The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bought an ECU... is it fried???

I purchased an ECU off the boards from another member for the 90 GGSX that I will be DDing until it dies and I can swap it over to VR4 status. I bought the board sight-unseen (never will buy something without pics again). Is this even usable to test if the car will start? I don't want to damage anything else by using this though...
IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

Terry Posten

DO NOT plug that into your car.

Those are the ISC drivers and that will kill your ISC.

I can try and clean that off the board and repalce the drivers if you want to try.

I charge $5.00 each for the drivers (used) and cleaning should be around $20.00.

Worse-case should cost you around $55 for cleaning, replacement, and return shipping.

Terry Posten

On second look, those caps need to be replaced as well.

IncorpoRatedX

Who did you buy it from???

Not good when our members start selling completely charred parts. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/banghead.gif

I will face his face for now. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/smile.gif He claims it worked fine before he swapped to VR4 components so I am just asking for a full refund. If things get ugly then I may disclose his identity. For his sake of it being an innocent mistake, not blackmail. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/devil.gif

Terry Posten

I garentee that his ISC did not work and that black smoot on the board is conductive and could even cause a bigger fire if it makes it way through the humiseal coating.

BTW - A shorted coil on the ISC caused that. That is why you want to check your coil resistance BEFORE you plug in a new ECU.

You need to have 30-40ohms on all 4 coil points.

mikus

It's like 28-30 for the original ISC, and 40 for the 'new design' (which IIRC are more...black) ones no? Would 40 maybe be open coil, on an original ISC?

Quote:
...makes it way through the humiseal coating.

that's right next to the gigawatt inducer, in case you were wondering. It's made from real seals, so you know it's good!

jepherz

Staff member
Quote:
I will face his face for now. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/smile.gif He claims it worked fine before he swapped to VR4 components so I am just asking for a full refund. If things get ugly then I may disclose his identity. For his sake of it being an innocent mistake, not blackmail. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/devil.gif

I agree that you should get a full refund, but I wouldn't go blaming him/her for selling shotty parts just yet. Chances are that still ran in his/her car and they didn't notice the ISC wasn't working correctly (correct me if I'm wrong!).

Quote:
get your money back!

In the process. Seller wants to be sure it's not my old one, which is a good move. I am confident in my reputation and am hoping that this will be handled professionally. Seller is also stating that because it was not gaurenteed and I never asked to have it opened beforehand, it may not be covered. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/dunno.gif

strokin4dr

Quote:
seller better get over that.

+1000000

maroonmetallic

I think depending on price, you get what you pay for.. However, I will say that I feel it should be obligatory for them to crack the thing open to see if there is any damage that is visible. Like Exhibit 'A'.

-Shawn

IncorpoRatedX

Quote:
Quote:
get your money back!

In the process. Seller wants to be sure it's not my old one, which is a good move. I am confident in my reputation and am hoping that this will be handled professionally. Seller is also stating that because it was not gaurenteed and I never asked to have it opened beforehand, it may not be covered. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/dunno.gif

Sounds like trouble brewing. How much did you pay for it?

I paid $75 shipped.

The story goes that it was from a Galant GSX that had a t-belt snap. He swapped over and made it a VR4, so he had no reason to look inside the ECU. Here is something that kinda bugs me... If you look at the picture, this "90 GGSX N/T" ECU is inside a T/E/L ECU case, meaning someone, somewhere, either swapped the boards, or this was the wrong one entirely. If said seller purchased a M/T turbo ECU with a Galant case then there would be no reason to even think of reusing the case. If the seller purchased a M/T turbo ECU from a T/E/L, he would have had to REUSE the Galant case, and in doing so, would notice SEVERE burn marks on the case.

Cliffs: Something is fishy

IncorpoRatedX

is the top case from an NT? i get what you're saying but i notice the charred marks on the lid so either the top part is from that ecu or the ecu blew after it was swapped. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/dunno.gif

A response to my asking for a refund:

Quote:
ok, well, i posted up our situation on a couple other boards that i'm pretty well known on and asked for advice. the responses were limited to 3 different ones.
1. most said to offer a 50% refund as neither of us intentionally did anything wrong and let you keep the ecu
2. a few said don't refund anything. used parts are used parts and are sold as is, esp. electronic items. peopel should know this and not expect everything in life to be guaranteed.
3. a few said to gtive a full refund as the part was junk.

well, the truth is, i do believe you, i don't know how the ecu could have fried like it did as the car was running before the t belt broke, obviously or the t belt couldn't have broken and bent all 16 valves. how it happened, we'll never know. i do trust in most people on this board as our community is very small.
i'm going to offer you a 50% refund on the cost of the ecu minus shipping. shipping and paypal fees worked out to about $15, so ecu cost was $60. i'll shoot you $30 via paypal asap and you can keep the ecu and put the $30 towards repairs.

Terry, you have said it will cost $55 dollars + money to replace capacitors to get this thing in running order. The partial refund will cover less than half of the costs towards repairing the ECU.

I don't want this ECU. I will NEVER trust this in my car. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/mad.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings