GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » General VR4 Discussions » Re: How'd you meet your Gvr4.
Previous thread Next thread

Re: How'd you meet your Gvr4.

njgsx96
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 581565 posted 12/26/07 08:42 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Bought my 1996 Eclipse GSX new. Found out about ClubDSM in 1998. I built up my 2G to run 13s because at the time, that was considered fast. Eventually wanted more so I picked up a 1992 Talon TSi AWD from a lady at work and got it to run 11s. Sold that for parts and was out of the game for a couple years. Started to get the itch last year and eventually pulled the trigger and picked up quasimondo's VR4 and now here I am. Glutten for punishment once again!

| | | IP: (192.136.50.130) | Report this post to a Moderator

Kenny_Kline
belligerent idiot
1370/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 582473 posted 12/29/07 05:56 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
One morning, I get a phone call to pick up a mitsu galant to bring it to the junk yard to have it crushed. Just another day... tow a piece of crap to the junker. I get there and I see the galant. hmmmmm something isnt right. Why the hell does it have a VR4 badge on the back? I say to myself "YEAH RIGHT" thinking its 1. either the wrong car or 2. someone bought a VR4 badge and stuck it on there. I knew there were only 2000 of these cars made so I didnt beleive it was a VR4. For shits and giggles, I pop the hood. There she sits... a 4G63. NO FUCKING WAY!!! I offer my boss $200 for the weight of the car (thats how much he would of mad of the metal weight at the junk yard) and I told him that he wont have to pay me or pay for fuel to ring this car out there. He said fine, whatever, take it. Nobody seen the car and nobody had a clue. I took that thing and now I am a proud VR4 owner. Customer gave me the title and keys and told me what was wrong with it.... just the shifter linkage is damaged. Runs, starts up, only 2 4 R gears work.

So yeah.... thats my story. Saved one from getting crushed.

Kenny @ Dynotech Tuning
[email protected]

Posts: 789 | From: Seekonk, MA | Member Since: 12/27/07 | IP: (66.31.186.247) | Report this post to a Moderator

Nate
May I have your autograph?

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 582475 posted 12/29/07 07:07 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
First one: (Maroon Car)
It was 1992, and I was told I had to find a car, and so I started taking test drives in new cars at the time. I drove a few Sentra SE-Rs, I think I drove a Chevy Beretta GTZ, but I really wanted a Maxima. A friend and my gf at the time told me I needed to drive down to the capital an hour away where there were a ton of car dealers all in a row. We drove down, and the first dealer was Continental Mazda/Subaru, but I missed the main entrance, and had to pull into the entrace of their used car lot. I pulled in, and what is now the maroon car was sitting there. I knew what it was from the previous year's Auto Show, and drove it that day, and owned it about a week later. It's been wrecked and repaired a few times, and has gone through many "revisions" of a drivetrain, but rests comfortably in the garage under a cover to this day.

Second one: (White Car)
Harry had had me drive to Harrisburg to put a deposit on a really cheap white one that came up for sale for $1500 when they were still going for $6000+. It had 150K on it, and a dented corner of the driver's side trunk sheetmetal, but ran and was complete. Then, over New Year's that year (days later) he had me go get it and drive it home. He ended up selling most of the driveline out of it, and I was ready to get rid of my first Colt-Can, so I offered to buy the chassis for $800. He sold it to me, and I proceeded to put the goodies from my first Colt into the Galant, and made it an awesome daily driver. It served me well, I put another 110K on it, then when I wanted to get rid of it, I took the FMIC, the turbo kit, the race tranny, and the front suspension and swapped all of that stuff onto Dad's Galant. I then sold it for $5500.

Third one: (Dad's Galant)
After I'd had the first one for about a year, I noticed that my Dad and brothers kept borrowing my car when I'd come home from college. My Dad was looking for a new car at the time, but wasn't able to find any of the cars he liked with manual transmissions. (Caddy didn't offer one, and he isn't the kind of guy that would buy a BMW/Merc.) I asked if he would buy a GVR4 if I could find him one. He told me to find one, so two days later I drove down and found a green 1992 with 21000 miles on it. He bought it, and drove it from 1993 until last year, when he decided that it had developed too many quirks for him, and he decided to give it to me. I brought it home, rebuilt the engine, swapped on the full HKS turbo kit, and right now it's receiving a 4bolt rear, 5lug swap, and I have to yank the leaky rear PS lines. Are these projects ever really finished?

Nate

Posts: 944 | From: Worcester, Pa | Member Since: 02/23/01 | IP: (68.80.219.189) | Report this post to a Moderator

strizzo
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 583123 posted 12/31/07 09:09 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Posted my gas guzzling 1991 Eddie Bauer Bronco On Craigslist for sale/trade about mid June 2007. Guy offered #711/2000 to me even trade. After some info on the GVR4's from the internet, met up with the guy did some test driving fell in love with the power and smoothness of the ride. from then on she's been my baby.

| | | IP: (69.62.164.162) | Report this post to a Moderator

Sleepervr4
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 583169 posted 12/31/07 10:50 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Traded darkphoenix for my 2000 galant es. Saw the car up at a mini meet and loved it. Then when he put it for sale I offered the trade for it.

| | | IP: (67.101.255.37) | Report this post to a Moderator

strokin4dr
fighting them with a large needle
1280/2000
1135/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 583323 posted 12/31/07 05:36 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quote:

Posted my gas guzzling 1991 Eddie Bauer Bronco On Craigslist for sale/trade about mid June 2007. Guy offered #711/2000 to me even trade. After some info on the GVR4's from the internet, met up with the guy did some test driving fell in love with the power and smoothness of the ride. from then on she's been my baby.

That's pretty crazy.

1908- sold and missed.
1280- 2.3, FP 35R, E85, etc.
1135- 100% stock
'93 Mirage hatch- 4g63, AWD, etc (hoarding for build)

Posts: 2767 | From: Savannah, GA | Member Since: 08/30/05 | IP: (68.51.219.46) | Report this post to a Moderator

chris
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 583538 posted 01/01/08 08:54 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
We found #78 just by throwin gvr4 for sale into google. It was on a local message board in CT. I had to jump quick on it due to the fact he had 2 other people that wanted it and actually they were on here.I ended up getting in touch with the owner and headed out to UCONN to check it out. The owner just drove it up and the street to school and back since he only lived about 3mins away from uconn.. 78 did have its issues, really bad spuder down low and went away on the top end etc. Come to find out we pulled the head and she had a bad valve... out with the old and in with the new.. now she has a jdm 6bolt, and shep stg1 trans. My brother and I have owned her for 2 years and still not back on the road... but she is close! But he was only the 2nd owner and bought it from the org. who was a olllder laddy that was allways kept in the garage in upstate NY were he drove up to get it.

| | | IP: (72.215.52.28) | Report this post to a Moderator

TWEAKD4
Member ++
59/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 583635 posted 01/02/08 09:24 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quote:

First one: (Maroon Car)
It was 1992, and I was told I had to find a car, and so I started taking test drives in new cars at the time. I drove a few Sentra SE-Rs, I think I drove a Chevy Beretta GTZ, but I really wanted a Maxima. A friend and my gf at the time told me I needed to drive down to the capital an hour away where there were a ton of car dealers all in a row. We drove down, and the first dealer was Continental Mazda/Subaru, but I missed the main entrance, and had to pull into the entrace of their used car lot. I pulled in, and what is now the maroon car was sitting there. I knew what it was from the previous year's Auto Show, and drove it that day, and owned it about a week later. It's been wrecked and repaired a few times, and has gone through many "revisions" of a drivetrain, but rests comfortably in the garage under a cover to this day.

Second one: (White Car)
Harry had had me drive to Harrisburg to put a deposit on a really cheap white one that came up for sale for $1500 when they were still going for $6000+. It had 150K on it, and a dented corner of the driver's side trunk sheetmetal, but ran and was complete. Then, over New Year's that year (days later) he had me go get it and drive it home. He ended up selling most of the driveline out of it, and I was ready to get rid of my first Colt-Can, so I offered to buy the chassis for $800. He sold it to me, and I proceeded to put the goodies from my first Colt into the Galant, and made it an awesome daily driver. It served me well, I put another 110K on it, then when I wanted to get rid of it, I took the FMIC, the turbo kit, the race tranny, and the front suspension and swapped all of that stuff onto Dad's Galant. I then sold it for $5500.

Third one: (Dad's Galant)
After I'd had the first one for about a year, I noticed that my Dad and brothers kept borrowing my car when I'd come home from college. My Dad was looking for a new car at the time, but wasn't able to find any of the cars he liked with manual transmissions. (Caddy didn't offer one, and he isn't the kind of guy that would buy a BMW/Merc.) I asked if he would buy a GVR4 if I could find him one. He told me to find one, so two days later I drove down and found a green 1992 with 21000 miles on it. He bought it, and drove it from 1993 until last year, when he decided that it had developed too many quirks for him, and he decided to give it to me. I brought it home, rebuilt the engine, swapped on the full HKS turbo kit, and right now it's receiving a 4bolt rear, 5lug swap, and I have to yank the leaky rear PS lines. Are these projects ever really finished?

Nate

Nate I am glad after all of these years you still have a love for these cars. I have been around the DSM scene since 95 and see many once diehards hang up the towel for something else. I know these cars are frustrating but they are so much fun when things are going right.

Craig
12.926/106.34mph best ET Race/pump mix
13.206/109.21mph best trap 93/E85 and meth on slipping clutch

Posts: 605 | From: Fort Wayne, IN | Member Since: 03/24/02 | IP: (198.76.194.66) | Report this post to a Moderator

89coltgt
Hand Model

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 584219 posted 01/03/08 01:29 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
These stories are great. I actually ran across a local guy selling parts off of 1273 on ebay, and contacted him for some parts for the colt. Arrived at his house, bought the parts from him and showed a little interest in the rest of the car, a few weeks later, he emailed me and gave me a price. Needless to say, I picked her up.
I then decided to post it up a few months later as I didn't have time to get it put back together, sold the car to Geoff(Mr Hyde). He then put it together, only to be lacking a few things and lost interested. Then I traded him 1273 back for my 92 talon and put it all back together.

89 Colt GT-14b, 650's, dsmlink, 2600
89 Colt GT-Stock
88 d50 4g63t, southbend dxd clutch, crower 272's, dsmlink

Posts: 1027 | From: Ste Genevieve, MO | Member Since: 03/14/06 | IP: (70.241.197.233) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 5971

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.24 seconds in which 0.167 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page