The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

JDM vs. USDM bumpers

onesickcrx

I dont think you can even say the JDM one has a reinforcement/crash bar hehe

turbowop

Quoting Whoodoo:
Is it just me, or do the USDM bumpers stick out farther than the JDM ones?

You're just now noticing this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Why do you think the JDM units look so much better. The car loses like 8" in length when you swap both front and rear, as well as probably 80lbs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek3.gif

NateCrisman

To be fair, JDM bumpers are nothing but cosmetics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

You can lose the same 90+lb of weight by taking off your USDM bumpers, removing the giant 40lb steel support beam, the 10lb block of foam from each end and putting the USDM urethane covers back on. Make a couple brackets out of home depot metal to hold up the original USDM bumper cover. This gets you all of the functional JDM bumper weight loss that makes your car faster for about $10 in materials and some elbow grease.

Here is the rear bracket I made..they are less than 2lb for the pair: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

667664967_8smoZ-L.jpg

667665049_Nece9-L.jpg

Whoodoo

Thanks for confirming this guys. Even though I do like the shorter profile you get from the JDM bumpers, I like the smoother lines of the USDM front. I also HATE saggy bumpers.

DR1665

Quoting Blown1:
So what happens when some crazy ass rear ends you with no bumper support?

Your 18 year old Mitsubishi gets more totaled out by the insurance company? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

4thStroke

I don't mind the long front USDM bumper, its the rear that bugs me.

The USDM bumper with the lip looks better yet and less like a fat lip.

NateCrisman

Quoting DR1665:
Quoting Blown1:
So what happens when some crazy ass rear ends you with no bumper support?

Your 18 year old Mitsubishi gets more totaled out by the insurance company? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

yeah, pretty much it only takes a dinged fender to total one of these since most insurance companies value them under $1500. That steel support isn't going to save the car, it's just designed to absorb a 5mph or less impact like parking lot bumps so as not to cause huge $ damage to taillights/trunk ect. If you get hit or rear ended at any real speed, the car is totaled either way since it transmits the force right to the main frame rail anyway. Not to mention, we were talking JDM bumpers in the original topic: JDM bumpers have no structure either so it's a wash.

JDM vs USDM bumper cover just comes down to the look and stigma being worth the $ or not.

My opinion is that JDM bumpers look better. If USDM bumpers weren't such an afterthought and didn't have that ridge where you see where the JDM bumper would have cut off maybe they would look better. I think the straight ahead shot of a USDM bumper car with the front cutout for an intercooler looks great with a huge one. I like how my car looked straight on but from the side it just looked weird. The back bumpers didnt bother me as much but I like the little lip on the bottom.

Oh and LOL for you just noticing they were shorter.

Muskrat

That beam is also for intrusion protection. It's less to keep the car safe, and more to keep YOU safe. It basicallt ties the fron of the car together in a crash, so the crumple zones on both sides will collapse and absorbe more energy. It will also keep a pole from going straight through the front of your car and pushing the engine into the passenger compartment.

That said, I'll still cut mine to fit my intercooler. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Whoodoo

Are there any JDM rear bumpers that have red side marker lights?

I'm probably way retarded for saying this, but my perfect set of bumpers would be a shortened USDM style front bumper and a JDM style rear bumper with some red side marker lights. Im sure that would require making completely custom bumpers front and rear though huh?

turbowop

You could cut them out to accomodate the side markers if need be. And I think somebody shortened a USDM rear bumper to JDM length. Curtis maybe? Something similar could probably be done with the USDM front. Seems like a lot of work but if you're up for it...

The only thing I dislike about the USDM bumpers is the length. They look like a a f***ing park bench they stick so far out. Bugs the absolute sh*t out of me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Muskrat

I sort of agree. It's a bit too long, but I think the JDM bumper makes it look too 'stub nosed'. Somewhere in the middle would be perfect, but I'd err on the longer side, actually.

turbowop

If you think the JDM bumpers look "snub-nosed", what do you think about probably 90% of newer cars? Most cars nowadays, like the Evo, don't even have a bumper line as it's all an integral part of the front of the car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned