The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

'Horrible noise' says my mother. UPDATE with head off pics

Quoting moidsm1:
Ive reused three motors that had the pistons looking like that. What I do it knock down the rough edges with a small hammer. Remove any metal that looks like it can chip off. Its soft aluminum so dont go ape on it, just take your time and lightly tap down the ridges, it will go down without too much force trust me

I've dealt with this too (on customers and my own GGSX) I use a bit of emery cloth to smooth out any rough or sharp edges. They can cause pre-ignition. As long as there are no cracks in the piston(s) you can put it back together with fresh valves and seals usually. But if the engine is old and worn, this is a good time for a rebuild. Oh and ARP head studs are only a little more than new stock bolts, well worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned