The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo valve spring question

vtecds1

I found a pretty good deal on Evo 8 stock valves/springs and retainers. My question is...are they all beehive(from what I hear) and how many miles should be on them for me to turn and walk away? I will be purchasing some cams(don't know which ones yet) for my winter make over and I just want to make sure I don't have any valve float.

Rausch

No different than any other spring. Yes, they are a beehive style spring:

I'd stay away from parts with a TON of miles on them, but otherwise they should be ok. You can always test them/have them tested to verify they are up to snuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Couple pics from my grimey basement for reference:

Evo Valves and springs in a 1g head. 1g Spring and retainer for comparison.

Last edited:

toybreaker

iconoclast
^^^

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/redx.gif

Rausch

Click 'em fool. The uploader and I aren't getting along apparently. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rausch

Oh, and P.S.: The intake valves are nothing special. The important ones are the exhaust valves. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

curtis

Oh my God Aaron is finally finishing development of the 5 valve per cylinder head.

vtecds1

Thank you sir...

You mentioned that I can test them...more info on this please. The seller said there is about 3k miles on them, but I take that with a grain of salt.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting Rausch:
Oh, and P.S.: The intake valves are nothing special. The important ones are the exhaust valves. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

True. The Evo intake valves are still the same part number as VR4/1g TEL/4G61T valves.

Rausch

Quoting vtecds1:
Thank you sir...

You mentioned that I can test them...more info on this please. The seller said there is about 3k miles on them, but I take that with a grain of salt.

Any decent machine shop should have a spring compressor/tester guy. You pop the spring in, compress it, and the indicator gives you a reading. Dig up the specs on the OEM springs, and take a couple to a machine shop, or someplace that sells them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif, and check them to see if any are 'saggy' or not up to spec.

You can measure the height of the spring to start, just get you set of calipers.

With the valve spring tester, the spring should rear a specific pressure at a specific compressed height.

As a point of reference the springs in the head pictured (evo springs) were 152# at 1.100". and something like 64# at 1.530".

vtecds1

I`m going to take a risk and buy them before someone does. The package deal is $40 which isn't too bad if i do take a loss. I`ll take it to a local shop to have it tested as soon as I get a chance. Thanks again for the info.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned