The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

'Horrible noise' says my mother. UPDATE with head off pics

Whoodoo

I'm less than 24 hours from getting back home and I get a piece of bad news from my mom. She was driving my car and all of a sudden the car made a 'horrible noise like metal hitting metal' and the engine stopped. I'm assuming its a timing belt failure because its got 140k on it. To top it all off, my girlfriend is coming home to visit for a week and I was hoping to be able to drive my car as its been over six months since I've been home and I miss her!

I don't have hardly any budget right now because I've been broke for the last few months and I don't have a job yet. I do have a few new factory belts because I was getting ready to do the T-belt job once I got home.

I know the easiest way to go about doing this is to get a used head and just swippity swap them, but I have essentially no money.

Is there anyone out there willing to give me a head/gaskets? If not, I guess 62 will be out of service until I can get everything I need to do this right, i.e. BS crap, tensioners, pulleys, harmonic balancers, valves, seals, gaskets, head work...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Last edited:

Diego

You know, I know these problems all to often, well bud your in luck out of the grace of me and loving our cars on the road, guess what.... I got a 4 layer oem cometic hg I will give you.... its brand new bought it from kryger bout a month and a half ago..... pm me your addy and its yours, just remember me when you get yourself back to good nature...

^Wow that was nice.

My mom was driving car and my passenger jdm fog end cover came loose. Any spares you have? You know because my mom did it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Diego

No one here will meet people like me, ask the seldom few here that actually are legit, how legit I am.

No I don't have a jdm bracket, but I do have tables filling up with parts, like a 20g,50 trim SBR,MAFTs,cyclone intake, ECUs(6) etc etc etc......

H05TYL

Quoting Diego:

No I don't have a jdm bracket, but I do have tables filling up with parts, like a 20g,50 trim SBR,MAFTs,cyclone intake, ECUs(6) etc etc etc......

Funny you should say that, my mum was driving my car and my 20g just fell off plus my eprom ecu somehow bounced out the window too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif j/k

But seriously, awesome to see someone willing to help another poor soul afflicted (well, lets be honest, it feels like it sometimes) with an incurable case of gvr4.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Diego

Quoting turbowop:
While preparing for the worst is a good idea, you might come home to find out it's just a separated crank pulley.

Could also be too low of case fluid and the xcase gave in..... but I don't want to throw bad luck out, and when you get your head off( if ya do) just pm me back and I'm sure it'll still be here for ya. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

moidsm1

Diego,

My FMIC was stolen when my mom was buying some milk for her Kittens, Im broke because I gave my money to a homeless guy. Have any spares. haha

Whatever you do dont try to start the car, Take off the top timing cover and see if the belt is loose, if not, check the crank pully. If the pulley looks good then take a 1/2 in drive ratchet to the crank bolt and see if the motor spins freely. If thats all good then start checking the drivetrain.

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

Quoting turbowop:
While preparing for the worst is a good idea, you might come home to find out it's just a separated crank pulley.

haha, kyle had that happen on the talon and the rubber piece in the middle actually came out the backside of the pulley and went in between the crank pulley and belt and caused it to skip 'enough' teeth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Diego

Sorry noob dude, my handout parts are for the people I have either looked up to, or gotten great advice,or have a common interest in......

Like Wooodoo (sc) he*s been here a while, read a lot of his post, taken som advice from him and more..... he's a broke kid like me chasing a dream...... my dream is almost done, then its off to try the Amateur WRC to finish my dreams which will come next year.

If your cool with me I'm the coolest friend you could have....

Justin Handa.... don't recall his sn here but I was willing to drive 2~3 hours to just give him a turbo and some body parts he needed....

I love these cars, and some, I mean some of these guys (plutonically) for the wisdom they hold, I'm 22 and gain more info here then any other site I frequent.... and will keep retaining the info I get everyday.

Whoodoo

Small update: got the timing cover off and the belt is still there and tight. There's a strip of timing belt about half an inch by four that has come off, so I'm not sure whether it skipped a tooth, or more likely there is an issue with the pulley. I'm gonna go out and get under the car for a few minutes to poke around while the girlfriend is taking a nap.

turbowop

Rotate the engine by hand with a ratchet on the crank pulley and make sure all the timing marks still line up. If not, you will know what happened.

Whoodoo

I just did that. I turned it a little less than a quarter turn and the two camshaft sprocket timing marks line up, but just after they do, the crankshaft wont turn anymore. I'm thinking that it skipped a tooth or two on the crankshaft pulley. From what I can see, I'll need to get the lower timing cover off in order to see the crankshaft pulley timing mark, but that requires getting the motor mount and accessory drive out of the there first. I don't have time right now because the girlfriend is in town, but as soon as I get a chance I'll be diving into this head first.

I guess not having a job has it's benefits. As of this moment, I'll be trying to do the following at the lowest cost possible:

1) timing belt job
2) balance shafts (either delete or replace bearings)
3) while I was down there I noticed a few CV boots up front that need replacing

curtis

Hopefully you didn't bend a valve but more than likely you did. I feel your pain, been there.

turbowop

You can tell how far off the crank is by the notch in the crank pulley. Look where it is in relation to the timing marks on the timing cover when the cam sprocket dowels are at 12 o'clock. It should be at roughly 0 degrees.

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting Diego:
You know, I know these problems all to often, well bud your in luck out of the grace of me and loving our cars on the road, guess what.... I got a 4 layer oem cometic hg I will give you.... its brand new bought it from kryger bout a month and a half ago..... pm me your addy and its yours, just remember me when you get yourself back to good nature...

Wow.

I'm impressed. PM me your address Diego, I'll send you that CV shaft for free, if you still need it.

SmoothCustomer

The only thing about that cometic though is it's mls correct? That means he will have to disassemble his entire engine to have the block and head decked. But if he's willing to do that more power to him. And I wish you would just delete those balance shafts because next time it could be you timing belt breaking. But Diego is a good guy. Those cometics aren't cheap to guys on this board.

Whoodoo

Thanks for all the advice so far. As of right now, I'm leaning more towards doing all stock mitsu gaskets. It's tough trying to get my head around everything that I need to get and where to get them and how much they'll cost.

I'm going to be doing a few things
new valves
timing belt
balance shafts
turbo is burning oil (i think)
front CV boots
driveshaft carrier bearings (maybe)

turbowop

Quoting SmoothCustomer:
The only thing about that cometic though is it's mls correct? That means he will have to disassemble his entire engine to have the block and head decked.

Meh. I never had the deck on my block decked before I threw on a Mitsu MLS headgasket. I had the head rebuilt which included it being decked, but the block was never touched other than me cleaning it off and checking the flatness with a straightedge. Been fine since '03.

Whoodoo

Quick update:

Its official... the balance shaft belt blew up and messed up the timing enough that I can't rotate the crank to line up all the timing marks. I got the front cover off this morning and pulled bits and pieces of the BS belt out of the main timing loop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Next step is to get the timing all lined up again and do a compression test to see how bad things are under the head.

Also, whole job is looking to be more expensive than I had anticipated. I think its because I am using this opportunity to do the balance shaft delete as well. So far, the bare minimum for getting her back on her feet is as follows:

1-replace valves and valve seals (maybe a complete head would be cheaper?)
2-Timing belt job (replacing idler and tensioner pulleys as well as hydraulic tensioner)
3-Balance shaft delete
4-ARP head studs (because I'll need new hardware anyways)
5-water pump
6-all four front CV boots

And here's the list of all the things I'd like to do while I have my hands dirty but might not have the funds to do so
7-I've been eating oil, so I might need a new(er) turbo
8-evo springs/retainers
9-3g lifters
10-oil pump and crankshaft seals
11-fluidampr harmonic balancer

Right now its looking to be almost a grand for just the bare minimums. JNZ has a mitsu complete gasket kit ($232), ARP head studs ($95), timing belt kit ($220), and water pump kit ($140), making a total of almost $700 already. I'll have to do some good hunting for getting the valves/head fixed looks like.

Oh and diego, I really appreciate your offer for the MLS gasket, but as I don't have any big horsepower plans, I think I'd rather stick with the OEM composite gasket. A million thanks, but I think I'll decline. Hopefully sometime in the near future I'll be able to help you out, or at least offer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts