endlessly, especially since the issue has been resolved with neither party being particularly satisfied. Other members who read this thread can make their own judgements regarding the integrity of both parties involved based on this information. Thanks.

91GVR4#479

I eventually bought the car and I think it's time to post an update on the situation. I don't have anything bad to say about the mileage or the representation of the mileage. The previous owner was very forthright in terms of that discussion. I do want to comment about the rear end. As soon as I got the car home, I asked my mechanic to drive it and listen. He came over to my house and the two of us were in the car on my street driving less than 20 miles an hour while we were trying to listen to the rear end. All the sudden, there was a loud bang and the car just seized up. I had to have it towed to his shop, and the bottom line is that the rear end “seized up”, taking with it the axles and the transmission. I know it sounds funny the transmission should be affected, but below is a direct copy of the note I received back then from my mechanic after he evaluated the situation.

"Hey Doc, I hope this makes it through to you.
The VR4 is going to need the rear end and axles, and a transmission assembly. The front differential, which is housed in the transmission case, blew apart. As far as I can tell there has been no damage to the transfer case, but we will need to disassemble and inspect it when the transmission is out to verify. And just a reminder that the rear driveshaft isolation mounts are dry rotted and disintegrating, but as this will not pose any drive ability issues at this time there is no need to replace. Chuck"

To make a long story short, I had to get a replacement rear end, axles, and transmission. Several people from the group were very helpful in terms of the parts and I'm very grateful as always to the members on this board who go out of their way to help others. The parts cost me $400 -$500, but since I can't do the work myself it cost me $800 in labor. There is no question in my mind that the rear end was bad, as the sound it was making all along strongly suggested that it was less than optimal.

I bought the car, in general it is in very good condition, and I did sign agreement that I was buying it “as is”, so I can't complain in that respect. I do have a bit of an issue with the advertisement that said as follows

"Everything works 100%"

When I got the car, the A pillar was a mess. One gauge was disconnected, the light didn't work on the other gauge, I wasn't aware that the front window washer had been completely removed and the rear defroster doesn't work. I wouldn't exactly call that as described “everything works 100%” It was/is particularly frustrating for me because I bought the car meaning for it to be a winter car, as I already have another VR4 that I use in the summer. Without a windshield washer and without a functional rear defroster, I absolutely cannot use the car in the winter in upstate New York. I assumed that these items were functional given the statement “everything works 100%”, but it is my own fault that I wasn't more diligent with the inspection before the sale.

I don't know that this note will add anything in particular one way or another, but I thought it was appropriate to add my input to this thread since I do have the follow-up on the rear end situation. I'm still not sure yet whether or or not I'm going to keep the car. It will probably cost me another $500 to make it suitable for winter use. I took it to the best glass shop in town, and they said there's actually nothing they can do about the rear window defroster other than replace the entire rear window. Replacing that glass plus relocating the battery to the trunk to allow space for the windshield washer bottle can be done, but once again since I can't do my own labor it gets expensive.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Thank for the update!

Sorry you found some additional issues with the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I think I have an extra washer bottle floating around, and it's yours, (you pay the postage)

Many times, the rear window defroster grids get damaged, but they are often times repairable (with considerable patience.) Maybe you could shoot a couple of pics, and start a thread on the subject and the board can help you get that issue sorted.

At any rate, hopefully you can #247 sorted out for winter use and it treats you well.

Thanks again for the update.

91GVR4#479

Thanks for the offer on the washer bottle, but I already have one. I don't want to go through the expense of relocating the battery to the trunk unless I get the rear defroster situation taken care of. The people at the glass place are honest and I've known them for years. When the rear tint was applied, apparently it was put on and taken off and there are defects all throughout it. According to them, it is not salvageable. They are also having trouble locating a rear windshield from their usual sources. I figure that if I could get the rear glass replaced for $300, I would probably do that.... but it may not be possible. The jury is still out in terms of whether or not I'm going to pursue this or just sell the car to someone as a summer driver only.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned