The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

'Horrible noise' says my mother. UPDATE with head off pics

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I'd skip the ARP studs if you don't have high HP plans. 6 bolt head bolts are reusable. Buy an aftermarket water pump (like Partsdinosaur.com). You can also get some gaskets from them if you don't want to splurge on that factory hg kit (which comes with stuff you won't need...). I have used their head, intake and exhaust gaskets and they have worked fine.

Whoodoo

I had heard bad things about no OEM water pumps. Also the reason for getting the gasket kit is because it seems like there are tons of gaskets that will need replacing doing the head and BS removal that I figured it would be cheapest to get them all in a set, even if I dont use them all.

Does anyone have a list of all the gaskets that come in the OEM gasket kit that JNZ sells? I couldn't find a list on their website.

DSSA

The easiest way to answer this is to tell you what it DOESN'T come with.

Every gasket on the motor with the exception of:

-Throttle Body Gaskets (they expect you to leave the TB bolted to the manifold)
-Injector O-rings and seals
-Injector rail o-rings
-CAS O-ring

Everything else is there.

Whoodoo

Thanks. I called JNZ today and talked with Paul. He helped me price out getting just the gaskets I will need as opposed to the whole complete kit. It worked out to be about ten bucks cheaper, so I think I'll just go with the whole kit and have a few extras.

One thing that I am trying to find is the special tools. I know I can make the tensioner tool with my battery tie down and a die, but I need a valve spring compressor and would like to get a tensioner pulley tool as well. If I had a machine shop at my disposal I'd just make them, but lo, I have not. Is there anyone in the seattle area that wouldn't mind letting me borrow theirs?

Whoodoo

Can someone please tell me what's going on?

I tried to get the timing back in sync for a compression test, but in the process I found that my intake cam spun freely...

One valve cover removal later....

This one's roller failed. Most of the needles were sitting right with it, but at least one had flown around a bit.

These were some of the pieces of the balance shaft that I pulled from inside the timing cover.

So here's my latest theory on what happened:

The balance shaft belt failed causing the main timing belt to skip teeth on the crank sprocket, causing pistons to hit valves, causing the rockers to pop off and/or explode.

Also, what will I need to replace? rockers? cams? lifters?

Last edited:

Brunoboy

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting SmoothCustomer:
The only thing about that cometic though is it's mls correct? That means he will have to disassemble his entire engine to have the block and head decked.

Meh. I never had the deck on my block decked before I threw on a Mitsu MLS headgasket. I had the head rebuilt which included it being decked, but the block was never touched other than me cleaning it off and checking the flatness with a straightedge. Been fine since '03.

Same, i had my head rebuilt and cleaned up, nothing to the block and threw a mls on, 5k miles and 150 psi across all fours.

curtis

You got bent/broken valves. The pistons are probably trashed as well, the rockers will be fine as well as the keepers and retainers. The cams could be fubar but without looking at the lobes you want know. I know people reuse pistons after they hit but when the piston smacks the valves it can cause fractures in the pistons. I don't reuse them. Besides that while your in there new bearings as well. Sorry man know the feeling

Whoodoo

The cams have some slight scoring on some of the lobes. You can see pretty much the worst of it in this picture.

Whoodoo

I got the head off the car yesterday.

The pistons are all smashed up pretty good.

Cylinder walls still look good though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here's a better picture of the damage to the cams. This is the worst of it. What do you guys think, can I reuse them?

the stock manifold is broke real good too. Almost all of the studs broke and some weren't even tight because they had broke before we even tried to loosen them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif.

I'll be rebuilding the stock 14b because that's my cheapest option. Plus, I'm sure she wasn't performing quite up to par with all those exhaust leaks and I might be pleasantly surprised by a healthy 14b.

I'm still hunting down all the best deals on everything I need. I think the only machine work I will need is for the new valves, so let's hope I won't be emptying my pockets too much.

I think I had an oil leak somewhere because everything is super grody and dirty. I haven't found any one particular source, but it did go through oil fairly quickly. I am hoping it was just the valve seals.

Can I now be officially JSB?

Last edited:

My opinion:

Don't reuse the head bolts. Get some new (to you) cams that aren't scored like that. I'd drop the oil pan to clean out any bits and pieces that might have made it down there. Once it is back together, run it for a handful of miles and dump the oil. Flush the system so to speak.

Check the valve guides, chances are they are trashed and you'll need those replaced during the head rebuild.

SouthCaliVR4

A quick fyi on the balance shaft belt. you can just leave it off. you don't have to get in & remove it (the forward balance shaft that is). I have had two motors where the balance shaft belt gave way, one I caught before the main was toast, one took the head. your engine will feel a bit rougher with just the one but no more so than if you remove the rear shaft. at least that way you have gotten one engine killer out of the picture & down the road when you rebuild the bottom end (And you will at some point) you can remove the shafts altogether.

If you are getting a Fluidampr plan to add 20 dollars to your build budget for some arp bolts. Here.

Quote:
For mine, I ordered replacements from ARP. Their part number is 661-1004.
Specs are as follows: M8 x 1.25, UHL = 35mm, 8740 chrome moly, black oxide finish, hex head.

SouthCaliVR4

I just looked through your pics again, yea you can reuse the cams, just get a red 3m scrubbie pad & smooth em up a bit. Don't reuse the mani, esp if your going to put money in the turbo, when my 1g mani looked like that it was also dropping little chunks of the crystalized minifold through the turbo and had mangled my exhaust wheel, it's not worth it if you can't afford it now just put the hotside back as is & save up for a turbo & manifold down the road a bit.

Whoodoo

I bought a complete JDM (yea, I know JDM is phat and all but I swear I'm not a ricer) head with some cams so I squeezed a little bit of go into this repair.

I was planning on getting a rebuild kit for the 14b and finding a 2g manifold to hang it from.

Right now I'm waiting on parts to come in and cleaning off EVERYTHING. It went through oil pretty quickly but it never dripped, so I am assuming that its one or all of the following:
valve seals
turbo
small leaks around the valve cover
possibly the crank seal

All of these will be fixed so lets hope that quells her oil appetite.

Whoodoo

Then lets hope that isn't the case as the pistons are one of the few things I am not getting to this time around. The car only has 140k and the cylinders still have cross hatching and I'm almost positive the engine hasn't been apart ever because everything looked too 'factory' when I took it apart.

moidsm1

Ive reused three motors that had the pistons looking like that. What I do it knock down the rough edges with a small hammer. Remove any metal that looks like it can chip off. Its soft aluminum so dont go ape on it, just take your time and lightly tap down the ridges, it will go down without too much force trust me

Valve guides can also cause an engine to eat up oil... I think you said you were replacing those already though.....

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned